What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

how reliable are rcz

dimma

Reaction score
hi
just joined the forum i am looking at getting an rcz but am being put off by negative reviews ,so my question is
how reliable are they ,are there loads of problems with them and also best one to buy
i have a 205 gti turbo technics dimma that i have owned for 29 years and i like peugeots ,but i dont want something
that is going to give me non stop problems, some people say they are great cars others say they are the worst cars they have ever owned ,i know every car can go wrong but i dont want something that will go wrong all the time
also looking at an audi tt but will have to drop to an 07/08 for my budget £6500

wilsofar

Reaction score
This is a difficult one to answer.

Initially I had a lot of work done ,timing chain,coil packs ,plugs,high pressure fuel pump.,but I felt that some of the causes were mis diagnosed by the dealer and hadn't needed doing as the timing chain had been replaced 20k earlier by previous owner! Mine is a standard 156 petrol with 93k so at that mileage there would have been some renewal necessary anyway.

Later models (mine is 2010) had up graded timing chains which were more reliable.(do check and buy after that date )

A year later (albeit with only another 5k) it is running absolutely perfectly and I love it !

It is pot luck but very likely any problems should have already been sorted.

In other words go for it but with a whif of caution.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Had my 2013 200GT 5 years, probably the most reliable car I’ve had.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum :greetings-wavingblue: as you stated any car can go wrong and forums and owners sites will be full of owners with problems because that’s where the information is to solve problems for specific vehicles. A recent poll on the fb owners group, which asked how many owners had had to have their RCZ’s in to a dealers or independent garage for fault diagnosis in the last 3 years, the results showed that over two thirds of owners who participated had not had any problems at all. :dance:

The common issues are well documented on the forum, just search old posts.
As with any second hand car purchase quality low mileage that has got a good service history. There are loads for sale so be very choosy. The majority of petrol cars will have had the timing kit changed for the new up dated parts but these will fail if regular high quality oil changes are not done also regular oil level checks are critical because some do seem to use oil and its best to keep the oil level on max.

Check for flattened jacking points it’s quite a common issue and can be costly to repair.
I bought my car over 5 years ago had to have timing chain kit done at 17k when I bought it 31K now with no problems at all.
Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on :beer:

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
I have mine since 2012

I have changed 2 times the battery and nothing else except from oil filters and spark plugs

I think it's reliable isn't it?

Nemi

Reaction score
I have mine since 2017

I have changed HP fuel pump, timing chain, thermostat, LED brake light, coolant level sensor (and currently it is faulty again), flywheel sometimes makes a ticking noise... but i still love my RCZ ;)

D

Deleted User

I don't think I've ever been on a 'car forum' where there isn't infinite things to worry yourself about when you pick through the various threads.

I do find lots of people with problems will join the forum to vent their spleen or (quite rightly) try to get to the bottom of their issue, so you'll always get a high volume of 'scare' threads. Nobody goes on to post how reliable their car is.

If you look at the percentage of owners with very few issues vs those with lots of issues you'd not worry so much.

I've had my GT200 for over a year and haven't had any issues at all aside from being unable to walk away from it and not keep looking back.

My advice to you is buy the best you can with a good service history. When you have it, look after it and make sure the oil is always topped up and you'll be just fine.

And if it does break down, you can still look at it. They're bloody gorgeous.

Ian B

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I can remember all the warnings I got thrown at me before I put the order on the R.
Don't do it, they are so unreliable!
The engine on those RCZ is a mess! Error codes all over the place!
The TMPS causes the tyres to deflate after every hi-speed drive!
The electronics will play Christmas tree on your dashboard!
The world is gonna end when you buy one of these!
Etc, etc.

And I responded: bollocks! Not with me!

The RCZ proved pretty reliable over 5 years of heavy-duty usage. Daily driver, lots of press-the-pedal-to-the-metal driving, lots of long hauls on the motorways, plenty of spirited B roads drives, occasional visits to the race tracks.

Never ever had she let me down. Yes, I had parts replaced. But most were done under guarantee and the rest never caused a break down while on the road.
I compare the reliability to my other car, a Lexus. The bar is set pretty high, if not the highest.
Still my RCZ never let me down.

dingley48

Reaction score
had my 156 since march has never missed a beat only downside I should have bought one earlier :dance: