What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Guide to Full Detail / Maintenance Washes

A

Anonymous

stevebasshead said:
Lovely, off to have a re-read now :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oh man....it's friday....... Go. To. The. Pub!!!!

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:
stevebasshead said:
Lovely, off to have a re-read now :D

Oh man....it's friday....... Go. To. The. Pub!!!!
Lol! Would it still be wrong to read it while in the pub? (that would almost count as multi tasking for this male brain ;-))

A

Anonymous

This is an excellent, thorough guide, thank you. I only fear that after doing this, a couple of seagulls deploy their white stuff all over it. It happens daily over here in Gibraltar.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 what's yoûr opinion on super guard paint protection?

A

Anonymous

Rachelalvey said:
Don't use language like that Rachel, especially to our detailing queen :lol:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Rachelalvey said:
Don't use language like that Rachel, especially to our detailing queen :lol:

Ahh take it you're not impressed then? Someone who lives near me does it. Now I've got my baby I want to keep her looking beautiful!

RCZ1

Reaction score
Rachelalvey said:

Rachel, Supaguard does not last that long. There are much better coatings on the market which will provide your car with better protection.
Personally I would invest some money in paying a professional detailer to coat your car for you and give it the love and care that it deserves.
Do a google search for professional detailers in your area and see what services they offer and what protection takes your fancy.

This list may help you find a professional detailer in your area
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=40246

A

Anonymous

Superb guide to the art of detailing! +1

On the subject of coating, I've decided to get my RCZ Ceramic coated - I'll let you know how good it is! Much as I enjoy detailing (I even bought a Meguiars G220v2 machine polisher and microfibre system to do the XKR), with 2 young kids and a busy job I just don't have the time for it at the moment. I therefore decided that seeing as it is being polished and prepped by the garage for delivery, for an extra £300 (the cost of a pro-detail) it could be worth giving it a try. It also protects the interior and glass!

The Ceramic coating technology is supposedly Gen 3 (compared to Gen 2 Supaguard/Scotchguard type products) and endorsed by the Williams F1 team so will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next few months. I will of course be using the correct washing techniques, snowfoam, mitt, grit-guard (definitely NOT a automated car wash!) etc but am hoping to avoid lots of polishing/waxing etc - will be interesting to see the results assuming it has been prepped well in the first place...

http://www.autoprotect.co.uk/ceramic-coat
http://www.paintprotectionproducts.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8PFUFH_x0&feature=plcp
http://www.hillmoren.com/10471Williams% ... let_V1.pdf

A

Anonymous

It's all down to the preparation and dealership valeters are not given the time and probably don't have the training either

A

Anonymous

Indeed, it is ALL down to the prep. That said, from reading elsewhere I believe it gets full prep/de-contamination etc before they apply the coating though... The paint was pretty good when I viewed the car so they shouldn't have too much to do to it tbh and I'm not after absolute perfection for this car, I just need something that's easy to maintain for the time being... Worst case I'll take it up to the chap that did my XKR originally (and got me into detailing) and get him to do a thorough job! :eusa-think:

http://www.obsessivecardetailing.co.uk/

RCZ1

Reaction score
Sorry am I reading this right? The dealers applying this coating? You are trusting them to do it?

Much can go wrong with the application as I had happen to me and hence my reasons for finding detailing and how to do it properly yourself.

£300 is a lot of money to pay for it NOT to be done properly.

A

Anonymous

Personally, I'd pay a professional detailer that money. They'd spend a day on the car, whereas the dealers lads will most likely be allocated a couple of hours, They have a lot of cars to prep, especially at this time of year. Each to their own, but I've seen brand new cars full of swirls caused by the valeters at these places.

A

Anonymous

Agree with the above. I forgot to tell them not to wash mine at my recent service and wasn't over the moon with the results, which if they were then to do what you want, would get sealed in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Sorry am I reading this right? The dealers applying this coating? You are trusting them to do it?

According to the salesman they are an authorised outlet for the treatment - which I guess they apply to new Kias whose owners have also ticked the option as they leave the showroom, so one would hope they will do a good job...

I know there are risks in letting them do this, but in this case it is a calculated one that I am prepared to take - best case 5 years of minimal maintenance and shiny paint, worst case I take it to a pro-detailer at a later date and get it machine polished and sealed, but at the moment I have neither the time or the inclination to do the job myself (or drive it 200 miles north to 'my man'/or find another detailer I trust) and thought I'd try coating technology for a change! As ever I've read many polarised opinions as to whether it is any good on the web, but I will reserve judgement until I've actually tried it! :eusa-think: In the nicest possible way, I sincerely hope I prove you all wrong! :p

RCZ1

Reaction score
Well I hope so too :)

Whether it lasts 5 years is debatable in itself but even if it was to last 2 years, it would be worth it.

Having experienced first hand, bad preparation of paintwork before having a paint protection applied, I sceptical about any of them doing it right.

A

Anonymous

mistral_blue I understand where your coming from. Hopefully your dealership will be better than the majority and you get a good job done.

I attended a Children in Need fundraiser at a dealership, as I'd travelled a long way I was going to take advantage of the valet service (donation for the charity of course) until I saw a brand new Black RCZ emerge and as the sun shone onto it.......................... my God !!!! it looked like they'd wash it with sand paper :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the car I didn't buy... looked great until seen in direct sunlight! :shock: There's definitely good machine polishing and bad machine polishing! :thumbdown:

I've decided I'm going to ring them on Mon and ask to speak to the guys who do the Ceramic coating to determine the exact process, if I'm not happy with how it will be prepped (basically I want to know it will have had the paintwork corrected before the coating is applied) I'll save my £...