What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

HDi 160 -the better THP 200 ?

A

Anonymous

Cheers,

I'm interessted into buy a RCZ Mk2 (>2014).

I#ve read about many cam chain Problems about THP 156.So this engine is sorted out.

Models are interessting:
HDi 160
THP 200
R

I sold my 406 V6 Supercharged Coupe (>300+ hp / 356Nm @ 32°c), because of rust...

The R should be fast as mine supercharged coupe, maybe a bit slower.

I look for a daily, realiable Car.

HDi has Timebelt -best Engine into my Eye's
THP 200, have read about problems with high pressure pump, cam chain and oil coking. Ok, with water methanol injection i could handle that coking (+ an extra of HP)

questions:

- Did somebody could test a chipped HDi against a THP 200? wich acceraltes faster from zero - vmax?
The torque figure are impressive!

(we have lot of hills... many slow trucks in front of...)

- Did somebody test WEAS into that engines? (with dynorun figures?)

- high pressure pump thp , more often or isolated problem

- problems with rust at the Alcon brake discs, if car stands around for some days...weeks? (nice weather drivers?)

i lost trust into R because my inquiry, gave a realably of 50%.
i know ONE owner, he has now 169.000km driving hard, but also many they broke this engine, with under 50.000km, one guy had send pic from engine change by a PEUGEOT garage.

i also know, that R Models are reforcred by PEUGEOT Sport -but something went wrong.

The newer 270 engine, in 308 GTi hast a different Engine Code at Servicebox too!
So i think, its modified.

(...the 308 GTi is sold cheap, with Low Millage... -why? Problem of realiablity or Fixcosts to expensive?...)

reg,
Mik

Nemi

Reaction score
- high pressure pump thp , more often or isolated problem
I would say it is common problem. Many of us have already changed hpfp before reaching 100k km. Mine broke at around 80k km :thumbdown:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Put it this way, I wouldn't swap my 200 for a diesel. Diesel is ok for going up motorways (my last 3 cars have been HDI) but a sports coupe should be petrol.

I didn't buy an RCZ to do 500mpg, or have to remap to make it as fast as the next one up, because without other work it never will be as fast as the next one up.

Unless you can afford an R, the 200 is personally the next best option.

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Chacun à son goût.
I will put my case for diesels.
Given that I have had the pleasure of driving some very potent motors, not least of which the Zero that is in mid-sale, which, dare I say it, will outperform on roadholding and acceleration the majority of the motors on the road.
Anyway, our local terrain is hilly and also the villages are not easy to get through and around with narrow streets and steep ups and downs.
I have got used to, and like, the torque of a diesel, especially low down.
Then off we go to Madrid or the South West and the Autovia is as clear as is never seen in the UK, but cameras and mobile traps.
Cruise control on for over an hour at a time.
There can also be many kms between opportunities to fuel up.
Apart from the ATV used only on our land, and the Zero for fun, we have only had one regularly used petrol powered motor.
It is our runabout 108 and nippy but in and around town needs constant stick waggling, and plenty of revs taking off on inclines.
On the Autovia it is no slouch but is far busier than any of the diesels.
Price of fuel is lower here, but the petrol 1.2 Puretech uses more that the 1.6 5008, so more frequent filling.
Now, I'll concede our use is unlikely to be compatible with the UK average, but just thought I would be devil's advocate!
Oh, and when the Zero dosh is in, it will be the diesel RCZ for me.

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
I drive the HDi version. Has now 202120 km on the clock, and the biggest issue I had up to now: Oil-leak in the fuel pump.

For the rest: airco condensor after 180000km and a wheel bearing after 2,5 years.

On the race track you feel a little bit the "heavy" lump of iron in the front. Lap-times are (according to more experienced racers) reasonable for a road car with road tires. :mrgreen:

On b- (or c-) roads in the Belgium-Ardennes, it's a pleassure to drive. :auto-car:

Should I buy it again knowing in 2011 what I know now? Yes and No.
Yes, it's for me (and in Belgium) the most economical choise for a daily.
No, I really am in love with the R. But an R should be the 2nd or 3rd car in the collection for sunny days. And that's something I can not afford :eusa-think:

So many things I dream of, but not enough time and money to full fill them all.

