What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

HELP: Buying used RCZ 1.6 THP 200HP, 2012 year model

Gregorg

Reaction score
Hello,

im new to this forum. I want to buy used Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200HP (2012 production year). It has 80 000 Km, and second owner. Ive checked VIN number in Carfax and AutoDNA, it did not show collision damages. The car was also not imported. It was bought in my country (Slovenia) by the first owner, and then by second owner also in Slovenia.

The current owner has papers from official periodical services Peugeot in Slovenia (years 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016).

He told me that he had problem with chain, and that it has been replaced. Second problem that he had vas the pump, and it also been replaced. He also bought new brake pads. He claims that he have all the papers. He also mentioned that there was a problem with coolant temperature sensor.

Does anybody have any advice about this car, or the engine in general. What should i expect (is it a good engine that will last long or not, etc.). The engine code is EP6CDTX. The gearbox is 6 speed manual.

The owner now has the newer RCZ with 270HP.

Im a little sceptical about the kilometers on the car.

Does anybody have any advice what to look for or check for before buying? Im going to test drive this car tomorrow.
Does this engine or car has any known major problems in general?

Help me please :)

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
High pressure fuel pump. Chain rattle and carbon build up, they should all be obvious.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, sounds like most of the common issues with the thp engine have been sorted by the previous owners. I would recommend a good lengthy test drive and don’t be shy to give it a good blast through the gears any problems should throw up as alerts on the dash. The car should accelerate through all the gears smoothly without any hesitation. The RCZ is a real drivers car and you’ll definitely fall in love! Why are you suspicious of the mileage? 80k for a 2012 car sounds about right. If looked after the thp engine should serve you well and if the owner has gone for another RCZ then what more proof do you need?
Condition is everything a well looked after car should be in great condition inside and out.
Good luck let us know how you get on :thumbup:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Have a look underneath the sills, the RCZ has a nasty habit of bending near the jack points. This can be quite costly to get put right, so if there are any issues you can get the seller to sort it before parting with your hard earned cash.

As said above, don’t be afraid to give the thing some welly on the test drive, that should throw up any warnings you need to know about, if it doesn’t, then all is good. (If they didn’t want you to use the Rev limiter, they wouldn’t have put it there in the first place).

Plecodoras

Reaction score
As mentioned - good test drive and yes the common faults have been rectified by previous owner/s.
80,000km in uk is just shy of 50,000 smiles and five years old = 10,000 miles / year which is just a little under average miles. should have plenty of life in it yet, if it has been looked after which it seems it might have by the repairs it's had.
I know the RCZ is a rare car in Slovenia, even in Austria where it was made it's rare, but is there no lower mileage ones around?
Make sure paperwork adds up and VIN numbers etc. Check clutch, start in second and give plenty of revs, if it slips then clutch needs replacing or adjusting, check limits if its adjustment. Make sure all electrics work and no warning lights on dash. Check wear on tyres, if trackings out - could be a sign of mistreatment ( riding up kurbs etc ).
Don't let the above put you off this car - most of the above advice is the same for any car.
Have a decent test drive and then decide - good luck and let us know if you buy it!

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgot about weak jacking points, I've welted mine back with a lump hammer and a length of wood.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
RCZIain said:
Forgot about weak jacking points, I've welted mine back with a lump hammer and a length of wood.

Sounds technical do you need any special training or qualifications to attempt this? :lol: :lol:

Gregorg

Reaction score
I did test drive today. The car is in great shape. It has amazing sound when you accelerate and acceleration itself is very fast. It is Brownstone edition. Car is on original 19" black alloy wheels. Currently it has Continental tyres (for winter). There are minor signs of wear in the cabin. The gearshift "head" has signs of wear, and clutch. Then there are some minor things on the outside or inside like scratches, but nothing major, after all the car is 5 years old. The front and back parking sensors work, spoiler, radio,... I did not check everything, but the things i checked all worked like they should.

The current owner told me that se uses 5W-40 oil, because engine uses the less of oil than 5W30. He told me that on every 10 000 km the oil was completely replaced.

Shifting goes smoothly, the engine is not rattling when idle. Steering is very accurate and sharp (Compared to my Citroen C4). The brake discs are in great shape.

On Monday I will start with paper arrangement, financing ... Hopefully I will have it by the end of the next week.

Thanks for support. I will post pictures of the car soon. :thumbup:

Gregorg

Reaction score
tianorth said:
Brownstone was a Germany on edition.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

What does that mean? Bad thing?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Peugeot has announced the RCZ Brownstone. Available from April 2012 for European order, the special edition will be limited to 150 units.

The RCZ Brownstone features a unique Guaranja Brown exterior color, gloss black grille and brake calipers and special "Magny Cours" 19-inch alloy wheels while the interior receives exclusive Cohiba Leather and Alcantara material on the sport seats, dash panel and door trim panels.

Representing a value of €2500, other standard features include WIP Com 3D telematic system, Sport package (shorter shifter, leather sport steering wheel, Motorsound-Generator), comfort package (front parking sensors, automatic low beam switch and rain sensor) and xenon package (with dynamic cornering lights and headlamp cleaning system). A JBL sound system with 10-channel amplifier and 240 watts of power is optionally available for €500.

The Peugeot RCZ Brownstone is offered in Germany with the 1.6 liter THP petrol engine 156 PS (115 kW) for €32,650 - a savings of €2,500. Fuel consumption in is 6.4l/100 km combined and CO2 emissions are 149g/km.

It seems that this car may have been an “Grey import” which can affect insurance. You should check with the seller, and also check the V5c. There is nothing wrong with buying one, but it can affect the residual value (they are usually worth less than “officially imported” cars, and I believe you have to declare its status to insurers, as some will either impose extra premiums, or refuse to insure the car. If it does turn out to be a “grey import” and you don’t inform your insurance company, your insurance might be invalid.

Gregorg

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Peugeot has announced the RCZ Brownstone. Available from April 2012 for European order, the special edition will be limited to 150 units.

The RCZ Brownstone features a unique Guaranja Brown exterior color, gloss black grille and brake calipers and special "Magny Cours" 19-inch alloy wheels while the interior receives exclusive Cohiba Leather and Alcantara material on the sport seats, dash panel and door trim panels.

Representing a value of €2500, other standard features include WIP Com 3D telematic system, Sport package (shorter shifter, leather sport steering wheel, Motorsound-Generator), comfort package (front parking sensors, automatic low beam switch and rain sensor) and xenon package (with dynamic cornering lights and headlamp cleaning system). A JBL sound system with 10-channel amplifier and 240 watts of power is optionally available for €500.

The Peugeot RCZ Brownstone is offered in Germany with the 1.6 liter THP petrol engine 156 PS (115 kW) for €32,650 - a savings of €2,500. Fuel consumption in is 6.4l/100 km combined and CO2 emissions are 149g/km.

It seems that this car may have been an “Grey import” which can affect insurance. You should check with the seller, and also check the V5c. There is nothing wrong with buying one, but it can affect the residual value (they are usually worth less than “officially imported” cars, and I believe you have to declare its status to insurers, as some will either impose extra premiums, or refuse to insure the car. If it does turn out to be a “grey import” and you don’t inform your insurance company, your insurance might be invalid.

I've checked the Carfax history of vehicle based on VIN number. And it states that COC document was given on June 2012. There is no indication of car import based on Carfax or AutoDNA report. Wasn't the brownstone edition available to order anywhere in European union? (Slovenia is member of European Union since 2004, we adopted EURO currency since 2007).

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think DKZ realised you were in Slovenia I wouldn’t worry about the import of your new car just enjoy sounds like you may have one of the rarest RCZ model ever made!

Can’t wait to see some photos the car sounds awesome :thumbup:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Oops, my bad, I was looking at the wrong post & thought you were in the UK. Yes, it was available to order throughout Europe, and yes it is one of the rarest RCZ’s ever made, so a great find :clap:

Basically, other than reading what your new car has as standard, forget about my earlier post :oops:

tianorth

Reaction score
One of the members here on the forum and Facebook page has a rcz site, http://www.rczperformance.com/, he his not trading at the moment but is possible to help if you want anything.

The site has a lot of information about the RCZ's, what is possibly available for the RCZ's etc.

Very interesting site.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Gregorg

Reaction score
Finnaly home :) I will post more pictures soon.

Which oil do you use for THP 200? I am using Elf 5W-40. Is it better to use Total oil?

So far it seems that everything is ok with car.

Thanks again for support.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Now recommended Total ineo first 0-30. But 5-30 is ok.

Gregorg

Reaction score
Where I live we have up to 35 degrees celsius in summer and as cold as -15 in winter. Average summer day is around 25 degrees and average winter day is around 0.

Ive been told that THP 200 consumes less oil if it is 5W40 compared to 5W30. I dont know why.