What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Gap in bodywork??

hubcaps

Reaction score
Has anybody else experienced this? I think there could be an explanation somewhere for the awful tyre noise that seems mainly to come from the rear tyres.
This is:
This morning when the roads were a bit wet, I was sitting in traffic with cars going past in the opposite direction at normal speed. I could hear them go past the side of the Z, BUT, I could also hear them quite clearly go away from me as if there was a hole in the boot or something. It sounded very odd. Could there be a "gap" somewhere that is letting in tyre noise as well? I know these Contis are loud and I'm trying my best to wear the buggers out, but this does seem strange. I've had cursory poke around, but I can't find anything obvious. Dunlop Sportmaxx RTs next I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCZ1

Reaction score
Are your rear seats properly secured in place? I would think if there were not you would get quite a bit of road /tyre noise from the rear of the car.

hubcaps

Reaction score
Yup, I'm pretty sure it is. I'll have a look tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Strange you should ask this, cos the other day I noticed whilst driving on the motorway, (in wet road conditions) traffic noise coming from other direction sounded louder.
I first thought my window was slightly open, but it was'nt, then when I stopped at some traffic lights it was the same, it sounded like the tyre noise from oncoming vehicles on wet road surface was increased.

I had forgotten about it until now. :eusa-think:

hubcaps

Reaction score
Exactly! It would seem that the highish frequency of vehicles on wet roads get through. Weird. I've never been conscious of this on any cars I've had before. Shortage of a blanking plug perchance?

A

Anonymous

Dont know the answer, but for some reason it's only recently I ve noticed this :eusa-think:
I have from day one noticed "road noise" coming up through the cabin, but you just get used to that, especially with these big low profile tyres, but the noise from other cars passing on wet roads is a bit strange, but I have definitely noticed it.

A

Anonymous

Rear parcel tray vents allow and funnel noise in cabin - thus it is polar L & Right , stuff in the boot effects the apparent direction. Wet conditions make some tyres very noisy as the pump the surface water to the side, also were trucks vans and SUVs on left and sedans on right - ie larger chunkier tyres vs city rubber bands.

JT; Tyre noise on most tread profiles increases in relation to tread wear, and in more expensive tyres with variable compound as much a factor.

hubcaps

Reaction score
Just blocked the rear parcel vents up with foam. It makes no difference to heater/aircon performance it would seem. I think it's taken the edge off the noise a little bit.