What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fault Codes

A

Anonymous

Hi all

need some advise
twice my engine management light has come on after my car spluttered and cut out and the fan sounded like it was going to take off both times car had only done a few yards from cold start
also i have a rattle from the engine bay when i rev again from cold start, goes when the engine is warm
codes from OBD which i plugged in today
P0313
P3613
P3713

it is a 1.6 petrol 156

Typically my Peugeot 3 year warranty has run out about 3 weeks ago :thumbdown:

thanks in advance
Vince

renegade79

Reaction score
Sounds like the dreaded timing chain rattle! Is your car still in warranty? Trip to the dealer might be in order!

tianorth

Reaction score
Get on to peugeot uk hq and speak to someone there as it's a known problem.
Best result is they cover the cost.
They should at least contribute to it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks peeps
thought it might be the timing chain issue
Peugeot warranty has run out but i took out extra warranty with the place i brought it from, so hopefully that will cover it
see what happens

renegade79

Reaction score
highlander64 said:
Thanks peeps
thought it might be the timing chain issue
Peugeot warranty has run out but i took out extra warranty with the place i brought it from, so hopefully that will cover it
see what happens
any update on this issue?

A

Anonymous

Evening no update yet,still not had chance to organize it but i am definitely doing it tomorrow as i have the day off, will have to arrange a hire car as well
one question why does the chain rattle disappear once the car is nice and warmed up???

Cheers

renegade79

Reaction score
Copied this post from a previous thread written by a peugeot technician fro Coventry. Can't seem to post the link though :eusa-think:
Should explain a few things for you!

PeugeotTechUK said:
This is a common problem on the EP6 engine used in both BMW mini,peugeot and citroen's.

This fault lie's not with the injectors or oil, its down to the oil pump, it basically is controlled by the car's ecu, rather that constantly pumping oil around the engine, it varies due to engine speed and rev's, which in turn reduced engine load and makes it more efficient due to new EU laws on emissions etc etc.

The cam and crack run off a chain driven belt rather than the common rubber cam-belt so needs to be supplied with oil, this oil runs into a tensioner which holds the belt tight and stops any rattling and keeps the chain lubricated correctly. BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroen are aware of the problem and have been fitting the higher tensioned tensioner, which would have been included on the RCZ since launch.

I'd say there was nothing to worry about, and like a lot of you have been saying it quiten's down after a good run for a few minutes. Its a lot worse from cold, but i would just put it down to the characteristic of the engine.

Hope this clears things up.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Renegade
I called the warranty company today and they are calling me back tomorrow
mine is definitely the camchain/tensioner it really is rattling bad now, does not disappear till the engine is hot about 15/20 mins dare not accelerate too hard till warm , sounds like there is no oil in the engine also the car will not properly tick over with out me keeping my foot on the accelerator again runs OK when warm