What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Has Anybody Tried ..........

A

Anonymous

Greased Lightning's Showroom Shine?.

While I was trying to find the Knitting Chan....... "cough" Sports Channel I stumbled accross this cleaner that requires no water and puts a protective coating over your paintwork and glass.

Yeah, they are never going to say it's a load of old trouser but the demonstration was impressive.

Is it worth a go or should I continue my quest to get a life.

Beef

RCZ1

Reaction score
I've not heard of this particular product, but heard lots about waterless products. It doesn't quite sit right with me somehow. I don't see how you cannot do damage to your car without using water to get rid of the dirt. Just my opinion.

FGRob

Reaction score
I think you really need to think about this, last weekend we spent the day around Chatsworth / Bakewell area, when I got home it was too late to clean the car so I had to run for a week without cleaning the RCZ :shock: :shock:

I cleaned her early Friday morning before we left for the Big City :dance: all I can say is no way a no water system would remove the very large amounts of Cow S**T which had very kindly being placed of 80% of the roads I'd used, it took me the best part of 20 mins just to get the top coat off :helpme: :wtf: with the power washer.

So the answer to your question is - wash the crap off first, then give it a good wash with some decent shampoo and if not done before give her a good waxing - not polishing as so many people mistakenly think is the same ;)

To get the results to last you can't short cut the process - no matter what they say on the shopping channel :crazy: :crazy:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

It does look amazing but I'd be anxious about rubbing any grit already on the paintwork into it with this technique. However, one of the reviewers on youtube recommended washing the car as usual and then using this as a finisher which would work well. I'd need to have someone braver than me try it first :D

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses.

I agree, with an inch of kryptonite on your car nothing's going to get that off.

I think with a pre-wash it could be worth a punt.

I'll give it a go and do my own review on here.

Beef

RCZ1

Reaction score
The bottle product sliding on his bonnet will have done the paintwork a world of good....................................... NOT :thumbdown:

I'd like to see the paintwork close up when these waterless products have been used me thinkgs ..... :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

yep i use it all the time its as good as the advert-use on all surfaces inc glass, its great bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
if car is really dirty i give a quick wash first and let dry

A

Anonymous

bee said:
yep i use it all the time its as good as the advert-use on all surfaces inc glass, its great bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
if car is really dirty i give a quick wash first and let dry

Cheers Bee,

I have some on order, Just need the car now.

A

Anonymous

fab, hope you dont have to wait much longer- you will bee impressed with the showroom shine im sure bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A

Anonymous

I use the Permaclear waterless wash & wax stuff when I just need a quick wash after 'normal' driving - especially on the splashes that build up on the sides. It seems hard to believe but it doesn't scratch and water beads just like after a wax.

A

Anonymous

thats true brooktop and it takes no time at all- recon permaclear is same as showroom shine and will contain carnuba wax.

A

Anonymous

bee said:
thats true brooktop and it takes no time at all- recon permaclear is same as showroom shine and will contain carnuba wax.

I've done a bit of research into all this and can tell you this.
* Carnuba wax IS a great product BUT not ideally suited to the British climate.
* The Carnuba wax in showroom shine is not in any levels to be effective. It's just a marketing gimmick because people have heard of carnuba wax.
* Permaclear doesn't really have wax at all (the general public don't really know the difference between a 'wax' and a 'sealant' in the technical sense. Wax is used more as a general term for a LSP - Last Stage Product). However, the silicone protective layer in permaclear is VERY effective. It's really glossy and water just beads straight off.

If you were worried about scratching when used on an unwashed car (and I haven't seen any) then you can use it instead of a detailing spray. It actually repels water and dust (anti-static properties). A detailing spray is just for show really. The beauty of having permaclear in your boot is that you can do an on-the-spot treatment if away from home, on tar splashes, bird poo, bug splats etc. Just leave it for about 30secs-1minute and you can see how it loosens them all and wipes straight off.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Brooktop. That makes a lot of sense and would definitely be a handy thing to keep for those emergencies you mentioned. I think I'll still prefer washing it when possible but for other times the PermaClear seems to be a great idea :thumbup: .

A

Anonymous

Just had the latest e-mail from Performance Motorcare - all about winter care. They say that wax isn't ideal in winter...especially carnuba wax as it is brittle. They say a sealant is better...so I may be inclined to follow RCZs advice and use a sealant instead..and then use permaclear to keep it topped up.

A

Anonymous

if you were only going to have one cleaning product i would strongly recommend this product used it for years -but it will cause swirl marks can be used on glass chrome the works
what i have learned is always wash your car first. for speed can not be beating

RCZ1

Reaction score
Brooktop said:
Just had the latest e-mail from Performance Motorcare - all about winter care. They say that wax isn't ideal in winter...especially carnuba wax as it is brittle. They say a sealant is better...so I may be inclined to follow RCZs advice and use a sealant instead..and then use permaclear to keep it topped up.

In what way is it brittle - does it say? I've used waxes throughout winter in the past and its maintained its durability until the Spring, which is what you would be looking for with any wax or sealant.
The current train of thought is that because a wax contains more oils, dirt tends to cling to it whereas a Sealant will shrug it off better.
In the past week - its rained every day, very heavily some days, and the sealants cleaning capabilities are there to be seen on Pearl.
I certainly wouldn't discourage the use of a wax in winter. It would be an individuals choice as to which route they took (wax or sealant).

