What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Grinding noise - time for a new clutch?

Guppy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this topic has already been covered in previous threads, however I have managed to record the dreded grinding noise on my dashcam which others maybe able to relate to, thus helping with the diagnosis.

The noise captured is that of a failing 'dual mass flywheel' due to the bearings having worn. The remedy is to have the entire clutch unit and flywheel replaced at around £1600 from a Peugeot dealer.

My RCZ '200bhp' has only covered 36k so this is known as a 'premature failure' as most clutches should last 60k - 100k.

The grinding noise is intermittent and more evident when pulling away on an incline, in reverse gear and sometimes when 'riding' the clutch in heavy traffic. If is also worth noting that gear change remains smooth and unaffected.

The first video in the below link is that of a hill start, and the second being in 'reverse gear'.

I hope these videos help with your diagnosis.

http://www.penninehomesecurity.com/rcz

Nemi

Reaction score
Sounds like an elephant :wtf:

By the way, why you don't you post those videos on youtube instead of some company website? :D

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced on a 407, my Dad had his replaced on his 407 too.

Neither sounded like that.
A slight rattling and a pulsing on the clutch pedal are the only things we got.

Unless yours is way past were ours were.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I had my entire clutch assembly, including flywheel and clutch plate replaced under the Peugeot platinum extended warranty. They said they thought it was the flywheel that had failed and causing the noise, which was just as you describe.

The dealership that did the work said that they couldn’t see anything wrong with any of the parts that they removed, but they were all replaced under the warranty.

Touch wood, it’s been ok since :thumbup:

howardf

Reaction score
That noise was a lot more pronounced than mine.
Maybe mine was just on its way out....clutch and dmf were replaced under warranty. Peugeot must know by now there is an issue.

Guppy

Reaction score
Nemi said:
Sounds like an elephant :wtf:

By the way, why you don't you post those videos on youtube instead of some company website? :D

I've no idea how to upload a video on YouTube, plus the website is my own, so it was more convient.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
They originally thought it was the release bearing on mine, but then decided it was the dmf. The warranty guy thought the same & approved the replacements.

Like I said, they told me there was nothing wrong with any of the parts removed, yet it does seem to have done the trick (so far).