(I also have a Peugeot 309 GTi16 restoproject what still is in the "one day" list) :oops:

Reaction score
I think its more question what you want from car, because 406 and rcz are world apart one is limousine other sport car, and if you forget about engines it will be big difference in first place
As for engines hdi has torque, thp rpm and sound so its more personal perference then performance, also thp has consumption over 10L if you drive fast, I think this is big factor
You can look on youtube comparison, hdi vs 200, driver is Antony Davidson former 908 driver
What I find its difficult to find good 200 for reasonoble money, and low mileage...just dont look for cheapest one ;)

Reaction score
Joske
Can you feel front lower brace on road, or its only better on racetrack?

Joske

Reaction score
The HDi does not have it from factory. :)

I placed one aftermarket, and to be honest on the road you don't feel any difference. On track it was noticable at some corners there was less understeer then without the strut brace.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
mikwasrotrext said:
i lost trust into R because my inquiry, gave a realably of 50%.
i know ONE owner, he has now 169.000km driving hard, but also many they broke this engine, with under 50.000km, one guy had send pic from engine change by a PEUGEOT garage.

I'd fancy chatting with your buddy on his 169.000 km in the R. Can you connect me with him? :greetings-wavingblue:

rcz200it

Reaction score
I think its so difficult to answer!!
I think it depends on how many miles a year and where mostly driven!!
For the uk using everyday i think the 163bhp hdi..
But if you live in area with lovely twisty roads it has to be 200thp!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The only problem with having a HDI as a daily driver is that often you don’t get the opportunity to give it the blast it needs to clear the particulate filter. There have been a few members with this problem on here. No such issues with the 200.

Scott S

Reaction score
The hdi wins it, only a 1 second slower 0-60 but cheaper tax cheaper insurance and better mpg. Plus an engine that'll keep on going and going.

2retro

Reaction score
Let's face it any RCZ is going to be streets ahead of a rusty old 406! lol

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 1.8 petrol d9 406 saloon in China blue, was a great car.
Literally nothing went wrong with it.
It was still about with 140.000 some miles on it until recently.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Plecodoras

Reaction score
This is a peculiar post ?

Firstly you compare your 406 V6 Supercharged Coupe (>300+ hp / 356Nm @ 32°c),

so you are looking for speed / BHP / fast 1/4 miles ?

Then you want to know about HDI engine / R / 156 / 200

Well obviously the R is the faster of the lot, so for your speed hunger - the R is choice.

Then MPG and relaibility - well gotta be the HDI 163 BHP ( not a sloth at that BHP ) and extremely reliable and as said high mpg figures and lower insurance and running costs overall.

So, you have to ask your self - what is it that you want, you can't compare a V6 300BHP car to a HDI RCZ ??

I have the R and I love it, but if that's not what you want / afford, then the best all rounder would be the 200.

Cheers M. :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I bought my 200 literally weeks before the R came out. If I could have afforded it, I would have definitely gone for the R (probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it as it was so new - no used ones on the market then).

Having said that, I have been sooooo happy with my 200, sometimes I wish I wasn’t, then I would have an excuse to look for an R :eusa-think:

Reaction score
I have asked my mechanic if its possible to put map from new 180 hdi to 163 and he has confirmed that its possible, he said there were some problems on remaped-chiped 163 engines, but no problems with fap filters, clutch is undersized for such torque and remaped clutch is slipping so even after 10k miles clutch can be worn
Here is anwser for remaped hdi
Do someone has remaped hdi, or know someone that has....what is experience

Joske

Reaction score
IF the remap is done correctly it should not make a big difference in wear of the clutch.

My previous car, a 206 1.4HDi was remapped from 68 to 92 bhp and 150Nm to 220Nm. BUT the rpm's on what the maximum torque released was raised from 1600 rpm to a little bit over 2000rpm.

The biggest problem for the clutch is High torque and low rpm. So if you keep that in mind, and don't do a full pull from 1200rpm you should not have a lot of issues. It all comes down to the donkey at the wheel.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Joske said:
It all comes down to the donkey at the wheel.

There is nothing wrong with my driving....

unlike my mate who got pulled by the Police......

Yes hang your head in shame !!

pictures subject to copyright of respective owners !