What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hi All, looking at buying an RCZ

ChrisRH

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Thought I would join up and try and see what I am about to let myself in for!!

I'm changing job in January and currently have a company Audi A3 however new job does not come with a car so will be buying my own.

Looking at the RCZ as fancy something a bit different. Work commute will be less than 12 miles a day then it will be weekends. Kids are now all in Uni so its just me and the mrs so figure its a good time to go for something non family vehicle wise for a change although she has a 3008 if we need space.

I'm just starting my journey and not in a real hurry to buy unless something really good becomes available. My budget will be up to £6,500, what do you guys think I should be looking at year and mileage for that?
Have read some horrible reviews on the RCZ for reliability, are they really that bad or is it greatly exaggerated?
Parts wise what are they like on price and how easy are the parts to come by?

Thanks

ZerokoolRCZ

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have only had my RCZ for 3 months, So far so good, great drivers car, look amazing, I have the 200hp and is great fun, don't know if you know, but these are made in Austria not France and would say have better build quality, when I took my radio out I found Audi wiring :), not too much plastic in the interior, if you get the right model, leather seats, door cards and even the dash,
Yes the rear seats are for for small kids or dogs only really, but they do fold down to give an even bigger boot which is a good size anyway, it does have a hard ride but it is a sports coupe, and don't forget, as the name says, designed by Zagoto, Racing Concept Zagoto

I travelled 300 miles to get mine, 2013 with 41k on it, payed £7.5k

good luck with your searching.

tempImageFXRrrV.jpg with

Nemi

Reaction score
Have read some horrible reviews on the RCZ for reliability, are they really that bad or is it greatly exaggerated?
Parts wise what are they like on price and how easy are the parts to come by?
Prince engines (petrol) have a reputation for being unreliable. I have owned two RCZs and both had various engine issues. Parts are easy to come by, haven't had any issues finding some. As for prices, I would say they are average :rolleyes:

ChrisRH

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
am considering the petrol mainly as I felt it would be nippier than the diesel. Is that the case?
Lovely looking motor zerokool

ZerokoolRCZ

Reaction score
Thanks,
I wanted petrol as sounds better, still get e-mpg on a run and can get in to ulez zone when visiting family without paying, I think if the engine is looked after with good regular oil changes this helps,
As usual try and find one with service history

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
The petrol engine are all 1.6 and three models.
156bhp, 200bhp and the RCZ R 270bhp...and as for the diesel is 2ltr with -165 bhp. Hope this helps you out

ChrisRH

Reaction score
Thanks all. Just been speaking to a car dealer who we bought my daughters Corsa from last year (he's pretty honest) he said the petrol engines are a bit dogged with problems and timing chain needs changing every 60k and cost of this is around £1,000.00 at independent garage. Does that sound about right? Meant to ask him whats the difference with timing chain on diesel version as he said its a better engine.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that's about right with the petrol thp engine. As for the diesel Hdi it's a very robust engine has timing be it that needs replacing at 100k or ten years.. I have a Hdi and so does the wife don't do a massive amount of miles but never miss a beat.. Had a full service and timing belt done at a very good independent garage and total cost was £560 biggest service etc these cars need so if you decide to go for a Hdi see if the belt has been done as services are not to heavy on the pocket..

ChrisRH

Reaction score
Thank you that’s put my mind at rest. I emailed my local Peugeot dealer and they said timing belt change was £1,137 including vat so know that must be a good £500 above independent garage.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you that’s put my mind at rest. I emailed my local Peugeot dealer and they said timing belt change was £1,137 including vat so know that must be a good £500 above independent garage.
The petrols don’t need a chain every 60K that’s complete rubbish! If you keep up with religious maintenance there’s no reason why a THP timing chain won’t last above 100K, one of the issues were the chain tensioner I think Peugeot are on to their forth revision, frequent good quality oil changes is the key.
As for replacement prices £600 is around the average from someone that knows what they’re doing and easily done in the day.

lfe

Reaction score
The main culprit for timing chain problems is the tensioner.

It has a small spring that loses strength over time.

If you replace the tensioner as soon as it starts to make some noise when cold, then the chain can last a long time.

ChrisRH

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice so far everyone. Think I have decided to look at the Diesel

Seen one on Autotrader for £4k

Its a 2014 Diesel with 137,000 miles on it however it has 1 owner and full service history. Had a look through the MOTs and nothing stands out on current or past advisories

Whats your guys opinions on this?
Would you steer clear simply because of the high mileage or would you be more interested in the fact its got one owner and full service history with no signs of issues on MOT's?

Really appreciate all the answers, it's one thing deciding to buy one its another trying to buy a decent one