What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Extended Waranty your thoughts

A

Anonymous

Hi, i'm coming up on my car being 3 years old in the Autumn and was toying with the idea of taking out an extended warranty.
What is the best out there? What have you guy's chosen and what experience did you have when bringing it into play. What price do they go for and time span?
Thanks for any input you have

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Mine is three this autumn also. I intent to extend the warranty, and will probably just go for the Pug extended warranty via my dealer, but if anyone has any other ideas........ :eusa-think:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' Thackers & all :greetings-wavingblue:

Im still here sat quietly on the Back Benches waving my hand in support of the RCZ.
As for warranty's or rather MBI's = MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN INSURANCE policies as they are more correctly termed in the small print. What you actually purchase is an insurance policy that states what components are covered in the event of failure and not as many assume a general cover against all eventualities of a mechanical/electrical component failure similar to when "goods" are purchased new.

When purchasing any Mechanical Breakdown Insurance aka warranty it's important to check what components are covered by it, what excess you are required to pay (that directly affects the initial cost of the warranty) and whether wear & tear is covered which is something that not all policies cover !

For me personally I've used "WARRANTY DIRECT" :thumbup: not to be confused with (Warranty Wise) and have found them to be very good. Firstly they liaise directly with the (Peugeot) dealer and make payment direct to them all via an industry protocol system thus avoiding the customer in the middle doing all the interaction then having to claim costs back having paid up front. AND wear and tear is covered ! The latter being an aspect that many providers specifically exclude in their small print :!: An example being my five year old coil pack failure that the Pug dealer had said that the Peugeot Warranty would not cover as such items do in time wear out and require replacement and my Z' was then 5 years old. However I asked them to contact 'Warranty Direct' thinking they too will echo what the dealer had said BUT without question they authorised the repair as the component was covered under the wear and tear clause much to the dealers surprise :shock:

Also the Extended Warranty sold by Peugeot is not actually issued by Peugeot I think I recall. Get a quote from whoever you choose and prior to purchase inspect the terms and conditions to see what the policy covers :eusa-think: Sorry to bore :sleeping-yellow:

.the big blue :ugeek:

TAC

Reaction score
Thanks the big blue saved to my favorites :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
There is another thread on here that I posted this on.

It's Peugeot's but not a full warranty.
I've just extended mine for my HDi RCZ.
It's a mechanical and electrical warranty ie no bodywork or trim eg seat is not covered but movement or electrics are.
This is also the type of warranty by most other suppliers.

But £279 for Peugeot extended warranty plus £20 for AA cover (inc europe) plus £20 to upgrade AA cover for non car related faults eg punctures, keys etc.

If anyone has the standard AA cover then it's worth £20 IMHO for peace of mind that punctures are covered otherwise it's £120 per call out.
Standard cover can be upgraded just call the breakdown number and go through to customer services.

viewtopic.php?t=10223

A

Anonymous

The pug warranty does not cover the clutch for wear & tear (friction material). DMF should be covered if it had failed.
I know from experience if your clutch does go, usually also a good time to change the dpf. Both probably wouldn't be covered under warranty if that were to happen. Expensive job at the dealers. Around up to half the price using an trusted independent garage, using a OEM clutch & dmf kit.
I once had an AA gold warranty with a bolt on DPF cover, which is unusual. Not many warranties now cover the dpf. Not that my current petrol RCZ has one. I'm also thinking about buying the extended pug warranty, wont be until April next year. The pug warranty for what it is, seems quite good. Compared to others.
Thing is with warranties your paying in advance for something that may or may not happen. Other option, put the cash into the bank. Use a good independent garage if something were to go wrong. If it doesn't, your £'s up :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
Boroboy said:
The pug warranty does not cover the clutch for wear & tear (friction material).

Don't think any warranty covers wear and tear! But should cover things that should not wear but do (eg timing chains).

A

Anonymous

:p
tianorth said:
Boroboy said:
The pug warranty does not cover the clutch for wear & tear (friction material).

Don't think any warranty covers wear and tear! But should cover things that should not wear but do (eg timing chains).
Bonus if it covers the timing chain.
Most warranties don't cover the clutch for wear & tear.
I did have one that did a little while ago. Bought an Astra H from Sherwoods a local main dealer chain to me. They gave me an extended warranty that actually covered the clutch & brakes, including disc's and pads. Had a clutch replaced from them for free under their warranty. Was a traditional clutch kit, without a dmf. I still think their extended warranties covers clutches, but not the brake pads now. The warranty was given to me in with the price of the car. Now it's an extra £250, on top of your used cars negotiate price. Which is still a decent warranty for the money.
Within the AA's Gold warranty terms and conditions it states that clutch friction material not included. However it also states if your car has covered under 60k any claim will not be discluded due to wear & tear or something similar to that. A bit of a contradiction though lol.
All in the small print, I suppose.
I'd stay well away from an RAC warranty. From what I've read they're poor to say the least. Try anyway to get out of a warranty claim. Blame it on wear & tear, even if it's s faulty gearbox.

