What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Help

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I thought I would get your opinion on a problem I had at Palmers dealership. As you have seen from my other posts I have bought a 2010 156 auto gt. They were supposed to put our the car through its checks before selling but they admitted they didn't have enough time to check the car over until the service. They have it before I collected the car. The car has done 40K miles owned by two lady drivers and is in mint condition. Not a scratch on the alloys. It's showroom condition.

They called me to say they didn't want to sell the car to me anymore because they found very expensive problems that they couldn't afford to fix, so they would sell it to the trade. They point blank refused to sell me the car. Til I lost it with them. They said if I was prepared to meet them half way for the repair costs, they will still sell me the car. I have to pay them £700. They have to replace the timing chain, seals & pump. Supposedly there was a leak in the sump

It is a mint condition car with 40k on the clock. They said I would be crazy to repair i,t but these are problems anyone would face on a main service. The car is so perfect I couldn't let it go as they aren't many autos with low mileage and such good condition and at only £193 a month on a 5YR payback and £700 towards repairs. 2 questions I have for everyone:

First
Should I now be worried about the quality of the car is it going to now start letting me down or how that they have fixed the main parts it should be as good as new?

Secondly
Is £700 fair for that amount to of work he said in total the world cost £1600?

They have put the fear in me about the car but when I look and drive it there are no issues at all or could they have been lying about the work needed doing to get more money out of me? How do I check if they actually did the work? Please help me people to put my confidence back in wanting to own this car.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Most dealerships will try to sell almost anything. They know they can probably do bodge up repairs to any problems that may occur that they might be liable for, and any others you would have to pay for anyway.

If they really didn't want to sell you this car, there are probably issues that would make me sit up & think it might not be the right car for you.

It is just possible that once the mentioned repairs have been carried out, it will be a very good car, but it is also possible that it might not.

It's kind of impossible to say whether the quoted price is fair or not, not really knowing what is involved to make the car roadworthy again.

I would probably look elsewhere. There is a good chance you will find a better car, and the longer you look, the cheaper those cars will become.

If you really think you won't be able to find the right car elsewhere, and you are confident that this dealer can rectify correctly all the problems this car has, AND YOU CAN GET A WARRANTY WITH THE CAR COVERING ALL THE REPAIRED PARTS (and labour) then perhaps it might be worth a chance.

Negotiation in these circumstances is usually possible.

Personally, I would keep looking.

tianorth

Reaction score
Ask them for a full breakdown including costs for each item, and also the full faults downloaded from all the ECUs.

RCZash

Reaction score
Hi, my advice is to walk away and look elsewhere. You have not said which Palmers. I looked at an RCZ at the Hemel branch a few years back. Not impressed with the way they operate. :thumbdown:

2retro

Reaction score
Listen to your head, not your heart and walk away - you'll thank yourself later! :thumbup:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I can understand that you don't want to let such a beautiful car go but there are plenty of secondhand RCZ's out there most have been cherished and are in super condition. But if you can't let it go why not get the dealer to sell you it at a trade price without warranty? Then take it to another dealer for any repairs.
Without knowing exactly what's wrong with it it's hard to say what the actual cost would be to repair but to give you some idea my Peugeot dealer charged me £550 to replace timing chain/ tensioner and guides inc vat.

Sounds a very strange carry on and definitely a dealer to stay well clear of!

Good luck :roll:

A

Anonymous

If the only problem is the timing chain seal then i would not worry but there may be other issues they have not admitted such as the cylinder head needing a de-coke , another common problem which may not be covered by any warranty they supply you but which they may have to pay for later. They sound like they are being honest , i.e not economically viable to sell to you, but try to see their technician's report on the car before making any decision.

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand that this is an emotive subject for you but please just stick to one topic rather than creating three in three different areas. I've deleted the other two, merged the posts from those to here and I've made your initial post a bit easier to read.

On your actual query. The mistake you're making is that you think this is a good car that needs a wee bit of TLC. It's not. It's a dog. So much so that even the dealer doesn't want to sell it to you. By agreeing to their terms you're now (to an extent) absolving them of any responsibility for future problems you have with it ("well, we did try to tell you...", "you did insist that we sell you the car, even though we didn't want to" etc).

You would be crazy to buy this car. It's all shiney and new right now but after a year of ownership and it's no longer a "new toy" you may be cursing yourself if there are other problems.

I speak from experience after owning an Audi A5 a few years ago that ended up a total lemon and the worst car I've ever bought. I got shot of it after a year of expense and problems.

Kgouloumis09

Reaction score
You could also try getting an independent inspection done on the car as well as seing the reports/fault code s etc,4 months after owning my car I needed £2500 worth of repairs done to the car but that's what can happen sometimes when you buy a used car,apart from that hiccup she's been great. If you can get a warranty with it then it should be ok once inspected,but I definitely wouldn't buy with out a thorough independent check and warranty.
I would also check if the extra spent on it still makes the car a good deal.
Maybe they know they are gonna loose on profit on this and are trying to put you off.

No warranty,No sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk