What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Forgot to put oil cap on xD repair engine message**UPDATE**.

Mrgamer

Reaction score
SO i was out topping up the coolant and oil when I got an urgent call...
Drove about 8 miles and on the way did smell a bit of oil burning but since i was in a hurry made nothing of it.
When I got to my destination and turned the car off the fans stayed on an in overdrive for longer than usual.
Came back to the car later battery nearly drained and the repair engine message :(.

Open the hood and voila no oil cap, forgot to put it back on. Didn't loose much oil nor got the message to top engine oil level.

The issue right now id if I turn the car on for even a moment the fans go on overdrive and stay on for while even with a cold car.

Same while driving the car won't get to 90 degrees and takes time to properly warm up.

Anyone have an idea of what it might be?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Forgot to put oil cap on xD repair engine message.

So how far did you get with topping up the coolant? I would have thought the fan issue is to do with the coolant not the oil obviously the fans are running constantly that’s why your not getting up to temperature, have you made sure the expansion cap is on correctly? And how far did you fill the expansion tank?

Plecodoras

Reaction score

How good the battery?

Does your temperature gauge jump about when you first start up? or go way past 90 into the red, triggering the fans?

you might have damaged a sensor, but check cap, coolant level and most important - oil level, yes check again from cold on level ground.

I found when mine had the sensor fault ( and I was yellow under the chin and didn't know it was a problem because I didn't frequent the forum then ), I unplugged the sensor underneath the coolant reservoir and this stopped it happening. Of course you have to be even more vigilant to check levels since you have bypassed the warning sensor, do so at your own risk, but it would tell you if your sensor is faulty.

Good Luck - Cheers M.. :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score

I am amazed that you didn’t lose much oil, driving @ 8 miles without the filler cap on :eek:

My brother once drive to work leaving his dipstick on the drive having answered a telephone call while checking his oil, and forgetting to put it back before setting off.

It was a Mercedes, and by the time he got to work @ 15 miles, the car looked like it was on fire with so much smoke coming from under the bonnet. When checked, the underneath of the bonnet, and the entire engine was covered in oil.

It does sound like you may have a damaged sensor.

Mrgamer

Reaction score

neilgsxr69 said:
So how far did you get with topping up the coolant? I would have thought the fan issue is to do with the coolant not the oil obviously the fans are running constantly that’s why your not getting up to temperature, have you made sure the expansion cap is on correctly? And how far did you fill the expansion tank?

Only topped up a bit of coolant and it's just under the max line.

Mrgamer

Reaction score

Plecodoras said:
How good the battery?

Does your temperature gauge jump about when you first start up? or go way past 90 into the red, triggering the fans?

you might have damaged a sensor, but check cap, coolant level and most important - oil level, yes check again from cold on level ground.

I found when mine had the sensor fault ( and I was yellow under the chin and didn't know it was a problem because I didn't frequent the forum then ), I unplugged the sensor underneath the coolant reservoir and this stopped it happening. Of course you have to be even more vigilant to check levels since you have bypassed the warning sensor, do so at your own risk, but it would tell you if your sensor is faulty.

Good Luck - Cheers M.. :beer:

The temperature gauge does not jump about just gets to temperature very slowly but under 90 degrees.
I'll try that and see if it works.

Mrgamer

Reaction score
Re: Forgot to put oil cap on xD repair engine message**UPDAT

Well charged the battery and put it back and had the same issue, fans would turn on straight away and the repair engine message would pop .
Bought a cheap code reader and did a reset car now perfect and sounds better? All good so far after 12 mile journey.

Also car now 130k miles :D.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Re: Forgot to put oil cap on xD repair engine message**UPDAT

Did you record what the error code was?
It might be a recurring fault and the code will help with diagnosis.
Glad it's going now and hope things stay that way lol.
Cheers M..

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk