What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Help needed with car cleaning

A

Anonymous

Hi Folks,

I've had my Amber Red RCZ for a month now and have been taking it to a manual car wash to be cleaned. I've read some posts that says this cleaning method is a big no no due to marks and an automatic car wash is even worse etc.

Can anyone recommend a better way of cleaning that doesn't take up much of my time. Also I'm looking for wax recommendations and how often I should do it.

:helpme:

Many Thanks in Advance!

A

Anonymous

Over to you RCZ1. I'm keeping out of this one. :helpme: :clap:

A

Anonymous

LisaT said:
Can anyone recommend a better way of cleaning that doesn't take up much of my time.

Easy One :thumbup:

Automatic Car Wash - you're through in less than 5 minutes tops, don't have to get out of the car, can eat sweets, listen to the radio, etc while at the same time letch at the Hot Girl who is topping up her car :D

The modern ones put foam on, then wax on and finally blow-dry it for you. LUSH :clap: :dance:

Alternatively, ask someone who likes cleaning to clean your car by hand for you.

Hope this helps ;)

A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:
LisaT said:
Can anyone recommend a better way of cleaning that doesn't take up much of my time.

Easy One :thumbup:

Automatic Car Wash - you're through in less than 5 minutes tops, don't have to get out of the car, can eat sweets, listen to the radio, etc while at the same time letch at the Hot Girl who is topping up her car :D

The modern ones put foam on, then wax on and finally blow-dry it for you. LUSH :clap: :dance:

Alternatively, ask someone who likes cleaning to clean your car by hand for you.

Hope this helps ;)

haha! my thoughts exactly Gorwell! This site puts the fear of god into me when I read about car care! I much prefer your way!

RCZ1

Reaction score
[clears throat] ;) DON'T, whatever you do, take it through an automatic car wash. It's the worst thing you could do to your beloved RCZ. If you really must, take it to a hand car wash place, where they might do a half decent job, with less scratches than an automatic car wash :eusa-think:

If, however, you want to take good care of your RCZ, then I would suggest, doing it yourself.
You don't have to go to the lengths I go to, but you can still look after your car well.

For basics, I would suggest:
a power washer
Wash mitt (sheepskin)
2 buckets (1 for rinsing your wash mitt, the other with shampoo and water for washing)
Good quality microfibre drying cloths ( a good one will dry the whole car, no problem) and microfibre cloths for buffing, etc. you will need a few microfibre cloths.

Product wise, I would suggest you use a sealant, rather than a wax, as a sealant will make the metallic flake in your paint really pop. It will also last longer than a wax, so less time spent having to re-apply. To apply to the whole car will take 15 minutes to apply and buff off. It's so easy to use and would be perfect for you. 3 layers will last 6 months and you can apply another layer, maybe once a month after you have washed it, very easily to gain even longer durability. The sealant I would suggest for you is the Werkstat Acrylic kit. You can buy this from Polished Bliss
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... erZWSAK000

The kit contains a paint cleanser (Prime). Used to clean the paintwork down after washing and drying, but before applying the sealant. Then apply a couple of layers of Jett Trigger (the sealant) leaving half an hour between applications for it to cure. Spray on, spread then buff. Then maybe once a month use the Quick Detailer (Glos) for extra bling. Just spray on and wipe off, like Jett Trigger.

With this, you can apply it and then forget about it, just top it up when you think it needs it. Don't forget about your wheels either, wash them before you wash the car and definitely consider buying a brush to clean the backs of the alloys and don't forget the tyre dressing. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Product wise, I would suggest you use a sealant, rather than a wax, as a sealant will make the metallic flake in your paint really pop. It will also last longer than a wax, so less time spent having to re-apply. To apply to the whole car will take 15 minutes to apply and buff off. It's so easy to use and would be perfect for you. 3 layers will last 6 months and you can apply another layer, maybe once a month after you have washed it, very easily to gain even longer durability. The sealant I would suggest for you is the Werkstat Acrylic kit. You can buy this from Polished Bliss

The kit contains a paint cleanser (Prime). Used to clean the paintwork down after washing and drying, but before applying the sealant. Then apply a couple of layers of Jett Trigger (the sealant) leaving half an hour between applications for it to cure. Spray on, spread then buff. Then maybe once a month use the Quick Detailer (Glos) for extra bling. Just spray on and wipe off, like Jett Trigger.

With this, you can apply it and then forget about it, just top it up when you think it needs it.

I have the power washer, buckets & cloths etc, have washed the car several times now. What I am not sure about is polishing and using wax/sealant. The acrylic kit you mention is the one I was going to get. What I am not sure about is, do I need to polish the car before I use the acrylic kit? If I do need to polish first do I still use the paint cleanser (before or after polish)?
This is all new to me I used to wash my previous cars with one bucket and sponge, then throw the dirty water was left in the bucket over the car when i was finished :lol:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Weeman, we all learn by our mistakes :lol:

If you get the Werkstat Acrylic kit, you don't need to polish first. Prime (the paint cleanser) is also a polish and a very good one at that. When you think you have got the car very clean and then you apply Prime, you will see how much more dirt it will remove. I also use it on the brightwork inside the car on the door handles and surrounds of the dials, etc. Makes things shine :thumbup:

Good luck and let us know how you get on :D

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
[clears throat] ;) DON'T, whatever you do, take it through an automatic car wash. It's the worst thing you could do to your beloved RCZ. If you really must, take it to a hand car wash place, where they might do a half decent job, with less scratches than an automatic car wash :eusa-think:

If, however, you want to take good care of your RCZ, then I would suggest, doing it yourself.
You don't have to go to the lengths I go to, but you can still look after your car well.

For basics, I would suggest:
a power washer
Wash mitt (sheepskin)
2 buckets (1 for rinsing your wash mitt, the other with shampoo and water for washing)
Good quality microfibre drying cloths ( a good one will dry the whole car, no problem) and microfibre cloths for buffing, etc. you will need a few microfibre cloths.

With this, you can apply it and then forget about it, just top it up when you think it needs it. Don't forget about your wheels either, wash them before you wash the car and definitely consider buying a brush to clean the backs of the alloys and don't forget the tyre dressing. :thumbup:

Many thanks for your reply RCZ1! Just one thing...tyre dressing?

RCZ1

Reaction score
Tyre dressing = used to blacken the side wall of your tyres, to make them look clean and like new.

Plenty on the market. Maybe a trip to Halfords is on the cards ?

RCZ1

Reaction score
Mol, personally I would go with the Werkstat Acrylic kit as the acrylic kit is for metallic/perlescent paint whereas the Carnauba is for solid colours ( non metallic). It wouldn't do any harm to use the Carnauba kit,it will give a warmer look compared to a glossier, glass like look from the acrylic kit. The Acrylic kit will bring out the flake in your paint. :D

A

Anonymous

Just used my Werkstat Acrylic kit. I am well pleased with the result. :dance:

A

Anonymous

You really are a wee man lol smaller than the height of the rear light.

Peugeot RCZ 2.0 GT Hdi Dolphin Blue
Sports steering wheel
Personalised plate
Painted calipers
Carbon wing mirrors
Carbon roof wrap

A

Anonymous

weeman750 said:
Just used my Werkstat Acrylic kit. I am well pleased with the result. :dance:
Wow !!!! I'm very impressed. What a result you have achieved :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
It looks fabulous weeman. If not the best that I have seen in Amber Red. Told you that the Werkstat acrylic kit would be great on it. :).

How many layers of the Jett have you put on? Have you used the Glos on it yet or are you going to use that each time you wash?