What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hand break issues anyone???

A

Anonymous

I’ve had my RCZ 2 yrs in Nov. so far only 13.5k on the clock
The last 2 months while visiting family down south my car has rolled off my mums drive about 40mins after turning the engine off.
Have been told it could be the discs cooling. yet shouldn’t really happen on this type of car IMO for the cost etc.
Both times the car rolled down the drive, across the road and up an garden embankment over a bolder.
1st time the bolder hit the middle of the car, not much damage, liveable and easy to repair at low cost. 1st thought it was just a freak thing that just happened.
2nd time it happened my RCZ was not so lucky... :(
My mums neighbour knocked on the door and told me my car was across the road, he saw that the hand break was on and now the back driver side is mangled.
Wasn’t too bothered about the damage, but it was school leaving time so it could have been such a different picture, either being hit by another car/bus or hitting someone.
I stupidly.....!!!!! took it back to peugeot and explained all the above with photos etc as wasn’t a steep incline. I know I should have gone to an independent to get this checked 1st....but you don’t...its your RCZ!
Low and behold they said there’s nothing wrong with the hand break. yet its happened twice, same sort of timing after stopping.
I have a witness seeing the hand break was on (who’s an ex mechanic and explained about the discs cooling) and since having it back the hand break feels different and I know its been tinkered with (fixed)
My issue is I now have a £1500 bill to claim through insurance and not 100% confident about leaving it parked on a hill. A car at this expense shouldn’t need to be in gear.

Has anyone had any issue along these lines

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Doesn't everbody leave there car in gear when parked I've always done it hill or flat? :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

I'd only ever leave it in gear on a very steep hill.

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
Doesn't everbody leave there car in gear when parked I've always done it hill or flat? :eusa-think:

My driving instructor strongly discouraged this when I was learning. He encouraged you to come out of gear and apply the hand brake any time the car became stationary. Ok so, I ride the clutch from time to time but when I park I never leave it in gear. My old man does....not that I'm saying you're old mac ;)

A

Anonymous

I may not be in the flush of youth anymore but hey i always find my car where i parked it and not across the road in the ditch :D, do you still feed the steering wheel and have 2 hands on the wheel at all times like the driving instructor says :eusa-think: do i need to go on :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
I may not be in the flush of youth anymore but hey i always find my car where i parked it and not across the road in the ditch

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're absolutely right, of course!! I think the 2 hands (at 10 and 2) were dropped about 2 mins after leaving the test centre!! How quickly "bad habits" form!!

A

Anonymous

General rules when parking on a steep incline is to leave it in gear & full lock the wheels towards the kerb. My old mans Ford Granada years ago rolled off his driveway and across the road but again not a steep incline. I really wouldn't be expecting your RCZ to be doing the same. Sounds like they may have tightened your handbrake cable though. I may be wrong but im sure the handbrake only locks the rear discs which don't really get as hot as the fronts. Can only be either discs, pads, handbrake cable or brake fluid surely. I would definately know if they have adjusted my handbrake as you wouldn't be able to yoke the thing up. You been trying to drift your RCZ haven't ya lol tell the truth come on... :)

A

Anonymous

I do none of those things but I do recall being told to lock the wheels to the kerb.

Aah the Granada (and original MR2) a car as I might draw one. So glad styling has moved on. (No offence to your old man though...I used to think that they, and the original Scorpio were both awesome)

RCZ1

Reaction score
Like mrizzle I was always told to get out of gear as soon as stationery and handbrake on. Only leave in gear when parked on a hill.

My last car, a Vauxhall Tigra convertible, you could not park on any sort of a hill, as the hand brake would not hold it. Something to do with with it having brake drums ?

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
No. Never have done and never thought to do. Still hold steering wheel at the 10 - 2 position and feed it through my hands. However if I parked on a slight incline as in this case and my car rolled off twice, then there would be no opportunity of a third time, as I would be getting shut of the car!!!!!! No hesitation at all.

How in gods name could you own a car that is capable of simply rolling off and doing god knows what injury/damage?

A

Anonymous

Always leave my car in gear. Especialy in winter. You can easy destroy your brake pads and disks when temperature is - 15 and you left for night.

A

Anonymous

I always used to leave my car parked in gear at my old house ..... older car and steep drive is never a good combination if the handbrake is suspect....

I leave my car parked in gear after I've washed the car, rather than leave the handbrake on 'cos they're buggers for sticking.....

A

Anonymous

You may wish to try this old trick.
Apply the hand brake to bring the car to a stop from very slow speed in both forward and reverse a few times to adjust up the calipers. Adjusting the hand brake cable only shortens the amount of length of pull on the hand brake, the calipers are supposed to auto adjust, but some times they get lacking. Do not be silly with the speed (as it makes little differance and can be risky if anything is in the way) and make sure you do it in both directions, do not yank it on, simply apply a steady rate.
Get that jet washer in them rear brakes to wash of the dust (hose pipe will do the same)

Paul141

A

Anonymous

paul141 said:
Get that jet washer in them rear brakes to wash of the dust (hose pipe will do the same)

Paul141

I do that, hence why they kinda rust on overnight!! :roll:

A

Anonymous

When I passed my advanced driving test some 5 years ago, I was told by my examiner, a police pursuit driver, that you should always leave your car in gear when parked. He also said that every now and again you should apply your hanbrake slightly whilst driving slowly.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Why? What will that do ?
RCZ1 the answer to your lies three posts up IE:- You may wish to try this old trick.
Apply the hand brake to bring the car to a stop from very slow speed in both forward and reverse a few times to adjust up the calipers. Adjusting the hand brake cable only shortens the amount of length of pull on the hand brake, the calipers are supposed to auto adjust, but some times they get lacking.

RCZ1

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
RCZ1 said:
Why? What will that do ?
RCZ1 the answer to your lies three posts up IE:- You may wish to try this old trick.
Apply the hand brake to bring the car to a stop from very slow speed in both forward and reverse a few times to adjust up the calipers. Adjusting the hand brake cable only shortens the amount of length of pull on the hand brake, the calipers are supposed to auto adjust, but some times they get lacking.

Sorry missed that - I've had a drink you know ;) hick !