What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Heaters query

A

Anonymous

I've noticed on a few occasions that when i turn on the blower inside the car it blows a very luke warm air, even if the setting is set at low.
The only way i can get "normal" air is to turn on the AC to cold, then off again and then the blower will give normal air and not luke warm.
This happens on cold days as well as warm.
Basicaly the "low" setting is a luke warm air unless i first use the AC, after using the AC for a short while then the "normal" blown air is ok, ie: not luke warm.
I know that the air intake for the blower is taken from outside, so on a warm day the air will be slightly warmer, but i'm getting air that is warmer than usual even on cold days, it is actualy luke warm. :eusa-think:
Any ideas ?

A

Anonymous

Mine is identical. It also super heats the centre console when I put warm air on my feet. Been told it is a characteristic, along with all the other characteristic faults it has been designed with.

A

Anonymous

"Characteristic faults it has been designed with" What are these characteristic faults? Personally I think this car has the best heating system of any that I have owned. It actually produces some heat before I have travelled my 26miles into work at some unearthly hour of the day. The only car ever to do so. If putting on the A/C is the best way to cool it down on a hot day so be it. I can live with a heater to heat and an air con system to cool.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
"Characteristic faults it has been designed with" What are these characteristic faults? Personally I think this car has the best heating system of any that I have owned. It actually produces some heat before I have travelled my 26miles into work at some unearthly hour of the day. The only car ever to do so. If putting on the A/C is the best way to cool it down on a hot day so be it. I can live with a heater to heat and an air con system to cool.

I agree with your points but what i cannot understand is, why is the air intake luke warm if it is coming from the outside & set on "low" ?

Air being drawn in from outside should really be of the same ambient temp, it shouldnt be warmer unless you increase the cabin temp to a desired level.

If i start the car from cold and put on the blower with it set to "low" the air starts to get warmer as the engine temp rises.
That cannot be a Characteristic of the car.

A

Anonymous

I have found I need the air con on when the outside temperature is above 16 degrees to allow cool air to be blown through the cabin. Normally I would agree that warm air on a cold day, and air conditioned air on a warm day makes perfect sense. It is the notion of putting the air con on when it is a mild day to remain cool. Air far as design characteristic go...my heated seat fails to work in the rain as water drips over the controls when the door is opened, the water that collects in the spoiler housing pours into the boot when the boot lid is opened and the engine taps (all are well known by Peugeot but they have no plans to rectify any).

I think I will get the garage to follow up the heating when it goes back in for the sticking 2nd gear problem and binding rear brakes...

A

Anonymous

I will raise the heating issue at the 1000 mile check up, because i just cannot accept that "this is the way they are" !
There is no way that air being blown in from outside on a cold morning should start off luke warm then get hotter as the engine temps raise.

I love the car but if i'm totaly honest there are indeed a couple of niggly things that i will want addressing at the check up, nothing major just niggly, i really dont want to find myself in a few months time starting to feel like the fizz has gone out of owning an RCZ just because of annoying little faults or issues that hopefully can be corrected.

I agree that the water that pools in the spoiler housing is a pain, however i put this down to a bad design rather than a fault, and if you look at any make of car you will find something that probably could of been designed a little better.

I havent found a problem with the gears, but i know others have mentioned it.

Our hand brake was a bit noisy when it was applied but this has now gone, i put that down to being new.

FGRob

Reaction score
Do you actual understand the workings of the car and heating system, you have a sensor inside the car that sets your temperature, but before the temperature can be controlled you need something to control - heat or a compressor (AC) , so until the engine is warm and the heater matrix is to a controllable temperature you will get unusal temperature situation, remember this is not like an electric heater it does not start working at the touch of a button. :crazy:

All the time I've driven my car I never changed the setting, 20C inside on automatic, when the front needed clearing I just switched on the front windscreen demist and the same for the rear, when the ambient goes above 20C I switch on the AC or open the window, I can't see the need to fanny about with the settings when the car can do that for you - that's why it's called climate control, let it do it's job. :eusa-whistle:

Yes the car has faults, but believe me they are minor compared to somethings. :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:

Rob

A

Anonymous

Thats what i was gonna say.. Climate control is inherently different to "heater blower" type systems

A

Anonymous

This is NOT the first car i've had with climate control, and i do understand that this sort of system is not like a basic "warm up and blow system" with a seperate A/C .

