What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Heated Rear Window - Doesn't Work Well

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, picked up my RCZ GT Diesel last Friday and have been loving it ever since.

But one thing I have noticed, some mornings this week there was a lot of condensation on the outside of the windows on the car. Obviously for the front the wipers sweep it off. But in the absence of a rear wiper I tried switching on the rear heat window to shift it, in doing this I noticed that not much seemed to happen and even when I got out and touched the rear window it wasnt even that warm.

Think I'll drop it in the dealer next week to get checked out.

Anyone else had issues with the rear window heater?

Thanks,

Anthony,

A

Anonymous

do yourself a favour and clean the inside as it probably filthy and do it once a week really its that bad its a dirt magnet even from new???why i dont know i dont smoke in my car and it has only 2k miles on it. and i had to clean it since new.use a damp microfibre cloth and in the other hand use a new dry microfibre cloth whilst the window is still damp buff till dry :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

My window sis potless and I had the same problem this morning. It seemed like it took ages to clear and certainly a lot longer than my old car, but at least the mirrors cleared quickly.

If you take it in, please share what they say.

A

Anonymous

My rear window has always taken a very long time to clear. Much longer than any other car I have owned.

A

Anonymous

ryanb said:
My window sis potless and I had the same problem this morning. It seemed like it took ages to clear and certainly a lot longer than my old car, but at least the mirrors cleared quickly.

what size of rear window did your old car have in comparison to the rcz,it's big window so it will take longer to clear than most others

A

Anonymous

Same problem here.

I just wipe the window with a cloth as the heated screen doesnt seem to do much.

A

Anonymous

I put rain x on the rear glass and then as you drive off the condesation runs off the roof and clears the rear screen :thumbup:

Works better if the roof panel is well waxed and beading nicely.

regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
ryanb said:

what size of rear window did your old car have in comparison to the rcz,it's big window so it will take longer to clear than most others

Jassy It was a 3 series BMW so not small but the size of the window is irrelevant as the bigger the window the bigger the heating element. The problem is that the heating element does not seem to heat upvery well at all.

A

Anonymous

RCZGT200 said:
I put rain x on the rear glass and then as you drive off the condesation runs off the roof and clears the rear screen :thumbup:

Works better if the roof panel is well waxed and beading nicely.

regards

Marcus

Marcus, I had my car treated 2 days before I picked it up and as you say it does work, but the fact remains that this is not what we are supposed to rely on to clear the window!

A

Anonymous

The rear screen demister is designed to demist the inside of the rear window or defrost the outside, I don't think it's designed to burn off condensation on the outside..it will do so slowly but the demister switches off automatically after a period of time so you will need to click it back on again....I've not had an issue with this as the condensation has beaded up and flowed off within about 100 yards of me leaving the house.

Regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the update. Sounds like my car is behaving just like everyone elses and I am probably expecting a bit much of the heater in the absence of a rear wiper!

Cheers,

Anthony,

A

Anonymous

Having only picked my RCZ up on Saturday, I'm already missing my rear wash wipe. Especially on these 'gummy' autumn mornings :)
I've just treated myself to some of the GTechniq G1 stuff to treat my rear window - it's only a 15ml bottle so surely a little goes a long way - as long as I do it I'm not bothered about the other windows.

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:
Having only picked my RCZ up on Saturday, I'm already missing my rear wash wipe. Especially on these 'gummy' autumn mornings :)
I've just treated myself to some of the GTechniq G1 stuff to treat my rear window - it's only a 15ml bottle so surely a little goes a long way - as long as I do it I'm not bothered about the other windows.
treat all your windows with the water repellent the windscreen especially coming into winter as frost and snow move off the windscreen quicker with no need to scrape the screen {never should do this}

RCZ1

Reaction score
donnaj1dlh said:

Donna, the 15ml bottle will easily do all your windows - 3 layers on the front and 3 layers on the back, one layer on the side windows. The thing to remember is to get your windows squeaky clean. Use a glass polish or clay the windows if necessary, before applying the G1. Use the G1 sparingly. You get some little make up pads with the G1 to apply it with, just put a little of the G1 on the pad and apply in circular motions, working from top to bottom, moving across the windscreen and windows, overlapping as your go. Apply the 3 layers to the windscreen and back window. Put the first layer on, leave 10 minutes, then apply the second layer (do not butt it off in between), leave 10 minutes, apply the 3rd layer leave for 10 minutes then buff it off. If it proves a little difficult, use the G2 (which comes with the G1) to remove the excess. Apply one layer to the side windows, wait 10 minutes then buff.

Just remember not to knock the bottle over like I did - DOH :!:

The link below should help you.
http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/ex ... art-glass/

A

Anonymous

I used the Gardx rain repellent, yes it works great, but i must admit that it leaves smudges which looked awful when the car had been cleaned so i removed the repellent with Autoglym glass polish, not easy and took ages to get the smudges off the glass, i also found that my wiper blades started to shudder after i applied the Gardx.

I'm gonna try try another repellent but from a different brand and just as RCZ1 says the glass needs to be immaculate before applying the repellent.

A friend of mine works for a very well know double glazing window replacement firm and they apply a repellent to high rise office glass which he says is made by the people that manufacture Rainx, this window company also use the window repellent on their fleet of company vehicles.

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
I used the Gardx rain repellent, yes it works great, but i must admit that it leaves smudges which looked awful when the car had been cleaned so i removed the repellent with Autoglym glass polish, not easy and took ages to get the smudges off the glass, i also found that my wiper blades started to shudder after i applied the Gardx.

I'm gonna try try another repellent but from a different brand and just as RCZ1 says the glass needs to be immaculate before applying the repellent.

A friend of mine works for a very well know double glazing window replacement firm and they apply a repellent to high rise office glass which he says is made by the people that manufacture Rainx, this window company also use the window repellent on their fleet of company vehicles.

rainX :cool: AS is the rainX glass cleaner OR EVEN DILUTE IPA if you can get your hands on for nothing

A

Anonymous

Not sure if its a glass cleaner ?
My son said Halfords sell Rainx but it leaves the glass a bit greasy.
What is IPA ?

RCZ1

Reaction score
Jactac, IPA is isopropyl alcohol. Some people do use it diluted as a rain repellent but not sure how long it lasts or how it performs.
Rainx is good but you have to reapply regularly ie every month or so.
Things like Gtechniq G1 or Nanolex perform consistently and last. You only have to apply once and thy will last up to 2 years or 20k miles. Gtechniq also helps to stop ice forming on the windscreen and snow is easier to remove.
All good in my book.

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Not sure if its a glass cleaner ?
My son said Halfords sell Rainx but it leaves the glass a bit greasy.
What is IPA ?

DOH......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• homer.gif
    homer.gif
    13 KB · Views: 5,190