What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Temperature Sensor ,,we love you NOT

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all :greetings-wavingblue:

As some of you will know, I am a self imposed Forum back bencher of many many many words if you have ever looked at any of my posts ! :sleeping-yellow:

However, today that is not going to be the case. :eusa-whistle:

All I'm going to say is that today having started my Z' after less than a minute AND before I had even moved, an engine temp warning message appeared in the dash display, the engine fan rotated as fast as a helicopter rotor at take off, the temp guage needle shot up to the red and then immediately fell back, I then switched the engine off and then listened to the frantic sound of the engine cooling fan till it eventually stopped. I then started the car again and all was fine :eusa-think: ,,,allegedly I heard someone whisper !

.the big blue (...if I could have a penny for all your thoughts I'd have enough to pay Peugeot to plug in their diagnostic machine just to tell me what WE ALL ALREADY KNOW ! :clap:

Tomas_90

Reaction score
It's a bit of an unnecessary fault that damn sensor..... Responsible for a lot of bad rep for the RCZ....

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' Tomas_90 :greetings-wavingblue:

..you're sure right about that, and what's worse is that every time any of the annoying faults occur I think back to my many years of fault free Celica ownership AND also wonder whether the Scirocco has a list of known common faults! I know I shouldn't allow myself such indulgent thoughts but I can't help it at times. Style wise the Z' is beyond reproach even if the engine is NOT !

.the big blue (...now off to read some of the many Temp Sensor posts in the Forum archives) :helpme:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Rest assured big blue, it's easily resolved. Mine has had this fault and was resolved in a day, under warranty.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi RCZ1 :greetings-wavingblue:
...in which case I hope mine will be resolved as easily and swiftly as yours via warranty albeit a third party one which to date has been very good with the various faults my Z' has encountered. Its running ok now BUT we all know that once it reveals itself once its likely to creep back when you least want it too and spin the engine cooling fan as a sign of I Tried To Warn You!

.the big blue (..hoping that my dealer is as efficient as yours AND doesn't attempt to abuse my Z' by washing it again) :eek:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Mine had opposite symptoms to yours. I never got a warning message, my temperature needle never went into the red (it was running under temperature), but I did get the fan going like it was about to take off.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' all :greetings-wavingblue:

I phoned the Peugeot dealer today and told them about the dreaded symptoms and was advised that they would have to run the usual £50 plus diagnostics initially to identify the fault and so its booked in for that. The service dept was aware of the temp sensor faults of Z's and I mentioned the various temp sensor fixes/ modifications stated by 'RCZ Performance' in an informative Forum post :thumbup:

My Z' has already had a £500 plus bill to rectify an "oil weep" around the engine temp sensor BUT alas the sensor was not changed then due to it not having revealed its inherent sleeping fault at that time.

.the big blue (..maybe the Sensor is just throwing a hissy fit due to me taking the partners ,,my ex Celica out the other day ,,fret not my Z' for you know I'm smitten for the womanly curve of your rear windscreen so calm that fan !!) :oops:

A

Anonymous

Big blue, I just love your posts!! You are awesome!! I'm glad that it's going to be resolved. As RCZ1 says, it's a relatively easy fix. It's a pain that you have to pay for the diagnostics (always feel that 50 bucks is a little steep for plugging in a machine and reading the readout). However, I would expect it to be repaired free of cost as it is a recognised fault. Keep us posted...probably best to keep your treachery hidden from the RCZ.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' mrizzle :greetings-wavingblue:

...as for you mentioning the word "FREE" as in repair in your most gracious Front Bencher reply ,,I fear that the only thing Free in respect of the main dealer is the allegedly 'free coffee' that is factored into their £92 per hour labour charge OR the 'free car wash' which dare I say it ,,Sponge and Chamois that I request they save for the next unsuspecting customer. :lol:

...i hope using the words grit ridden "SPONGE" and cardboard "CHAMOIS" hasn't offended RCZ1 and the other Master Detailers as much as it offended me when I saw my car had been externally abused with said items having had its innards tinkled with under warranty.

Dolphin Blue Z' i love the curves of your rear I really do ,,BUT is it really 'treachery' to sometimes think of the ex (Celica) and the times we shared and occasionally get inside and take her for a ride?? :eek: (let the Forum be my judge & jury)

.the big blue (...the relationship a man has with his car's is not one I would condone with a partner I WISH TO ADD !) :!:

Bigleigh

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your sensor fault the big blue, but when mine went in for that repair the Peugeot garage said there was a recall for that fault anyway! So maybe start with that approach when you take your car in?

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' Bigleigh :greetings-wavingblue:

Cheers for that, and that will be the gentle tone that I will arm myself with ,,especially as the service advisor I spoke with when booking the car in was already aware of this issue in regard to RCZ's !! :eusa-whistle:

.the big blue ( ..hoping that on this occasion the coffee will truly be FREE or pretty close to it !) :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi the big blue,

Just to let you know that 'my' Peugeot main dealer replaced this sensor FOC last month on my out-of-peugeot-warranty THP 200. Car was in for a service that day and I asked about this fault that I had begun to suffer.
I printed out RCZPerformance' forum post of the current fix and also another members link to a YouTube video of this fault - told them I was having the same issue and I had a call from the dealer while it was in saying they were replacing the sensor as a gesture of goodwill!!!

Definitely worth gathering the evidence from this wonderful forum and taking it in with you!

Stuart

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' stuartrayner & all :greetings-wavingblue:

...well the diagnostics (£54) confirmed the known 'engine temp sensor' fault ! I was advised that the rectification i.e fitting of the replacement sensor would be around £150. The dealer was aware of the sensor issues and had replaced two others in the past.

Peugeot Customer Services were contacted and they advised the dealer that they would not assist with the costs ! :shock:

I have then contacted Customer Services and explained in depth all that we Forum members know about this " component and its two revised variants ,,as well as my dealer service history and previous issues with engine temperature and warranty work in respect of it.
I was asked what my expectations were AND stated that this faulty component would be replaced for the revised variant without me suffering the cost as per the many others that had been replaced on Z's ,,some of which via recall ! My details were taken and once 'customer services' have processed my enquiry within three working days I will be contacted and advised as to the resolution.

I hope that the Manufacturer does the right thing as a vehicles worth is only as good as the manufacturers commitment to it!

.the big blue (..now officially a member of the damn ENGINE TEMPERATURE SENSOR non-appreciation society !) :text-welcomewave:

the big blue

Reaction score
Cheers Bigleigh :greetings-wavingblue:

I should be advised on Mon by Peugeot Customer Services and fingers crossed EVEN THOUGH it shouldn't be a case of the latter for such a documented fault ! Hopefully next week I will update this post with a "smile" and NOT a Back Bencher rant against Peugeot !

.the big blue (...Engine Temperature Sensor, ,,"AT THE MOMENT" I officially have the the £54 + £155 tee shirt ! :beer:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all, :greetings-wavingblue:

..this back bencher would like to Chamber to stand as it pleases me to announce that I have received a communication from 'Peugeot Customer Services' informing me that I am to be re-imbursed the full cost in respect of the diagnostic and replacement of what we all knew to be a faulty Z' "ENGINE TEMPERATURE SENSOR". :clap:

COMRADES, this proves the power of the Forum ,,had I not armed myself with the invaluable knowledge that we share and freely disseminate in the various Forum posts I most likely would NOT have been reimbursed in that initially the dealer acting on my behalf with Customer Services had liability for the faulty sensor 'declined' ! :eek:

BUT now its fixed at ZERO cost to myself other than the initial fears and tears ,,and so now I wanna party like its "1999" ..well it is the Prince engine isn't it ?? :crazy:

.the big blue (..we have a duty to ALL members to keep OUR Forum both vibrant and informative in a tribute to RCZ itself ,,,now who wants to dance with "the big blue" and YES before you ask ..it's the re-imbursed £200+ bulging in my pocket !) :shock: :dance:

A

Anonymous

Fantastic news, glad they did the right thing! Just a shame they had to be dragged to the conclusion you'd already come to

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi stevebasshead and thanx ,,and I hear what you say. :greetings-wavingblue:

..I hope you don't mind me saying "what an unusual name you have" ,,they call me 'BIG' and did you want to dance like its 1999 ?? :lol:

.the big blue (..and don't any of you think that a dance will get your hands on this back benchers £200+ as I can sense a pick pocket as i've dealt with "Customer Services"! ..JOKE, as they were extremely efficient dealing with my issue) :thumbup: