What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Headlamp issue, don't make this mistake.

johnallan

Reaction score
Changed both headlamp bulbs at Halfords, the guy said the driver side wasn't fitting properly and was loose but it was the best he could do. It wasn't right, so thinking, 'how hard can this be' I had a go myself. This is when i made the big mistake. I tried to unplug the connector while the bulb was still fitted. The bulb holder pulled right out the headlamp...Aaargh!
Trying to refit it has proved a nightmare. The garage wants £360 for a new headlight unit, unfitted ! At the moment i've glued it in but it isn't right.

So if your changing the bulbs remember to unclip them before removing the electrical connection.

ianGT156

Reaction score
Oh bloody hell, something else to worry about!!! :crazy:

I drove home two nights ago and immediately noticed on a non lit road that something was wrong. I pulled over and soon saw that my nearside dipped bulb had blown.

I've been driving for 41 years and have NEVER had a headlight bulb fail on me. I spoke to an even older geezer than myself at work today and he also has never had a headlight bulb fail. Indicators, side lights, brake lights and tail lights, yes.

Anyway, I did my research at 22:00 with the intention of getting a new pair delivered ASAP, Friday 18th October. I was overdue for bed and had to be up too bloody early next day. Cue the violins please.

There was no problem at all in finding them online. H7 Halogen bulbs, there are 'kin loads of them available. Then I wondered why they vary in price from £5.19 (Bosch) for to £25.49 (Philips) twin pack on Eurocarparts. Then Amazon makes the murky waters muddier than hell. They have Halogen to LED conversions for £100+ for a pair and HIDs which are illegal, I think, and Fusion bulbs which can actually power solar cells making your RCZ fuelless and power your local town at the same time.

So why are Bosch so cheap? I've always trusted the brand name and associated it with quality, it being German and all that. I have just paid a lot for a new Bosch battery... I wonder now ... is it crap? Will it die in time for a new one at Christmas?

I then found a whatcar test... http://www.whatcar.com/news/headlight-bulbs-what-types-are-there-and-which-is-best/n19334. I used to buy "What Car" magazines years ago. A magazine is a paper book thing, I don't think they make them anymore. It was a pretty crap magazine anyway... a bit too much like "Which" magazine. I think they might even still do that one. "Performance Car and Motor", that sounds better, I think it actually existed.

Anyway, What Car web thingy has 10 H7 bulbs on test, judging them on "reach" and "visiblilty" and in order from worst to best:

Sakura Emergency Kit
Simply Brands Universal Kit
Ultra Power Bulbs BU475P
Lucas LLB472
Bosch ECO
Ring Long Life
Neolux N472EL Extra Light
Halfords Essentials 472
Osram Cool Bule Intense
Philips X-treme Vision

I was in a hurry and thought that going for the Philips X-treme Vision from Amazon at £18.78 for a pair was pretty good going. It was only at the last minute I noticed this ... "Up to 450 hours lifetime". Holy flying macaroni!!

Does anybody get through dipped beam bulbs as quick as this Philips rating implies? I can understand why a considerably brighter bulb burns off atoms somewhat faster than a dim one, but seriously, this short a life?

I'd love to hear your experiences of bulb life and brand loyalty etc.

Dear me, how sad does that sound? OK, tell me about the love of your life instead, sod the light bulbs. Loving your RCZ goes without saying so that isn't allowed. People stories only.

And thanks John Allan for that extremely important warning,

Ian :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have only ever tried to replace 1 headlamp bulb.

It was in my Toyota Corolla Saloon. It was immediately in front of the battery, with just about enough room to slide a flat hand between the battery & headlamp.
There was a fiddly spring clip holding the bulb holder in place.

Half way though trying to compress the spring clip together between my index finger & thumb, the clip twisted and sprung open. I had a sharp pain in my finger, and thought I might have cut it on something sharp.

When I pulled my hand out, the end of the spring clip disappeared into One side of my finger, and the blunt end was just under the skin on the other side forming a “pimple” type bump.

Several hours later and a very painful hospital trip, I got the spring clip back, and decided from that point anything more complicated than putting petrol in or checking the oil would be handled by a person far more mechanically competent than me.

I still have two dark marks in my finger as of course the spring was dirty and they never got all of it out.

Lesson learned :shock:

ianGT156

Reaction score
Thanks for that Pete!

I went to change the bulb today. I was well rehearsed with the instructions from page 180 of my cars handbook. The first stage was really easy, you just have to remove a rubber cap which protects the internal wiring from damp.

The next step says "Disconnect the bulb connector" then "Spread the springs to release the bulb" and finally "pull the bulb out and change it". Then you reverse the instructions and voila!!

There was a slight problem though. I'm incapable of seeing around corners and don't have eight inch long fingers.

So it's off to the main dealer. Thankfully I have two other jobs that need doing. My radiator fan that always runs at full pelt whenever the engine is running and for five minutes after the engine's turned off. Also rectifying a faulty parking sensor at the front. The chap in the service department did tell me they have to take the front wings off and there's a minimum £90 diagnostic charge plus one hours labour. I presume that's for the bulb, lol.

:dance:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I had a Renault Megan CC, apparently, they took the front wheel off to change the bulb on that as the access point was through the inner wheel arch :shock:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Most fun I ever had was changing the HIDs on my 508 GT.
I had to have a swear and throw things break.

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
I have recently changed my headlamp bulbs due to one blowing.
looked at the brighter type bulbs but thought it wasnt for me, so ended up getting standard Bosch Purelight H7's.

Don't know if the next pic will help anyone, but it shows what you have to work with...

rcz headlamp info.JPG

I managed to remove the electrical connector whilst the bulb was in-situ.
The springs have to be pressed towards the headlamp, then moved sideways (but opposite each other).
The spring will then drop away but be retained on the bottom "hinge".

The hardest part I found was you had to hold the bulb in place (it is keyed/notched) whilst bringing the springs back up.
The bulb likes to fall out of its own accord if you don't apply pressure.

Drivers side (UK) is much easier to work with due to space, so do that one 1st whilst you familiarise yourself.

2retro

Reaction score
Spot on with doing the drivers side first so you know what to do because there is zero room to see what you're doing on the passenger side so you are working blind. 👍

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
I forgot to mention.

I didnt disconnect the battery, just pulled the socket off the headlamp. After replacing the 1st bulb I noticed the spoiler had fully activated.
pressing the button on the console didnt retract it properly either. It seemed like it had got stuck.
I applied some manual force to see if there was any play and it moved slightly.
I think it was after about 10 button presses (with the spoiler moving a little more each time) that it fully retracted.
Odd.
🤔

2retro

Reaction score
That is weird. What has the spoiler got to do with the headlights?! lol

Jumper

Reaction score
It is tight trying to change the headlight bulbs. My method is to take the metal clip off first it clips at the top. Once off take the bulb out and pull the plug off the back ensuring your ignition is off. I changed from stock to Osram Cool Blue intense as they were the closest in white light temp to my LED DRLs. They have been in eleven months now and both still bright and no failures.