The issue i have is that the climate control part of the system should only come into force if the system is in "auto".
So if the blower is turned on and the system is NOT in auto then all that should be felt is air being taken from outside (or the internal air re-circulated if this is selected)

I just cannot see how i keep getting luke warm air which gets warmer as the engine temps rise, when the system is NOT in auto, just basic,simple blower, which is taking air from outside. The heat from the matrix shouldnt come into play until you select a higher temp or you have the setting on auto and a desired temp set .

Basicaly i'm having warm air all the time unless i turn on the A/C and the setting is on "low", as soon as A/C (on low) is turned off i get warm air and there are no settings showing .
Please if i'm doing something wrong tell me, cos it's driving me nuts.
Honestly the cabin in this car is like a furnace.
It's like asif the vents are always pushing out warm air.
I have driven the car with everyting turned off and you can still feel a slight flow of warm air coming through the vents.
Now is that "normal" ?

A

Anonymous

I get the feeling the system is designed to run with climate control on all the time (auto mode) and the only time you'd turn it off would be to get heating only. Therefore the manual air is flowing through the heater system all the time so it always gets some residual heat.

The whole idea of climate control is to remove the need for manual mixing of the air system so I wonder why you're running the system in manual mode. Even in winter, the air conditioner removes moisture from the inside of the car which is a huge aide in quickly demisting the inside of the windows on cold days.

Do you have a specific issue with running the climate control in auto mode? I know some people have sinus issues in air conditioned areas, or perhaps you are trying to reduce fuel costs? Its not a criticism, I'm just curious as to why you run the system manually. My last 3 cars have all had climate control and it never gets switched off. To me its the best thing since sliced bread.

Also, running the air conditioner regularly keeps the seals from drying out.

FGRob

Reaction score
You are trying to manually overcome what really is a automatic system, so the car is always trying to achieve your internal temperature with what ever heat / cold sources available and by changing the controls manually the car does not really know what it's doing. The heat you feel is coming from the heater matrix which starts to warm up as the car is started, it's hot water.

Normally the temeperature outside is cooler than the setting inside so the car automatically is trying to warm you up, even on low setting, you can't switch the climate control off only stop it being automatic, the car system (heater control) is always trying to do this hence the heat. The system is really designed to work in full auto mode with AC on, in otherwords set your temperature and forget it, to be honest I don't run with the AC on all the time I like to have the window open - that's the best method of freah air any way.

Let the car sort itself out, by going manual you may as well not have the system because you have lost the benefit.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Right ok, makes a bit more sense now.

I dont have any issues with running the system in auto, if thats what it takes to sort then thats the road i will go down. I just could work out why the vents are constantly giving out warm air even when everything is set to "low".

So for instance if i switch to auto and set the temps to low, i can still expect warm air, unless A/C is also on ?

My previous climate control was different to this, for instance out of auto and the system acted just like any standard cool air heating, ie: turn the dial to low and you had cool air blown from outside, turn it up and warm air would come through or turn the A/C on and the air went even cooler and then if desired set a temp profile in "auto climate control" and thats where the temps were maintained via the A/C and heaters. but out of auto and it was just an ordinary car blower system.

FGRob

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed you don't get a great deal of temperature change when you have the individual temperature setting operating, I can't get super low temp on the drivers side while the passenger side is on say 20C, you need to change to mono to get the full benefit, just another thought for you.

A

Anonymous

In the handbook (guys, remember where you put it??? :lol: ) it recommends that you don't have the difference of passenger zone and driver's zone temperatures more than three points so if it's 20 on passenger side you should stay within 17-23. Don't know why but that's what the book says :roll: .

A

Anonymous

Hanbook eh, mmmmmmmm :eusa-think:

Me thinks it's easier to come on here. :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Mine is always on auto and A/C and temp is usually set to 21. If its a warm day say 18C or above outside then I turn the temp inside down to 18 or 19. I find this blows out a lot of cold air, so much so that my right hand on the steering wheel was freezing cold from the side air vent - so in the end I had to re-adjust the side vent - which is okay now.

Just set it and forget it - works a treat :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I like the inside of my car to be as COOL, as the outside :dance:

A

Anonymous

I haven't had mine off A/C LOW since the day I bought the car in November!! :p :p I might see what 15c is like when it starts to cool down here for the winter!! :lol: