What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Extended warranty - how does it work?

A

Anonymous

I've recently bought a 156THP GT, 2010. The original warranty has already expired and it has a fault with the navigation screen and also the timing belt tensioner is in need of replacement as it's slow to tighten up the chain after starting up from cold.

Someone mentioned that main dealers offer an extended warranty for £299. I wondered if:

A. I can take it out even tough the original warranty has expired (I won't technically be "extending" anything, since the original warranty has expired).

B. If I'd be able to take it out and then have these faults addressed under the warranty, despite these two faults already existing prior to taking out the warranty.

The second hand dealer I bought it from has already carried out some remedial work to another issue, but has confirmed that both of the issues listed above won't be addressed under their warranty which only covers "mechanical breakdown" (or my statutory rights) the screen issue was known to me at the point of purchase, I accepted the car in this condition and the timing chain tensioner is a fault that developed after a fortnight of it being in my ownership and wasn't present at the point of sale and isn't considered a "breakdown" as it still works, its just takes a few minutes to tighten up the chain. I don't think I have much comeback on them.

Any advice about the warranty would be helpful.

A

Anonymous

No pre existing faults are not covered. So if you have mentioned any of the faults to the dealer then thwy will not get fixed... if you waited amonth before mentioning them tho.....

A

Anonymous

Ah ok; well I have two different dealers near me. One of them is aware of the timing belt fault, they diagnosed it and gave me a printout. Do peugeot dealers share a database? If not then the other won't be aware. I hasten to add they're not part of the same chain.

A

Anonymous

Unsure. But warranty is worth having. The new timing chain could last 10k or 100k so theres no way of knowing if it will need done again

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' mk_83 ..one thing that you didn't mention is how long you've had the car as its of signifiant importance with regards to your "Statutory Rights"! The "warranty" you said you got with the car from what you said is probably an MBI - Mechanical Breakdown Insurance policy often called a warranty which covers only the parts & components set out in its schedule.

With regards to MBI's many dealers try to hide behind them in an attempt to limit their "Statutory Obligations" given by law under the "Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1994". So, regardless of your MBI depending on how long you've had the vehicle would dictate whether the dealer you purchased your Z' from is liable for faults which WOULD include the cam belt tensioner you mentioned!

Google the 'Act' that I mentioned and your eyes will be opened, you will see more clearly, and consumer power will be given unto thee ,,in short you'll see more clearly see where you stand both now and in future!! :thumbup: AMEN.

.the big blue (..a back bencher apostle ,,passionate about NOT just my scuffed onyx sortilege :sleeping-yellow: BUT Consumer Rights too)

A

Anonymous

Thanks big blue. I've sent you a PM as this goes a little off he topic of extended warranties from Peugeot, but I want to know more.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi mk_83,

I think I've managed to PM you so let me know if you get it

.the big blue (its not easy running my surgery sat on the solid wood back benches at the rear of the chamber ,,crying over my scuffed onyx sortilege STILL) ! :police:

A

Anonymous

Apparantly the "extended warranty" does not cover the sat nav system according to my local dealer.
I am currently in the process of having my NG4 system replaced under the original warranty, which expires in a months time.
The service manager at my local dealers said that I was lucky it developed a fault now as the extended warranty that I am going to purchase would not of covered the NG4 media system. :eusa-think:

As for the timeing chain tensioners, then my guess is that it would be covered, depending on the mileage of the car, as this could possibly be put down to "consumable parts", by the warranty company, again depending on what the milage was when the extended warranty was taken out and what it was when the fault occured.

I'm just thinking that this type of fault9 timing chain tensioner) could be a grey area/loop hole in the eyes of the warranty company :eusa-think:

I might be wrong, but perhaps an extended warranty offers less cover than an original warranty that is given by the manufacturer.
For instance it wont cover the sat nav system, which is obviously not a consumable part, yet a timimg chain tensioner, could be argued is a changeable/ consumble part that will/could wear with time and mileage.

A

Anonymous

Just took out the extended warranty with Peugeot £219 for 12 months.
The service manager at my ocal dealership has now had a bit of a rethink and reckons the extended warranty covers just as much as the original warranty.
It wont cover diagnostics though unless a "warranted fault" is found, which is a bit confusing because if you feel something is wrong, then it has to be diagnosed to find the fault :crazy:

I'm still waiting for the paperwork to arrive, so it will be a case of having a good read through the small print. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

That's a really good price. I'll definitely extend mine at the end of 3 years as I'm running mine for 48 months.

A

Anonymous

I have also done this. Interestingly enough, it says it covers the cost of sat Nav/entertainment unit in the policy summary so assume this would include the whole NG4 unit;

The detailed document when the policy comes through is good. It basically says everything is covered except;

It even says the clutch is covered (apart from 'failure due to warn or burnt out clutches') which is a good surprise. The MOT cover looks good as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Had the paperwork come through offering me this option. Really not sure what to do. Money is not plentiful at the moment, Pearl2 being a HDi has been faultless and she is now only used on high days and holidays.

Any thoughts peeps?

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Id say its better to have it and not need it :) I still have two years on my extended warranty. (It came with the car) but I probably wont renew as Ive changed most things that are covered :lol:

A

Anonymous

Its already been a godsend for me getting a completely new NG4 unit.

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
So was the NG4 definitely covered by this Platinum extended warranty? Or did they do it as a goodwill gesture?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Figo said:
So was the NG4 definitely covered by this Platinum extended warranty? Or did they do it as a goodwill gesture?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
it was covered under sudden and unexpected electronic fault.

It was paid for by the warranty company

Sent from my Xperia Z1

A

Anonymous

If it's just over £200 I think I'd buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

CatherineF said:
If it's just over £200 I think I'd buy it.

It's £269.90 or £299.80 with a years assistance (AA cover)

A

Anonymous

Now here's a question. Has anyone.renewed their Peugeot Assistance, if so how much was it?