What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Explosives onboard

VASS

Reaction score
did you know we have 2 explosives on board (not the airbags)

each side of the bonnet is an explosive, this blows the bonnet up in an accident so as not to decapitate the driver apparently

pop the bonnet and you will find one each side, a tubular upright thing with "explosive" written on it.

A

Anonymous

Yep, it's in the Handbook.

I don't tend to linger around that area though and only do a "light dusting" there if I have to.

As a fully paid up Member of the Self Preservation Society, I am pleased that the Bonnet will blow itself off and not take my head with it at the same time.

With any luck, it'll take out the Numpty that has crashed in to me.

A

Anonymous

I could be totally wrong but I thought the explosive action was to protect a pedestrian, not the numpty who hit them! If my understanding is correct, the bonnet pops up away from the unfortunate person otherwise destined to become a 'hood ornament', as our American cousins like to say, in order to lessen the effect of being hit. I'm not sure that it actually parts company from the car. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

BangorRCZ said:
I could be totally wrong but I thought the explosive action was to protect a pedestrian, not the numpty who hit them! If my understanding is correct, the bonnet pops up away from the unfortunate person otherwise destined to become a 'hood ornament', as our American cousins like to say, in order to lessen the effect of being hit. I'm not sure that it actually parts company from the car. :eusa-think:

That's what I understood - it allows the line of the bonnet to be lower than crash test regulations would normally allow because, in the accident, the bonnet is raised.

I believe that it's to do with the distance between the bonnet (comparatively soft) and the engine (hard).

A

Anonymous

Yup it's a pedestrian protection feature. If the car detects impact with a squishy pedestrian, the bonnet is pushed up to create a decent gap between the deformable metal of the bonnet and the rock solid engine components underneath. This way, the bonnet will absorb all (or most) of the impact rather than the poor sod being bounced off the engine block. :geek:

A

Anonymous

This car is getting even better.

I could do with pyrotechnic..ing (?!) a Pedestrian off my Bonnet.

"Yes, he was fine Officer, when the initial collison occured- then my bonnet flung him 200ft in the air !!"

If only.