What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

How to rectify rough feeling paintwork

A

Anonymous

Lately, the front of the car bodywork feels quite rough when washing it, and just wondered best ways/methods to go about sorting this out, and the washing mitt doesn't seem to be doing any good no matter how hard I try. Never done any claying either, as it scars the hell out of me thinking I will do more damage than good.

Some tips for a non-detailer would be appreciated to get the car's front back to better days please.

Thanks in advance.

RCZ1

Reaction score
It sounds like you've got some contamination on the paintwork, but just to check, they are not stone chips are they?

If it is contamination, then you need to decontaminate. An easy way to do this is by getting some decontamination products. Two excellent and highly regarded products are Autosmart Tardis, for tar removal and Carpro Iron x for iron / industrial fallout.

After washing the car, you spray on Tardis, let it dwell for about 3 or 4 minutes, you will see the tar start to run, then agitate it with a cloth, then rinse thoroughly. Then spray on Iron X, beware the smell!, leave it for 4 or 5 minutes. You will see as it reacts to the iron contaminants that it turns red/purple. Again you can agitate with a cloth to help the process but no need to rub hard. Then rinse thoroughly. Don't let either product dry on the car. Do a panel at a time. I throw away the cloths After using these two products as they are very pungent.

After using these 2 products your paintwork should feel a lot smoother. A lot of people these days don't bother claying after doing these two processes, as they are excellent at what they are designed for. If you have a wax on your car, you will need to reapply it where you have done this process. If you have a synthetic sealant it will have reduced its effectiveness, so may be worthwhile reapplying.

So doing it this way, you don't have to worry about claying and you get silky smooth paint back again.

I hope this helps you out. :)

A

Anonymous

I would do all the car but you can tackle it in small phases:
1) wash the car
2) clay the harsh area, check the directions that comes with the clay bar, some use water other use a detailer which is usually with the clay bar itself
3) use Iron X (if needed) to remove metallic particles from the spray
4) clean and prefarably polish the area using a dual action buffer, with some cutting compound
5) clean and re apply a finishing product preferably using a dual action buffer
6) clean
7) apply a sealer
8) re apply a thin layer of wax with dual action buffer
9) clean the wax off

A

Anonymous

Thanks RCZ1 and gatt767. I think I will try RCZ1's advice first as I don't like the idea of claying.. Next weekend if it's dry.
Thanks both for the informative replies. :)

RCZ1

Reaction score
Probably best to give it a polish after too, with whichever polish you have. Let us know how you get on :)

A

Anonymous

I used ironx on 2 week old car and was shocked at the amount of contaminates where on a new car. The 2 rear flanks looked like they were bleeding after using it good job thou its does stint the place out. Far better and safer than claying u car. easily mar ur paint when claying if u don't use enough lube :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
I used ironx on 2 week old car and was shocked at the amount of contaminates where on a new car. The 2 rear flanks looked like they were bleeding after using it good job thou its does stint the place out. Far better and safer than claying u car. easily mar ur paint when claying if u don't use enough lube :thumbup:

Mac is this ironX acidic like wheel cleaners :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
bigmac3161 said:

Just bought 1 from cleanyourcar.

Highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced (6~7pH) car paint, wheels & glass cleaner (safe for all wheels including aluminum and alloys). Doesnt mention the smell!

RCZ1

Reaction score
Yes pH neutral so won't do any harm and is excellent at getting baked on brake dust off your alloys.

I used it on Saturday when cleaning the husband's car. Brake dust is a nightmare on his car. Just don't leave it to dry on the car. 4 or 5 minutes is long enough.

A

Anonymous

good stuff then if it can be used on paint and alloys, years ago i used wonderwheels on my diamond cut alloys on my wee grande punto and i think that was the beginning of the end to their lovely finish as they started to peel a few weeks later i have 2 tiny stonechips on the rear alloys wont it do the same as wonderwheels :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

jc73uk said:
jassyo06 said:
bigmac3161 said:

Just bought 1 from cleanyourcar.

Highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced (6~7pH) car paint, wheels & glass cleaner (safe for all wheels including aluminum and alloys). Doesnt mention the smell!
Yep safe to use on all types of paint and alloys. But i personally wouldn't use it on the arches or roof. It don't mention smell but believe me u won't store it in the house after u open it. Just don't let it dry on surface apart from that really simple to use and very effective :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Jass I use Ironx on my Onyx black Solstice wheels and its fine :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Got my Iron X today ready for the weekend. Says new cherry smell, so maybe it might not be as unpleasant as some have mentioned?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336760835.693692.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336760835.693692.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,168
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336760843.810105.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336760843.810105.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,168
A

Anonymous

I can say that is the same as I use and do not have a problem with the reported smell of the original. Make sure you shake the bottle well before use, as it has Cherry Oil in it which sits on the top. So if you use all that lovely oil in one go you'll probably find the remaining product will not be perfumed

A

Anonymous

the next batch in the country which i think will be coming in in the next couple of weeks they have increased the cherry smell a touch more i think i am used to the smell now as its not that bad to me sounds advice given by rcz1 as well