What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Growl on pulling off.

David Jones

Reaction score
Hi all. Noticing a growling noise as I pull off. Engine runs smooth. Clutch seems good. Gear change seems good. Appears most when pulling away or when pulling away on a hill.
Normally a growling noise would warm the cockles of my heart but this could warm the cockles of my wallet if it is what I think it is.

Flanners

Reaction score
Dual Mass Flywheel is breaking down....could last ages before imploding...noise annoyed me...was replaced.

Last edited:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
What @Flanners said ⬆️

I had the same issue, very intermittent but had it replaced under extended warranty. They did the entire clutch assembly including DMF & new clutch plate.

NF7

Reaction score
I don't think its the dual-mass flywheel. It is 99% throw out bearing. If the sound is like metal on metal grinding, that is.

Flanners

Reaction score
the DMF is a weak point and in my view not fit for purpose I would prefer a SMF and will replace with one if/as when.

Lay money it is the DMF given the description of pulling away/incline......my clutch plates had no wear, thrust bearing was fine.....it was the DMF.

As and when you decide to replace it will make no difference what componet is shagged anyway given the nature of the job...... if you're in there, all should be replaced with a full clutch kit, dmf/smf etc

DKZ5745

Reaction score
From the description it sounds very much like the issue I had a few years ago. It was diagnosed as the DMF. My clutch plate had no wear, but the warranty agreed to pay for the entire assembly to be replaced.
I put up with it for some time, it started to get so loud when it occurred that people nearby would look Round. When it started doing it in reverse, I took it in.
It was so intermittent I had to go back when an assessor from the warranty company (Peugeot Platinum Extended Warranty) was there to witness it.
I drove in short bursts up and down the car park for @ an hour with the service manager & warranty guy stood watching me. Eventually it let out a loud “roar” which was enough for him to agree to sorting it foc.

Flanners

Reaction score
From the description it sounds very much like the issue I had a few years ago. It was diagnosed as the DMF. My clutch plate had no wear, but the warranty agreed to pay for the entire assembly to be replaced.
I put up with it for some time, it started to get so loud when it occurred that people nearby would look Round. When it started doing it in reverse, I took it in.
It was so intermittent I had to go back when an assessor from the warranty company (Peugeot Platinum Extended Warranty) was there to witness it.
I drove in short bursts up and down the car park for @ an hour with the service manager & warranty guy stood watching me. Eventually it let out a loud “roar” which was enough for him to agree to sorting it foc.
you helped diagnose mine and you were right :)

I didn't have to do a demo, but had to wait 2 days while they disassembled and looked for the issue, saying if the plates were worn etc I would be paying the labour as friction material was not covered......it was the DMF so got all new items FOC.....Covid helped out for claims think they paid lots out over the phone rather than sending an assessor!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
They said the same about my plates, but as there was no wear they covered the cost of the lot.

Marmite

Reaction score
Hi all. Noticing a growling noise as I pull off. Engine runs smooth. Clutch seems good. Gear change seems good. Appears most when pulling away or when pulling away on a hill.
Normally a growling noise would warm the cockles of my heart but this could warm the cockles of my wallet if it is what I think it is.
Yep they all prone to it sounds like a cow when I had mine I’d never sit with the clutch depressed waiting for the light I’d knock it out of stick an use the hand brake u would know if it was the duel mass flywheel it would be clattering