What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Here we go again.

Jumper

Reaction score
It’s not really a sweeping statement, more of a factual one.

The MK1 tensioners were eventually known to have a design fault resulting in them needing to be replaced prematurely. The early replacements were of the same part, causing them to fail more than once.
Eventually, a modified part was produced, and when this was fitted it resulted in far less failures.
The MKII was produced after this modified part was developed, so all the MKII’s were fitted with this part as standard resulting in far less failures in the MKII than in the MK1.
Indeed I've heard that story about the tensioner/guides. Wonder why they keep failing then in mk2s and R's as well. No official factual data or figures I guess just forum and Facebook comments.

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Reading this give me the jitters a bit, as a (unmechanical) prospective purchaser. I gather it's also been a problem in the Mini 1.6 petrol*. I've looked at a couple of petrol RCZs, which are considerably cheaper (perhaps for this reason) but as someone who wants a car to use regularly (albeit almost certainly quite a bit less than the 12k/year I was doing before the pandemic, for various reasons), would I be better off paying a bit more for a secondhand diesel, all other things being equal?
I realise that all other things are never equal, of course.... The diesel I like most has 82k and may have a patchier service record...)

EDIT - There is a list of cars the 1.6 petrol turbo was fitted to, including the THP 156 RCZs and some Minis, here: Prince engine - Wikipedia

Last edited:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Indeed I've heard that story about the tensioner/guides. Wonder why they keep failing then in mk2s and R's as well. No official factual data or figures I guess just forum and Facebook comments.
The part numbers changed from the ones first installed (& replaced) in the MK1’s to the ones installed in the MKII & subsequent later replacements in the MK1’s.
The reason for continuing failing guides is poor maintenance. So many people check their oil when they remember or top up when they get a low oil warning light.
The Prince engine is susceptible to even slightly low oil levels. Especially this part as it is near the top of the engine & further from the oil pump.
Also, warming the car before spirited driving gives the oil chance to circulate and lubricate properly. So many owners just get in & thrash it. You can only get away with that for so long. Allowing the engine to cool by driving more cautiously for the last 5 minutes of any drive is also recommended, before switching off.
Anyone who checks their oil on a weekly basis will know that this engine also tends to use oil, and therefore regular top ups are not just recommended, they are necessary.
Tbh, it’s like anything, if you maintain it properly, it will reward you with reliability, if you don’t, it will bite you in the backside.

Last edited:

Jumper

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly about the maintenance and oil. We may all have stood a better chance of reliability if they had started off with the stronger R engine which was an improvement for the Prince engine.

Jumper

Reaction score
Reading this give me the jitters a bit, as a (unmechanical) prospective purchaser. I gather it's also been a problem in the Mini 1.6 petrol*. I've looked at a couple of petrol RCZs, which are considerably cheaper (perhaps for this reason) but as someone who wants a car to use regularly (albeit almost certainly quite a bit less than the 12k/year I was doing before the pandemic, for various reasons), would I be better off paying a bit more for a secondhand diesel, all other things being equal?
I realise that all other things are never equal, of course.... The diesel I like most has 82k and may have a patchier service record...)

EDIT - There is a list of cars the 1.6 petrol turbo was fitted to, including the THP 156 RCZs and some Minis, here: Prince engine - Wikipedia
Get the derv mate. Much more reliable if your not good with the spanners. The petrols need looking after. like a baby with regular and at least annual oil changes or six monthly if your doing 12k a year.I have a petrol and do all my own servicing and repairs where tools and equipment allow. That's just me I like doing it more of a hobby. Plus I just can't handle the Tractor engine noise of a diesel engine but thats my choice many dont mind it obviously.

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Get the derv mate. Much more reliable if your not good with the spanners. The petrols need looking after. like a baby with regular and at least annual oil changes or six monthly if your doing 12k a year.I have a petrol and do all my own servicing and repairs where tools and equipment allow. That's just me I like doing it more of a hobby. Plus I just can't handle the Tractor engine noise of a diesel engine but thats my choice many dont mind it obviously.
Yes - that was my initial conclusion, last autumn. Not many about in good nick, though, in East Anglia. Plus the tractor noise round 'ere is drowned out by the real tractors!
I only wavered over a petrol when a 10 year old one came up at a reasonable (ish) price from a main dealer (not Peugeot), with 12m warranty. Needed a new headlight (had one very new looking one and one rather clouded one...) and tyres (4x Grenlander fitted, which didn't look like they'd got the 3mm minimum the dealer claimed they always offered left in them, tbh), which made price and risk look less reasonable.

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Its common on the 200 for the water pump pulley and tensioner to rattle which sounds alot like a timing chain rattle, people miss this, not common for the chain to rattle

Pedro

Reaction score
Its common on the 200 for the water pump pulley and tensioner to rattle which sounds alot like a timing chain rattle, people miss this, not common for the chain to rattle
Yea my punp started to sing its head off I though t it was the chain/tensioner then listened amore intently & it sounded a bit too tinny to be a chain rattle