What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hi there - and a question about updating diagnostics

Berlingo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself as a noobie. I own an RCZ 1600,not sure if this narrows the field as I know nothing about cars and actually bought an RCZ as I love the shape! So many cars look so boxy and similar nowadays and the RCZ is something different.

I have been shielding and so have not used my car for three months and when I did I got a message to say there was an engine fault. A local garage did a diagnostic which produced a set of codes but when they cleared them none of them returned so they concluded that it was likely due to the car having been stood so long.

They did recommend going to a dealer to have the diagnostic sysytem updated, I just wondered if this is a thing and if anyone has done this or would advise it?

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what they mean?
Unless to have it checked using dealer level equipment for anything they can't access?

Berlingo

Reaction score
They did say that one of the faults showing had been superknock which could be expensive if it really was a fault. I've searched it on the forums and read about timing chain or decoke being possibly required and although I have no knowledge at all on these things I can only try to make a guess what their concern was.

I wonder if they mean that the diagnostics should be updated incase the superknock really is a problem but the existing diagnostics aren't detecting it when they should be doing?

Thanks for the swift reply and sorry if my guess makes no sense!

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll assume based on previous experience they're using equipment that can't interrogate the rather picky Peugeot/Citroen ECUs.
The only equipment I'd ever recommend is a laptop and Diagbox/Peugeot Planet, exactly what a dealer would use.

Superknock could well mean it needs a decoke. Not overly expensive, apparently MINI dealers do walnut decokes and are reasonably priced.

Berlingo

Reaction score
Thanks again.

I guess my best bet is taking it to a Peugeot dealer for a proper diagnostic scan and see what it turns up

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
There are plenty of folk about with equipment. I have it, unfortunately I also have a dead laptop currently.
www.peugeotforums.com have a "planet map" of people who also have the equipment. Maybe there is someone local who will have a look for you, I normally ask for a bottle or two of beer in return.

Pedro

Reaction score
The superknock? can be the Knock sensor is not performing as it supposed to this can trigger the ECU to delay the Timing it could also be an electrical circuit fault as in a short in the wiring or in the actual knock sensor harness if the engine required walnut blasting (decoke) it would probably be suffering performance issues so I would change the sensor as for he Diag upgrade very little can be done unless the ECU has been tampered with as all modern cars have a bulletproof built in onboard diagnostic system installed in the Factory

Berlingo

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll have look and see if anyone nearby can help, I'd be more than willing to spot a few beers for anyone who could.

I'm in South Yorkshire by the way

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum.. Just wondering where in South Yorkshire you are as I know of a couple of places that I would highly recommend....
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I would speak to the guys at Peter Ambrose on 01977522800 as they were recommend by Peugeot UK and the RCZs are not strangers to them as I know many owners who have used them and still do, myself included.... What the price of a telephone call nowadays....
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Karen n Co

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, I think the problem just lies with the amount of time the cars been stood, I’m tipping after 3months your battery charge may have been quite low and these cars electrical systems don’t like low batteries and throw up all sorts of spurious faults, if your cars driving ok with no problems and no further dash warnings then I would just make sure you give the car a good long run and I’m sure you’ll be ok.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
As Neil says, Peugeots are very picky about batteries.
For example, one of my 407s decided to forget about the position of one of its windows. And my 406 had a memory lapse regarding its climate control.
Both because of old/poor batteries.,

Berlingo

Reaction score
Thanks again guys, the garage did say I should take it out for a long run and I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and see what happens, I'll report back about whether any new warnings show up.

Berlingo

Reaction score
I took it out for a run yesterday, it felt very strange after all this time.

No warning lights came on so I'm hoping for the best for now, thanks to everyone for all the help and making me feel so welcome to the forums.

Berlingo

Reaction score
Just to keep you updated I contacted the dealership who told me there was a recall on my car for something to do with the diagnostics, it's going in next Friday, I will let you know what happens.

Berlingo

Reaction score
I got it updated and whilst I was there the dealer did a "free check" for me and found out it needed £635 of work done!