A

Anonymous

I have Peugeot Platinum warranty which covers majority of major items (clearly not wear n tear stuff like brakes etc) EXCEPT mountings (including suspension/engine mounts which can be clunky even at low miles... as I have just found out...).

http://www.servicing.peugeot.co.uk/peugeot-warranty/

£282 can pay by monthly instalments at no extra cost

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9729

Policy document - https://peugeot.motor-admin.com/documen ... cument.pdf

Read Page 10 & 11 carefully before deciding if it's right for you

DKZ5745

Reaction score
mistral_blue said:
I have Peugeot Platinum warranty which covers majority of major items (clearly not wear n tear stuff like brakes etc) EXCEPT mountings (including suspension/engine mounts which can be clunky even at low miles... as I have just found out...).

http://www.servicing.peugeot.co.uk/peugeot-warranty/

£282 can pay by monthly instalments at no extra cost

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9729

Policy document - https://peugeot.motor-admin.com/documen ... cument.pdf

Read Page 10 & 11 carefully before deciding if it's right for you

Slight confusion on the eligibility requirements. On the first link it says under 3 years old & less than 60k mileage. On the second link, it says under 5 years old (for platinum) & less than 80k. :crazy:

Mine is ok either way but only just under the 3 years. I better decide quickly if I want to go down that route. :eusa-think:

Sanity

Reaction score
My insurance here in Sweden is 8 years and/or 120 000km for drivetrain. must have when owning a pug :eusa-whistle: :lol:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all' :greetings-wavingblue:

...dont be taken in by the large print as with all Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) policies 'the devil is in the detail' which means the small print ! :twisted:

When for instance certain mechanical parts are covered somewhere it will be stated what component of that part is covered, i.e when it says "clutch" it often will state in the small print "clutch thrust bearing" failure ,,NOT the friction material of a worn out clutch !

Sometimes/ often the MBI covers only "complete" sudden failure/ breakdown of the mechanical component concerned meaning for example that a noisy camchain is not covered and owners are then advised that the onus is on them to have the necessary component repaired as the MBI only covers sudden failure/breakdown of the component AND now that it is established that the component requires attention they will not entertain a claim further down the line if not rectified ! :eek:

Its important to remember that MBI's are not to be confused with the initial "Manufacturers Warranty" that is given when purchasing a new car, even when you purchase the "MBI" from the Main Dealer when the initial "Manufacturers Warranty" given with a brand new vehicle expires. The MBI that you 'purchase' from the Main Dealer is not usually administered by the Manufacturer anyway and is simply an MBI underwritten by a third party. The onus is on the purchaser to know what they are purchasing AND do not blindly accept what the 'sales person' is telling you as these products are sold on a commission basis which is where the Dealer makes their money. Ask to see the policy document and read what components are covered in the the terms and conditions so that you are fully aware of what you are actually buying :roll:

.the Big Blue ,,,& once again SORRY TO BORE !! :sleeping-yellow: but my passion with such matters is linked to a former career. ,,,,,after dinner speeches are available upon request ! :beer:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' thackers and all :greetings-wavingblue:

I believe the 'renewal warranty' sold by Peugeot is administered by "Car Care Plan Ltd" from what is shown in the documents shown in this thread. Car Care Plan Ltd are a wholly who separate company based in Yorkshire and are in fact not part of Peugeot and they simply sell their products through various car manufactures as do most such companies :clap: Hence these "Insurance Policies" are not akin to the initial "Warranty" provided when vehicles are sold new by Peugeot OR any other manufacturer in which the warranty is directly connected to the manufacturer :eek:

Google/ search the company and maybe even contact them direct as such "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" companies to use their correct name often sell their products direct. See what they offer and remember the devil is in the detail AND hence the product being sold by Peugeot is not actually theirs and you are just purchasing an "Insurance Policy" from them as a 'third party' !

I just hate it when you are sold a product which is not that which you actually believed you was buying (hence small print) and this is aided by Manufacturers simply putting their corporate logo on something to create this misleading illusion. :shock:

I am NOT saying the Peugeot extended warranty is bad in any way ! ,,BUT that it is not necessarily that which individuals may be led into thinking when it it wrapped up in a commission based transaction. :!:

.the big blue :beer: ,,,after dinner speeches still available for fellow anoraks :sleeping-yellow: