What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hiding a satnav power cable

A

Anonymous

Hi guys and girls,
I've got my tomom stuck to the analogue clock. I know a lot if people do this so I was wondering if anyone had found a solution to hide the power lead?

Also is it possible to buy a shallow usb charger plug? Searched everywhere and the smallest/shallowest I could find was for Elite cigarettes.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

You could be right Ron.
Halfords offer a hard wire service for £29.99 but I'd rather try a diy vasectomy than let them near it :lol:

A

Anonymous

photojohn said:
You could be right Ron.
Halfords offer a hard wire service for £29.99 but I'd rather try a diy vasectomy than let them near it :lol:

The fact is that this is a temporary measure and needs to remain so for security reasons. I would want to leave my car with no signs that such a device is/was ever present. I alternate between TomTom and built in. The built in is ok for most things but when I want to see which road to turn down or want to insert a proper post code I will do as you do with a TomTom

A

Anonymous

I agree with the above, it's about as good as it gets without surgery.

I leave mine in all the time and went for a taller twin one from Nokia because it hides the flap better. I tried the near-flush ones but didn't like the way the flap stood proud.

If I could be bothered to remove it when not in use I'd have stuck with the flush one.

Btw, good choice of music :cool:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

A

Anonymous

Bought one like Abzy linked too but I agree about the flap Steve. Not the end of the world but I think I'll always be on the look out for any new types of plug.

It would be possible to route a wire through the vent system and hard wire to the fuse box. But as I am limited on modifications I can do that isn't an option.

And well spotted mate, one of the best bands :cool:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
stevebasshead said:
I agree with the above, it's about as good as it gets without surgery.

I leave mine in all the time and went for a taller twin one from Nokia because it hides the flap better. I tried the near-flush ones but didn't like the way the flap stood proud.

If I could be bothered to remove it when not in use I'd have stuck with the flush one.

Btw, good choice of music :cool:

Take the flap off :cool:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
photojohn said:
Bought one like Abzy linked too but I agree about the flap Steve. Not the end of the world but I think I'll always be on the look out for any new types of plug.

It would be possible to route a wire through the vent system and hard wire to the fuse box. But as I am limited on modifications I can do that isn't an option.

I was thinking more of, you could route the lead through one of the middle vent, so you can tuck it in when not in use, and then tap into one of the power leads behind the radio :)

A

Anonymous

not an ideal solution but i use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Loader-SC8 ... B000ODRNDA

its fixed to the arm that the sat nav mounts to with the cable running the 3 inches to it, its not the same as being plugged in but offers enough charge to keep my garmin running on a long trip.

the best thing is when i remove the sat nav i can do it as a one piece affair, no cables to route :thumbup:

i will try to get some pics.

A

Anonymous

Abzynthe said:
photojohn said:

I was thinking more of, you could route the lead through one of the middle vent, so you can tuck it in when not in use, and then tap into one of the power leads behind the radio :)

Not a bad idea! ;-)

A

Anonymous

lee055 said:
not an ideal solution but i use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Loader-SC8 ... B000ODRNDA

its fixed to the arm that the sat nav mounts to with the cable running the 3 inches to it, its not the same as being plugged in but offers enough charge to keep my garmin running on a long trip.

the best thing is when i remove the sat nav i can do it as a one piece affair, no cables to route :thumbup:

i will try to get some pics.

That's an interesting little gadget. I've steared clear of solar chargers ever since one drained the battery on my boat. But I expect the technology has come along way in the last few years.

A

Anonymous

This looks better than before. Has anyone ever come across an L shapped USB lead or is that not possible?

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Hmm.
Ive just found this.

Way more useful than the standard socket ;)

You could put that in, but also have a similar on attached under the centre console so the cable runs through the centre console up to the vent.

A

Anonymous

Abzynthe said:
Hmm.
Ive just found this.

Way more useful than the standard socket ;)

You could put that in, but also have a similar on attached under the centre console so the cable runs through the centre console up to the vent.

where did you find that ?

A

Anonymous

photojohn said:
This looks better than before. Has anyone ever come across an L shapped USB lead or is that not possible?

Yep, I've got several left- and right-angle USB cables and adaptors. I got one adaptor off eBay from a Chinese seller that rotates through almost any angle which has proved more robust than I expected.

@Abz, yeah I could but knowing my luck I'd snap it off! Still, I guess it wouldn't matter if an almost flush one were there permanently...right, where's me hammer?... :D

Abzynthe

Reaction score
stevebasshead said:
@Abz, yeah I could but knowing my luck I'd snap it off! Still, I guess it wouldn't matter if an almost flush one were there permanently...right, where's me hammer?... :D

Or just get the flush usb one I posted a moment ago, that replaces the whole thing ;)

A

Anonymous

or mount the flush connector up into the footwell and then run the cable up and into the wee cubby below the stereo, boom hidden and completly removable if needed :dance: and when not in use you can store the cable in the cubby hole

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Good idea :)
I might do that, or you could just cut out a hole in the cubby hole and put the usb thing there, and tuck all the wires in there when in use and remove when not :) That way you can use it for other things aswell.