What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

HDi vs THP (200HP)

Odnomizla

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first RCZ, but can't decide whether to go for the 200hp THP engine or the HDi. I've test drove both of them, and while I enjoyed the HDi's low end torque and effortless cruising on the A-roads, the 200hp was a lot more thrilling to drive.

The main reason for me to consider the HDi over the THP is its reliability, as I keep reading how "bulletproof" they are. However, I'm not sure if my driving warrants a diesel engine. Specifically, my commute to work is 10 miles each way, with around 6.5 miles of this being at least 40 mph (5.5 miles being 50+).

Would potential DPF problems outweigh the reliability gains from the HDi for this use case, or would my RCZ still be in the garage less than if I were to get the THP (200)?

Thanks for reading :)

turboguy

Reaction score
Its all down to personal preference. For me niether was powerful enough and I only wanted the R.
So the question is depends on your driving style and how you will use the car.
Both models are reliable enough if maintained well, but you do get the occasional abused car which is expensive to sort out.
The HDi would require the occasional long run to avoid DPF issues. All the petrol versions require a very frequent oil changes.

Odnomizla

Reaction score
Its all down to personal preference. For me niether was powerful enough and I only wanted the R.
So the question is depends on your driving style and how you will use the car.
Both models are reliable enough if maintained well, but you do get the occasional abused car which is expensive to sort out.
The HDi would require the occasional long run to avoid DPF issues. All the petrol versions require a very frequent oil changes.
Hi Turboguy,

Thanks for your informative reply. Since writing this post I've bought a THP200 (2013 facelift). You mention very frequent oil changes - how frequent, in terms of miles? I probably only do 4-5k miles/yr.

Cheers.

Last edited:

NF7

Reaction score
Hi Turboguy,

Thanks for your informative reply. Since writing this post I've bought a THP200 (2013 facelift). You mention very frequent oil changes - how frequent, in terms of miles? I probably only do 4-5k miles/yr.

Cheers.
Then once a year. I do oil changes for my 200THP every 15k km.

turboguy

Reaction score
For it to last probably every 3K miles, I do mine at every 3K miles

TheJester

Reaction score
Just signed up 15 mins ago as I'm really wanting an RCZ so thought I'd do some homework.
Came across this post and the diesel/petrol debate is also on my mind.
As mentioned I also don't do enough miles to warrant the diesel variant plus with the price difference of the fuels its probably not cost effective anyway. Interested in opinions anyway.

Hello all anyway 😁

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's all down to the individual but I would like to add the Hdi has a good bullet proof engine and as for milage both myself and the wife have the Hdi and she only covered 1200 miles from mot to mot as this is her weekend car. Keep the services up no matter of what mileage you do... No issues with dpf.. As one good blast and it keeps it burnt off and clean.. As for mine I have Covered 10k in the last four years since getting the car serviced as when prompted no matter what mileage done... Petrol thp need very reliable also but service is important as well as regular oil changes as these engine's do drink a bit of oil so must be checked each week without fail...
Happy hunting
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co