What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fuel pump/fuel sensor fault

A

Anonymous

This is a four year old 156 with only 15000 miles (petrol) Engine warning light came on .Peugoet say its fuel pump and fuel sensor fault Has any body . else had trouble with the fuel pump and or sensor also warning comes on for coolent fault although temperature gauge says its fine Peugoet could find nothing wrong,sometimes it can be OK,thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Sid said:
Has anybody else had trouble with the fuel pump and or sensor.....

Do a search on this one - there's shedloads of info out there on this Topic.

Hope you've got an Extended Warranty.

Good Luck. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gorwell ,it would appear that this is not unheard of and in fact should not be happening on cars of this mileage no warranty but have consumer law to work with,so onwards and upwards,Thanks again

A

Anonymous

there are plenty of PSA THPs that have Fuel pump issues. usually its the High pressure one that fails more then the low pressure side.

it can be costly to replace one.

thornebt

Reaction score
My 156THP had a fuel pump fault although it took a long time to diagnose and various other parts were first replaced by Carbase and Peugeot under my used car warranty with Carbase. Peugeot finally diagnosed the high pressure fuel pump as the fault in August. Pressure check reading was 5psi, it should be 50psi.

Cost of fuel pump was £313 incl VAT. A fuel pipe and O ring added another £18.71. Labour was only £60 + VAT so presumably this would only have been one hour. The labour element may have been low out of goodwill to Carbase as Peugeot had previously billed them over £1200 for other work to fix the same fault - mostly timing parts and an 'electrovalve'. Labour on that previous bill was £450.

Anyway, in summary the cost of replacing the fuel pump was £431.68 incl VAT. Please bear in mind that this was with just one hour's labour and I'm sure it was a much longer job.

The fault was a misfire and rough running when the engine was cold. Presumably because the engine requires more fuel when cold which the fuel pump struggled to supply.

I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

So pump and bits and bobs replaced by main dealer,best part of a grand ,car out of warrantee but very low millage,so had a discussion with Peugeot about this part being fit for purpose,which it obviously was not,due to this not being an isolated case .Peugeot refunded half so called it quits.at that.Did a bit of digging and it now seems that a suppliers responsibility does not end with the guarantee,Six years now seems to be the accepted figure on a major component for a expensive quality item.Hope this helps someone else and thanks to those who responded.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Yes, Sales of Goods & Services Act 1974 - as amended - enshrines the 6 year period you mention. Very useful for all who enter into Sales Contracts (i.e. buy or sell anything) to be familiar with.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
We had our Fuel Pump replaced just in the past week and our car has just over 58K miles on it. Fortunately we took out an extended warranty and so it was covered :)

Mekkman

Reaction score
thornebt said:
My 156THP had a fuel pump fault although it took a long time to diagnose and various other parts were first replaced by Carbase and Peugeot under my used car warranty with Carbase. Peugeot finally diagnosed the high pressure fuel pump as the fault in August. Pressure check reading was 5psi, it should be 50psi.

Cost of fuel pump was £313 incl VAT. A fuel pipe and O ring added another £18.71. Labour was only £60 + VAT so presumably this would only have been one hour. The labour element may have been low out of goodwill to Carbase as Peugeot had previously billed them over £1200 for other work to fix the same fault - mostly timing parts and an 'electrovalve'. Labour on that previous bill was £450.

Anyway, in summary the cost of replacing the fuel pump was £431.68 incl VAT. Please bear in mind that this was with just one hour's labour and I'm sure it was a much longer job.

The fault was a misfire and rough running when the engine was cold. Presumably because the engine requires more fuel when cold which the fuel pump struggled to supply.

I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.

Hi can you tell me a little more about the symptoms, was the miss fire always on the same cylinder ? I have an intermittent miss fire on cylinder 1, however if I turn off the engine and immediately turn it back on the miss fire goes away only to return a short while later.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Yes, it’s quite possible your symptoms are hpfp. When mine started to fail, it started as a misfire on cylinder 1.

In my case, it took about a month for the low pressure fault to be captured. I have heard of others that took many, many months to degrade, and some that are only intermittent - to the point the owner lives with it.

If you’ve got a data logging OBD code reader, you may be able to assess the fuel pressure yourself.

Mekkman

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
Yes, it’s quite possible your symptoms are hpfp. When mine started to fail, it started as a misfire on cylinder 1.

In my case, it took about a month for the low pressure fault to be captured. I have heard of others that took many, many months to degrade, and some that are only intermittent - to the point the owner lives with it.

If you’ve got a data logging OBD code reader, you may be able to assess the fuel pressure yourself.

Thanks Pete, do you know how I can pressure test the pump? I did pick up a P0087 low pressure fuel rail once but I haven't seen it since?

pete.garratt

Reaction score
You really need a logging OBD tool.

Clear the codes, go for a drive while logging the data, Hope the issue reoccurs, analyse the logged data.

Fuel rail pressure is logged, so you can graph it.

This is how I found mine.

If you’ve seen P0087, that’s usually conclusive the pump has an issue.

The trouble is, they can go for a long time being ‘poorly’, without getting really sick.

Mine took about a month from first misfire to actually capturing P0087 and I have heard of others that took much longer.