What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Help with fuse box buzz and link to lights!

Kash2001

Reaction score
Hi all, since having our RCZ which we love it's had a few issues that are causing some grief!

So we've had issues with interior leds still not resolved on a separate thread. However, we now have a buzz noise in the fuse box, near with big 3 fuses at the back of the box!

Only stops when the live terminal is removed from the battery but restarts on connection again.

It all started with the interior courtesy led going out and battery drain over night as the side lights coming on all night.

So I bought new leds some from crazyleds but the sidelights are still one when the car is switched off, although only the parking passenger light now.

I only mention this as I think the two are related. The buzz will eventually drain the battery coming from the fuse box.

It's a lovely car but the electrical issue is driving us crazy.

Any thoughts as to why the fuse box is buzzing when the car is off and locked.

I did, I think a electrics reset BCU 🤔 disconnecting the battery and to a system reset, but it may have made things worse, if I've done it wrong.

Any support welcome, I'll do another electrics reset just in case, but the buzz is loud and can be heard in the cabin with the hood down!

Many thanks

lfe

Reaction score
I also had a buzz caused by a shorted LED bulb. It was one of the ones under the doors. In my case the buzz was heard at the door.

As I already said in another therad, avoid those LED lamps. Remove them all and replace the original incandescent ones, which can continue to be bought without problems.

Kash2001

Reaction score
Thank you for your advise, I did remove the 3 offending lights and the fuse box buzz remained.

I got the interior lights from ledcrazy who do the rear brake light and that worked perfectly, so they do seem to known their stuff. I've had a look online as I don't think I have a Peugeot dealer near me to pick up some leds. So I'm having to look online at the moment.

Do Peugeot have an online store 🤔 I'll Google it.

Many thanks

Kash2001

Reaction score
OK so disconnecting the middle of the big fuses stops the buzz is this faulty? The car starts fine but the parking light stays on when key is removed and buzz continues. Any help appreciated as its driving the wife mad 😱

Attachments

• IMG_20230126_152707.jpg
    IMG_20230126_152707.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7

Kash2001

Reaction score
Ohhh OK I'll see if I can source originals but it does not appear the Peugeot have a direct parts online store.

But hopefully I'll find some, although is this related to the buzzing fuse being the middle one of the 3 at the back in the pic 🙄

Many thanks

Pedro

Reaction score
Buzzing is sometimes caused by high resistance which could mean faulty wiring - water ingress- relay contacts-or even the actual fuse box itself is faulty which has been known to happen & also mean a shorting out in the control systems other causes are possibly bad earth/grounding faults?
This is why no one should ever wash any modern vehicles engine bay!

Kash2001

Reaction score
Thank you Pedro but ohhh that sounds a real issue. I know which large fuse box that's buzzing so I guess that helps narrow it down a bit, not sure what the middle box is in control off, as it's not shown in the fuse diagram.

Thank you Ife very much appreciated and I've ordered these in the hope that they work, but I think the buzzing may have been because of the BCU reset I did in the post on this. 🤔

It did say in the instructions that if not followed correctly it could cause electrical issues. So I'll try again tomorrow to reset it, but I'm pretty sure I got it 1st time, but nothing is for sure.

I've not got any bulbs in the courtesy lights now so I assumed it wouldn't still be causing an issue, but apparently not.

If the bulbs and reset don't fix it I'll have to take it too a car electrician.

All thoughts on a fix always welcome and hopefully the reset might sort it, but I'm a little unconvinced...

Atb

Kash2001

Reaction score
OK bulbs installed but no fix unfortunately, the system seemed to work until I drive it. Once driven the passenger side light goes on and the buzzing from the middle rocker fuse at the back!

Is it the fuse or is this the ecu as there's 3 large rocker fuses at the back of the fuse box.

And its this 3rd rocker fuse that controls the interior and exterior lights. This is the one buzzing, when disconnected the lights go out, but once reconnected the buzz starts again.

If not the fuse could it be the light fitting itself and are they easy to replace.

Any help appreciate as we're having to use the rocker constantly to stop the battery draining.

Many thanks

Kash2001

Reaction score
What are the 3 big junction connections s at the back of fuse box, that uses a rocker locking mechanism. Are they ecu's for various items like the lights etc. And is the buzzing normal as I hadn't noticed before trying to sort out the blow center console headlight.

When I bought the car with the wife there was no middle courtesy light installed only the map lights. But on of them failed hence my trying to replace all of them on in one go. Now the rocker connection buzzes 🤦‍♂️

Taken much more time than it should have, but very appreciative of the advise and help on here, thank you. 👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the 3 big junction connections s at the back of fuse box, that uses a rocker locking mechanism. Are they ecu's for various items like the lights etc. And is the buzzing normal as I hadn't noticed before trying to sort out the blow center console headlight.

When I bought the car with the wife there was no middle courtesy light installed only the map lights. But on of them failed hence my trying to replace all of them on in one go. Now the rocker connection buzzes 🤦‍♂️

Taken much more time than it should have, but very appreciative of the advice and help on here, thank you. 👍
If there were no middle courtesy light when you originally bought the car it looks like this may be your problem try disconnecting the courtesy light unit and see if the buzzing stops if it does try a secondhand light unit

lfe

Reaction score
I had the buzz due to a short-circuited light bulb, the one on the right door illuminating the floor and it is powered by the same dimmer as the courtesy light.

There are 5 bulbs in parallel powered by the same dimmer, the courtesy one, two in the lower part of the doors and two in the driver's and passenger's feet.

Verify that you do not have any of them in short circuit, or disassemble all 5 to see if the buzzing disappears

Kash2001

Reaction score
OK thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts. The car came with the standard 3 lights in situ, but no middle bulb was in the slot only the two map lights.

I have just bought a 2nd hand courtesy housing off the bay, I've not taken one out of situ before but hopefully its not too difficult. 🤞

Other than that I assume I'd have to take the 3 bulbs out the roof lights and the 2 floor lights to see if something is tripping the buzzing plug (what is it called the housing?)

The plug does buzz very loud, and if it's that at fault I don't know what to search for when looking for a replacement.

Hopefully the housing will be with me Tue/Wed and if I can get the old one out and new one in, it'll at least tell me if that was the fault.

Next I'll try the 5 lights and see if that stops the buzzing and failing that it's only the connector I assume left to replace.

Thanks all for the help, I'll report back once the new unit is installed and welcome and further help if possible.

Atb