What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Faulty dashboard lights on Peugeot 206cc

renegade79

Reaction score
Any 206 owners here? My girlfriends 206cc seems to have developed a dashboard light fault. When the headlights are turned on she claims the clock illumination is dimmer than normal and also the digital central display also dims! Is it just a bulb or two out or is it more serious? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Anthony

A

Anonymous

When you switch something ON and something else dims it's almost always because somewhere in the path of the electrics something is (more or less) connected to earth/minus, often because there's some water somewhere in the system.

Another possibility, especially with older cars, could be a dying battery.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I used to own one, 10 years ago :)

The dimming thing, is that not normal when you put your lights on? I can't remember if mine did that or not but just seems a sensible thing to happen and is standard.

renegade79

Reaction score
Well, she seems to think that before when you turned on the ignition the dashboard lights would come automatically whereas now the central digital display and dashboard lights dim when you turn on the lights.

A

Anonymous

I'm with RCZ1, the dimming of dashboard and clock lights would seem sensible when the headlights are on, the assumption being that it's night and you don't want to be distracted by lights within the cabin. Especially when they need to be brighter in daylight to be seen whereas at night they would then be too bright. All my previous cars have done this, automatically, when the headlights are on.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

A

Anonymous

stevebasshead said:
I'm with RCZ1, the dimming of dashboard and clock lights would seem sensible when the headlights are on, the assumption being that it's night and you don't want to be distracted by lights within the cabin. Especially when they need to be brighter in daylight to be seen whereas at night they would then be too bright. All my previous cars have done this, automatically, when the headlights are on.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Agree, this sounds normal. But doesn't explain why there has been a change, unless it has always done this and your misses is only just noticing?

A

Anonymous

I would suggest that is perfectly normal an in order to avoid the dash lights being overpowering/ too bright for night time driving. The RCZ seems rather clever and seems to know not to dim them if you put your lights on in daylight, but will dim them when it's dark. I suspect, but don't know that this is a case of a similar if slightly less sophisticated system.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
From what I remember, they are supposed to dim, as they are bight for daylight, and when you turn your lights on, they dim so that they dont distract you at night.

All three of my 206s have done this :S

renegade79

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. i may need to double check this issue as it may be that she has only noticed the issue now. cheers.

A

Anonymous

renegade79 said:
... as it may be that she has only noticed the issue now. cheers.

To suddenly notice something that was there all the time, especially with cars, is something women do ...ouch... ...women do often ...slap...slap...whack...OUCH!... can happen to everyone.

RCZ1

Reaction score
TomC said:
renegade79 said:
... as it may be that she has only noticed the issue now. cheers.

To suddenly notice something that was there all the time, especially with cars, is something women do ...ouch... ...women do often ...slap...slap...whack...OUCH!... can happen to everyone.

Ooh I sooooooo want to berate you .....................,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you are right ;)

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/