What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

GEARBOX horror story . . .

French Letter

Reaction score
HORROR STORY.

In 2015, I foolishly went to a private Pug/Citroen mechanic to replace the clutch on the French Tart (207cc Sport THP150).

They drained the gearbox fluid in order to get at the bell housing, etc.

They did a crap job, with the clutch shuddering after the work was done, so I took it back and they did it right.

Yesterday, I decided to change the gearbox oil as I have done prior before the clutch replacement.

Used this stuff – recommended:
https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

When I removed the drain plug, SHOCK, HORROR, about 100 mill of fluid came out!
It has never leaked since the clutch change, so the fools forgot to replace the fluid at clutch change time. That means the French Tart has done 50,000 kilometres with no fluid in the gearbox. :evil:

There was no metal filings or stuff on the drain plug thank goodness and as the car did only short runs during this period, the gears seem to be OK. Tough little Pug MA5 box. So, I refilled with two litres of fluid and took her for a spin. Yes, noise (a slight rumbling) from the front left had disappeared and the car pulls better in all gears and of course the gear change is much smoother.

I think I got away with it. I hate anyone working on my cars, but in this case, I had no choice.

Attachments

• IMG_0330 copy.jpg
    IMG_0330 copy.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 651

French Letter

Reaction score
I have a hunch as to why the Tart's MA5 gearbox lasted well for 50K kilometres with no forkin' oil.

Short trips during that time and I had previously replaced the gearbox oil twice before with Red Line.

It may have been this oil, that coated the cogs so well. Red Line uses base stock jet turbine oil and works it from there . . .https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

Oh well, go figure.

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Once upon a time, I guess in the late fifties and the sixties, my wise old father (an all round old school engineer) swore by an additive that contained:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
It was claimed, but few tested it, that an engine or gearbox could be run "dry" providing it had previously been subjected to the treatment just using an additive.

French Letter

Reaction score

Bobby D

Reaction score
HORROR STORY.

In 2015, I foolishly went to a private Pug/Citroen mechanic to replace the clutch on the French Tart (207cc Sport THP150).

They drained the gearbox fluid in order to get at the bell housing, etc.

They did a crap job, with the clutch shuddering after the work was done, so I took it back and they did it right.

Yesterday, I decided to change the gearbox oil as I have done prior before the clutch replacement.

Used this stuff – recommended:
MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

When I removed the drain plug, SHOCK, HORROR, about 100 mill of fluid came out!
It has never leaked since the clutch change, so the fools forgot to replace the fluid at clutch change time. That means the French Tart has done 50,000 kilometres with no fluid in the gearbox. :evil:

There was no metal filings or stuff on the drain plug thank goodness and as the car did only short runs during this period, the gears seem to be OK. Tough little Pug MA5 box. So, I refilled with two litres of fluid and took her for a spin. Yes, noise (a slight rumbling) from the front left had disappeared and the car pulls better in all gears and of course the gear change is much smoother.

I think I got away with it. I hate anyone working on my cars, but in this case, I had no choice.
Nothing worse than having to pay someone for doing half a job!!

chrismac

Reaction score
I have always added a tube of Molyslip to a gearbox whenever I acquired a new car or changed the Gearbox oil.
Best £10 ever spent.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard reports that some gearboxes weren’t originally filled correctly from the factory which had only been discovered upon owners replacing the oil that pug says doesn’t need replacing!

French Letter

Reaction score
I have heard reports that some gearboxes weren’t originally filled correctly from the factory which had only been discovered upon owners replacing the oil that pug says doesn’t need replacing!

Yes, what you say is true. I had an Astra 1.8 petrol manual. Was the runaround for the family. The tranny oil had no service schedule, and the tranny sump had no drain plug.

Being a fluid replacement disciple, I decided to do the tranny fluid. Had to remove the tranny sump bottom plate to empty the fluid. Required a new gasket to re-install. Filled through a small air hole in top of tranny case. That was a very slow process, almost a cup every five minutes. Put the specified 1.8 litres of fluid in. Again used this stuff, the only stuff I use: MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

Difference - noticed smother shifts, improved pull (2%)

Back to my reply.

I measured how much original fluid came from the transmission and it was 900 mill. That's half the specified amount!

Always change your fluids.

So Vauxhall, in manufacturing say 300,000 Astra's, saved 1 litre of fluid on each car. That's 300,000 litres.