What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hulling

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Small WAFFLE on one of our small crops.
Hulling, that I do each year, has nothing to do with boats, or sticking my arm up an emu puppet's neck.
It is the separation of, in this case, the soft outer covering, the hull, from the outer shell of nuts, specifically our almond crop.
Now the temp is up into mid thirties C, almond harvesting is getting closer.
The tree is looking quite full and promising, and when the hull splits, I shall pick, or whack with a pole if out of reach, to collect those at that ripe stage.
They will then sit in the sun in a crate to dry and harden the hull, so that I can commence hulling.
Simply put, it is ripping the outer flesh off, sometimes needing coaxing with a modest knife.
The result is a pile of almonds in their shells which you might recognise and buy just about anywhere.
Unfortunately, I get a bit carried away most years with my estimate of the crop.
A bucket of almonds, off the tree, is reduced to less than half that when hulled and, after drying further and applying a nutcracker, a five kilo or more harvest yields maybe five hundred grams of edible nuts.
But they are scrummy and nobody else is likely to get a look in; good job the missus is not keen on them.
Just in case, not clear - pictured: right to left - green as from the tree, nut in shell after hulling, nut after shelling.

Attachments

• almond.jpg
    almond.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 410

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I'll repeat what I said on an earlier post - you learn something new everyday on here !!

Cheers Nutty. :beer: