What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

HELP URGENT

A

Anonymous

Had my 2013 RCZ 200 for 2 weeks today and whilst sat at lights this evening the engine warning light came on and engine fault notice appeared on the nav screen.

I turned the car off and restarted to see if it was an error but the light is still on but was able to drive home fine with no limp mode. I'm supposed to be on the eurotunnel in a few hrs then driving to paris with the family.

Do I

A- chance it and get it looked it in a couple of weeks.

B- drive to dealer I bought it from and get it looked at (60 miles away).

C- take it to local dealer which is closer but may dispute any warranty issues and won't be as sympathetic.

Would disconnecting the battery clear the error if it was just a simple reset needed?

A

Anonymous

Carry on with your plans. Allow it to develop, and just see if it's anything or nothing

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Carry on with your plans. Allow it to develop, and just see if it's anything or nothing

Thanks but I wasn't planning to be back in uk till end of summer. If something major happens the dealer may just say tough shit. Read a other threads on warning light issues on the 200 and they mentioned the cylinder head. Last thing I need is that going whilst tanking down the motorway with the kids in the back.

Decided to go to the dealer I bought it from (won't name yet) and wait outside the gates till they open. If it's a big issue they can then explain the kids whilst they are not going to disney. Hope the dealer can run fast. They might cause serious injury.

renegade79

Reaction score
I wouldn't chance it myself. I think its a good idea to get it checked out first thing in the morning. Peace of mind and all that. I'm taking my Hdi to France next month for 2 weeks and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my holiday wondering if the car would break down at any moment. the dealer might even give you a courtesy car .......

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm in agreement with renegade. It isn't something that I'd wish to risk and it would be far easier to get it checked and rectified (if necessary here). Last thing you want is to go away for a break and have that playing on your mind or, worse still, have something go wrong while you're away.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Yeah, I'm in agreement with renegade. It isn't something that I'd wish to risk and it would be far easier to get it checked and rectified (if necessary here). Last thing you want is to go away for a break and have that playing on your mind or, worse still, have something go wrong while you're away.
I didn't realise that when the original poster said that he was due on the Eurotunnel in a few hours, that he meant quite a few hours and enough to get the problem looked at beforehand. My thinking was that if your due to travel in a few hours and that you have already parted with all your money for the fares etc. that as the car is under warranty that should the fault develop that repairs would be carried out, without missing the trip. As it didn't go into limp mode then it was worth the risk

A

Anonymous

Here's an update. I didn't have time to get it looked at before my train so ended up missing it and sat outside dealers all night as on the way down. Sod's law I got to the dealers and they started it and it was fine. They did a diagnostic and it said there had been a slight blip on injector 3 but all seemed ok now although they they did take it for a drive to make sure all ok. Anyway I was relieved and although it cost me £83 for a new train ticket I was relieved it was nothing serious.

Headed down to Folkestone and all good. Drive for three hrs towards Paris and all ok then just about five mins from the hotel the engine goes into limp and warning lights on. I stop and restart the car and although the light was on it was out of lump only for it to go into limp again a few mins later. Got to the hotel and switched off the car and although the engine temp seemed normal the fa was going like the clappers. I checked into hotel with two fed up kids and one fed up wife (still not happy I bought an impractical car) then went down to see if fan had stopped. I put the ignition on and the temp was low but as soon as I started it the fan started going nuts again for a good 7 mins at full pelt.

So what do I do. I have another big drive to the Pyrenees due tomorrow afternoon then onto Barcelona the next day then marbella the next. Any idea what I should do. Carry on or find local dealer?

frankvdb

Reaction score
Sounds like a faulty temperature sensor which unfortunately is a common problem with the THP engine.
There are topics on this in the Drivetrain forum.

A

Anonymous

frankvdb said:
Sounds like a faulty temperature sensor which unfortunately is a common problem with the THP engine.
There are topics on this in the Drivetrain forum.

Cheers Frank, I did mention this to the dealer this morning and the mechanic but was either fobbing me off or not bothered. Looking like I will be making a call to them in the morning. Just wondering if I have to stay in Paris extra days if I can bill them?

A

Anonymous

Yep. Sounds like you have the common problem with the temperature sensor. Now it has developed they can no longer fob you off. Get onto the French dealers and get a courtesy car. Please the wife and kids and get a "practical" one. Best of luck

A

Anonymous

So, we limped into a hotel nr paris airport and this morning I found a Peugeot dealer just 3-4km away, perfect. Went to the dealer in a little village and luckily one of the staff spoke some English and did the translating.

Mechanic came out and started the car and immediately knew the car didn't sound right and so could I. To in limp mode either.

Popped the bonnet and started flicking open the catches one at a time on top of the spark plugs. Cylinder 3 was not firing so he swapped the "bobbins" between cylinders three and four and the problem shifted to piston 4 which it knew,was good news as it must have been the bobbin rather than a cylinder problem. No need to plug into computer. Just good old mechanic and common sense.

New part ordered and hopefully back our way some time this afternoon. Oh and being a little dealer they gave me one of there own cars (no courtesy cars) and £10 for extra fuel. Got to say I never liked the French but this was a brilliant experience so far.

I've called the dealer I bought the car from 2 weeks ago and took it to yesterday and got no help at all despite the fact I told them they have cost me close to £1000 with missing the eurotunnel, hotels at euro disney and tickets and having to pay for extra hotels. Not even a fucking apology. Next thing is an email to peugeot uk and the dealer principal.

If anything else happens in next few days I'm sending the car back for a refund.

A

Anonymous

To be honest I would doubt that Peugeot will foot the bill for any of the expenses you have incurred.

My Current RCZ was sold with a tyre had a massive -MOT failing - chunk out of it yet it passed their inspection. It blew out and cost me a fair whack on recovery / new tyre / paint fixing.

After pretty good communication to the head office they got the dealer to contact me about a refund..

Both the Dealer and Peugeot UK then simply stopped replying to me / answering my calls. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Here's an update for you.

Got the car back for the little French dealer north of paris actually 3 hrs earlier than they said it would be ready. The service was amazing and nothing like the dealer in the UK. The mechanics at the French dealer came and introduced themselves to each each customer so they knew exactly who was working on their car and the reception staff were just fantastic. Even lending me the receptionists old 205 to get back to hotel instead of a taxi.

Anyway, after a quick drive round the chansaleisa and a look round some old tower we headed off to surprise a friend in Barcelona. The car drove great with no probs but after 10 hrs I have to admit I was aching and not as comfortable as my old insignia VX line.

So we arrived at the hotel in barca around 1pm only to find the hotel flooded and we were moved to another hotel. I deliberately booked the hotel on the fact it had its own car park. Anyway. Arrived at 2nd hotel and checked in, parked the car in the garage but was told to block people in and they would move the car for me later. Went to check out next morning in time for drive to Marbella and found the car had indeed been moved. We loaded up the car and left and headed off. A couple of hrs later we stopped for gas and straight away I noticed a dent and scrape on the rear arch. To late to go back to hotel so I called them to say WTF. As you can imagine I'm not happy and probably stand no chance of the hotel coughing up for the damage. Will keep you posted.

A

Anonymous

PaulE said:
I noticed a dent and scrape on the rear arch. To late to go back to hotel so I called them to say WTF. As you can imagine I'm not happy and probably stand no chance of the hotel coughing up for the damage. Will keep you posted.

I can imagine that this will be down to you. I can't imagine that they will admit liability. If they were going to do that, then they would have approached you, to let you know of their mishap. Sorry to hear of this it's not nice to have your pride and joy damaged, even more so by someone else :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Paul is your surname GRISWOLD ?

I hope it gets better from here in - Good Luck.

A

Anonymous

Seems to always be problems with the THP engines. Having owned one in my 308 GT I also experienced issues with Faulty temp sensor / Timing Chain Issues / Cylinder Head Warped & Knock Sensor. I did not expect any of this as I thought BMW's influence would have made them better not worse.

I have now had a Diesel RCZ for a year, with no issues. Maybe the french arn't all bad.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear you're having such horrific luck. Fingers crossed something awesome happens to you and your family to balance it out- may be worth buying a euro lottery ticket!