What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

How to: Change/upgrade halogen H7 dipped beam bulbs

A

Anonymous

FOR HALOGEN EQUIPPED CARS ONLY

FITTING TIME: 10 MINS (if you can work out what the hell is going on in there - Peugeot couldn't have made access worse if they had really tried!). Do not start this as it is going dark - if you're lucky like me, it will take 10 mins, if not it could take hours!

REQUIRED: Child hands, Patience of a saint, some H7 bulbs, a mirror/phone camera

1) Treat yourself to a set of Phillips Dipped Beam H7s +100% bulbs from RCZPERFORMANCE
2) Put the headlights on and check which ones are the dipped beams (NOT the sidelights!). Open the bonnet, we'll start with the left hand light as you look towards the back of the car (reasons why will become apparent shortly!)
3) Remove the rubber cover circled below:

4) Use a small mirror/phone camera to take a look at where you are working... it's pretty tight in there!

Take a mental note of the electrical connector orientation (contacts are horizontal) and remove the electrical connector (1) by hooking your 2nd and 3rd fingers above and below the wires and pulling/wiggling the plastic connector gently. The connector/wire combo should then slide off - DO NOT pull on just the wires!

Now the fun part... press in with your fingertips (towards the bulb metal backplate/back of the headlight), one at a time on each of the two spring clip lugs shown (2) moving each of them outwards in turn (left goes left, right goes right) as per the arrows on the diagram. They sit on a T piece shaped bit of metal so you need to get it off this before it will then swing down, allowing you to remove the bulb. Make a note of the orientation of the bulb as you remove it (lug is at the 12 o'clock/top).

5) Put the new bulb in, same orientation as the old one (you can see it is located correctly by looking into the headlight), then push each arm of spring clip back on - you'll have to rock them both out slightly to clear the T piece, before pushing them back (towards the metal bulb backplate) and then on to the arms of the T piece.

6) Refit the electrical connector (in the same orientation as when you took it off)

7) Refit the rubber cover

8) Test

9) Repeat for the right hand side, which you will have to do pretty much by feel!! (hence why we did the left one first!) and test

10) Go and pour yourself a well-earned :beer: You've earned it!

If you found this guide useful, please give it a LIKE! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that I am going to fit mine soon and have been hoping for something like this to be posted.
With regard to removal of 1. Am I correct that the entire black plastic part is removed or do you mean just the brown and yellow wires are removed from the black plastic thing.

A

Anonymous

Entire thing, the black plastic bit and wires are all one unit :thumbup: Have edited guide to make that section a bit clearer, thanks for feedback...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for sorting that for me.
I'm not sure anyone else will be a stupid as me - but you never know.
I have put the missus on a diet to get her ready for the installation !
Are the main beam bulbs any easier to fit ?
From memory I have bought 2 x H1 and 2 x H7.

A

Anonymous

The instructions were really useful thanks.
I / We fitted the bulbs back in May or June.
To be honest I / We found it quite easy, although a tad
fiddly.

A

Anonymous

Just done mine after my passenger side went, what a fecking pain they are !! No room at all to do anything, didn't take too long but still wish they'd made it easier to see lol. Thanks for the guide !

A

Anonymous

mistral_blue said:

FITTING TIME: 10 MINS (if you can work out what the hell is going on in there - Peugeot couldn't have made access worse if they had really tried!). Do not start this as it is going dark - if you're lucky like me, it will take 10 mins, if not it could take hours!

:thumbup:

Blew a headlamp bulb and just changed it myself! Saved me £8 from not getting the halfords guy to do it :dance: very impressed with myself considering i've never even changed a tyre :D love learning new skills though and am loving all the help on this forum!

Thanks so much for the tutorial and pictures! I have very long thin fingers and did it quite easily in five minutes :)

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Bit of an old thread but I changed my hid bulbs today..drivers side a doddle easy..the passenger side….:mad::mad::mad: may god be with you the hell im going through that again….

1955drr

Reaction score
Same for me, managed to change the DRL bulbs for led but the main and dipped beam can wait for another day when the skin on my knuckles has regrown!!

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Going by the original bulbs phillips d1s they must have been in there from new 2013 and hids do go off after couple of years…Looking at videos on YouTube etc Osram nightbreakers lightning seem to be the best but can’t bring myself to pay £120’pair:oops:
So went purely by reviews and Winpower hids d1s 8000k came up trumps with good reviews and at £22 through Amazon thought I give them a try at that money
As I mentioned earlier drivers was easy passenger side the steel braided wiring that goes to the block connector for the base of the bulb was stuck under a tab in the corner but once wiggled free and undid couple headlight and grill bolts to pull headlight forward a few inches makes life easier… Noticeable difference even in the day will give them a try to night…

How long will they last who knows but at £22 pair they worth a go….

Attachments

• 47CB47D5-222C-4576-89B6-F2B93ADDF570.jpeg
    47CB47D5-222C-4576-89B6-F2B93ADDF570.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 26
  • C6778758-078A-4880-B769-6CF10E9A563C.jpeg
    C6778758-078A-4880-B769-6CF10E9A563C.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score

REQUIRED: Child hands, Patience of a saint, some H7 bulbs, a mirror/phone camera

1) Treat yourself to a set of Phillips Dipped Beam H7s +100% bulbs from RCZPERFORMANCE
2) Put the headlights on and check which ones are the dipped beams (NOT the sidelights!). Open the bonnet, we'll start with the left hand light as you look towards the back of the car (reasons why will become apparent shortly!)
3) Remove the rubber cover circled below:

4) Use a small mirror/phone camera to take a look at where you are working... it's pretty tight in there!

Take a mental note of the electrical connector orientation (contacts are horizontal) and remove the electrical connector (1) by hooking your 2nd and 3rd fingers above and below the wires and pulling/wiggling the plastic connector gently. The connector/wire combo should then slide off - DO NOT pull on just the wires!

Now the fun part... press in with your fingertips (towards the bulb metal backplate/back of the headlight), one at a time on each of the two spring clip lugs shown (2) moving each of them outwards in turn (left goes left, right goes right) as per the arrows on the diagram. They sit on a T piece shaped bit of metal so you need to get it off this before it will then swing down, allowing you to remove the bulb. Make a note of the orientation of the bulb as you remove it (lug is at the 12 o'clock/top).

5) Put the new bulb in, same orientation as the old one (you can see it is located correctly by looking into the headlight), then push each arm of spring clip back on - you'll have to rock them both out slightly to clear the T piece, before pushing them back (towards the metal bulb backplate) and then on to the arms of the T piece.

6) Refit the electrical connector (in the same orientation as when you took it off)

7) Refit the rubber cover

8) Test

9) Repeat for the right hand side, which you will have to do pretty much by feel!! (hence why we did the left one first!) and test

10) Go and pour yourself a well-earned 🍺 You've earned it!

If you found this guide useful, please give it a LIKE! 👍
Well done & good info if only they could have made the wings a foot longer this job would have been half the battle! 👌🥇👏

David Foster

Reaction score
A very helpful post . Thanks. Am yet to buy / fit better bulbs ( sorely needed )but when I do I will reread this post several times.

Psdubs

Reaction score
I brought a set of Phillips H7 bulbs and got a couple of blue capless bulbs in the pack.
Can't work out where they go.
Anyone know what there for?