FGRob

Reaction score
Please remember that all these companies are trying to get you to spend more money, it's a sales pitch - knock something to promote a new product. :eek: :eek:

The only advice I would give is very simple, stick with something you know works and finally stick with a routine that you will continue with, if you are not going to keep the process up then you have just wasted a load of cash, I've stayed with the same process for over 6 years now, only changing my wax to Do Do Juice, that includes my Spitfire and MR2 which has won several show events I've attended.

There is some great advice on here, make your decision on what you can live with, then go with it. :eusa-think:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Good advice Rob. I washed mine and the wife's cars again yesterday. Mine hadn't been driven much since the last wash, but the storms the other night had deposited a load of muck all over them. I did them when there was still dew/rain drops all over them and so I decided to dispense with the snow foam. My wife said I didn't need to wash hers every time I did mine. There's gratitude for ya! :wtf:

I do notice that the front wheels get loads of brake dust deposits. I hope the AG Alloy Wheel Seal isn't attracting the dirt and it's just cos they're still bedding in. I may follow Rob's tip and get Rim Wax next time.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
In what way is it brittle - does it say?

Here's the text:
Salt - One Of Your Cars' Worst Enemies

While most of us cringe at the thought of using a local hand wash garage, most good hand car washes offer a high-pressure wash to flush the underside of your vehicle if you ask them to.

If you don't have a hand car wash within your are or even one that will be prepared to offer you an undercarriage wash, find a do-it-yourself wash and use the high-pressure hose that you would normally use to wash the body with, alternatively buy a head attachment for your hose pipe at home to flush the underside of the car as best as
possible.

We would recommend you wash your car as often as possible in winter as many of us tend to slack off from our regular wash routine in the winter months because of the cold, wet weather. When you are blessed with a dry day, try and find the time to wash or have your car washed. Easier said than done, we know. But well worth the time.

Protect Against The Harsh Winter Weather

Keeping your car waxed/sealed and the rubber and vinyl treated is the best way to maintain a healthy exterior finish.

Traditional carnauba based waxes may not hold up in harsh winter conditions, so if you have not already done so, you may wish to change over to a synthetic wax or sealant for winter protection.

Unlike carnauba waxes, a polymer or acrylic resin sealant can shield against water and road salts. A high quality sealant should last through about three months of a harsh winter.

Our recommendations include:

Poorboys EX-P
Collinite 476S Super Double Coat Wax
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax
Meguiars Synthetic Sealant #21

Additionally application of wax is not as effective in the winter
months due to the low temperatures, unless of course you have a heated garage you can work in. However we would recommend that you still make this one of your winter care jobs as it is better to have some protection, than none at all. Quick detailer sprays are also a great way to buff up the paint and restore a thin film of protection as well.

Other parts of your cars' exterior such as the bumpers, trim and rubber door seals also need extra protection when the temperature drops. These materials are affected by extreme temperatures and the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV radiation causes fading, hardening and cracking, especially in the winter with a reduced ozone layer. When properly maintained; door, bonnet and boot seals will maintain their shape and elasticity longer, providing a better seal. Both Wurth Rubber Spray and Wurth Rubber Fit are specially formulated and designed to protect and maintain your cars rubber seals.

Interior - Although Inside, They Also Need More Care In Winter

Winter is also hard on car interiors. The cold, dry air of winter
also tends to pull out the moisture from your leather and vinyl. It therefore also important to treat the interior prior to the onset of freezing temperatures.

Once the daytime temperatures dip to near freezing, leather and vinyl will not gain a lot of benefit from the application of conditioners at that temperature, we would therefore advise you get this done now whilst we have a relatively mild spell.

For leather we recommend Glitpone Leather Conditioner and for vinyl either Meguiars Vinyl & Rubber or Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care.

Wheels & Tyres - At The Sharp End Of The Harsh Winter Weather

Your cars' tyres are also exposed to the full force of winter
elements. Liberal use of a high quality tyre dressing not only
keeps them looking good during the harshest weather but also provides a barrier to the elements and to ozone, that can cause rubber to deteriorate.

Use a dressing with good a UV protection system built in to ensure adequate protection. Apply to both front and back of tyres with a liberal application of dressing. Allow the dressing to soak in for good 5 to 10 minutes before wiping off the excess, during winter the tyre dressing make take longer to cure, some in some cases the 5 to 10 minutes may not be long enough. Again the Meguiars Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner #40 is and excellent choice as is Smart Dressing or Mothers Tire Shine which also have the UV protection.

Inspect your windshield wipers before the snow and rain come. Replace them if there's any sign of wear. While you're at it, check your wash fluid and add a winter screen wash making sure you put at least double the normal dose in due to the freezing temperature's and check that antifreeze. A good winter screen wash will help cut through road salt, road grime and mud.

We recommend:

Autoglym All Weather Screenwash
CW:100 with addition of antifreeze
Sonax Clearview with the addition of antifreeze
Sonax Anti Freeze with Clearview

Whilst on the subject of windscreens and freezing it is always worthwhile carrying a bottle of De-Icer in your car as well as having one in the house (in case your locks freeze as well). Our personal favourite is Autoglym De-Icer which is effective up to -50 degrees and safe on paintwork, plastics and rubber.