What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Failed MOT - Tyre Failure

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Had my MOT this week and didn't think too much of it.
Booked in for an Oil Change at same time - not due a Service (every 2 Years).

Had a call stating that the car had failed its MOT due to:

"Nearside rear tyre has a lump, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure."

Also an advisory note for the off side rear tyre as it is "starting to go out of shape."

Both rears been on the car since new and car now on 27k miles.
Interesting part is that both rears had plenty of tread left on 2.5 / 3 mm on each.

If you're coming up for an MOT, you may wish to check your tyres for lumps / bumps as well as the tread depth.
Never had / heard of this before on any other car / tyres so a bit of a surprise as I'd only checked for tread depth.

Took the car half mile down the road to Phelps and Williams (Tyres) and had both rears changed.
Top marks to the lads at Phelps and Williams - excellent service :clap:

Back to Peugeot and the MOT Examiner came straight out to inspect and issue the Passed MOT Document :thumbup:

Costs for the Day:

2 Contis £220 each fully fitted, balanced, etc = £440

MOT £39.99

Oil Change:
Labour: £39.25
Plug Gask: £0.42
Oil Filter: £11.23
Oil: £36.01

Total (inc VAT): £144.28

Overall Total: £584.28

Pleased to have the MOT in hand and sorted for another year now.

:thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I once had a car fail an MOT on emissions. I was so angry with them as I'd booked it in for a service and MOT. I assumed that anything found to be wrong would be put right and I'd collect it with a pass certificate.

I drove it straight to another testing house for a second opinion. They said it's passed the emissions teat no problem, however it's failed as it's got a lump in the rear tyre. Upon inspection it did indeed have a lump. I was even more upset by the Ford dealership that had not noticed this potentially dangerous fault in the tyre. Tyre replaced immediately and I popped into the Department of Transport offices on my way home to inform them of what had occurred. They said that they wished I had contacted them whilst the damaged tyre was still on the car but would be paying the Ford dealership a few visits.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
.....potentially dangerous fault in the tyre. Tyre replaced immediately .....

My thoughts exactly, which is why I was also pleased that it was highlighted immediately so that it could be rectified.

Tyres and brakes - no compromise for me on these elements.

A

Anonymous

So ur local garage does ur mot's over here we've to go to the government vehicle test centre. :(

A

Anonymous

Only Trucks and buses have to be tested in the way that you do. An authorised/approved garage can do it here.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
I once had a car fail an MOT on emissions.

Every MOT I've had on my 206s, the tester has revved the guts off the car to get it to pass the emissions.

A

Anonymous

The shower that tested and failed mine apparently took it into the workshop and immediately conducted the MOT test whilst the engine was still cold (wintertime) They then did the service. I was not a happy bunny. The guy at the DoT said that they should have ensured the car was upto working temperature before conducting the emissions test. Armed with this info I got a refund on the test fee and a reduction for the service that they'd carried out. I never returned to that dealership. However they would have had a few visits from the DoT to check upon the quality of their MOT testing. I bet they are as pleased not to see me again as much as I was not returning to them :lol:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
The shower that tested and failed mine apparently took it into the workshop and immediately conducted the MOT test ...
That's a barstewards trick, doing the MOT before the service. They willfully increase the odds of finding something wrong and charging you for the privilege of fixing it, even though they may have otherwise sorted it on the service if they'd done that first.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:
Took the car half mile down the road to Phelps and Williams (Tyres) and had both rears changed.
Top marks to the lads at Phelps and Williams - excellent service :clap:

:thumbup:

I've used Phelps & Williams countless times over the years, they are top guys.
God, I can remember when Terry Phelps first started out in a small tin shed in a Morriston back street, his son runs the business now, and they've moved on hugely since then.

Town Tyres down the road in the enterprise zone are ok too, and also Harris Brothers.

There's another place not far from Phelps & Williams in Morriston thats been going years, they changed names a few years back after 2 of the staff bought it out from the previous company.

They are a big competitor of Phelps & Williams, I wont mention it's name, but take a tip, STICK WITH PHELPS & WILLIAMS, or even Town Tyres. Far more honest and professional.