What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine sound

NF7

Reaction score
Does this engine sound right? Its a cold start, no errors, no rough idling apart from first 15 seconds when the rpm in 900-1000. To me it does not sound alright.

The only “issue” I have is hard to explain. When cold and normally accelerating and changing gears 1-2-3 (higher no) there is a sound, like an exhaust leak (its not) but it stops when the engine gets higher than 70 C. Almost like secondary explosions in the engine (although the sound comes from the back of the car - and I believe the misfiring error would come up).

Link to the sound: VIDEO (ignore the dirty engine).

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
You can have a misfire without any codes its possible you may be hearing a popping sound as fuel is being ignited after combustion in the exhaust pre or after cat it may be due to plugs coil packs or over fueling due to a lambda sensor issue it can also occur when your slowing down or deaccelerating so can sound like a pop pop pop ?

NF7

Reaction score
You can have a misfire without any codes its possible you may be hearing a popping sound as fuel is being ignited after combustion in the exhaust pre or after cat it may be due to plugs coil packs or over fueling due to a lambda sensor issue it can also occur when your slowing down or deaccelerating so can sound like a pop pop pop ?
This pop pop pop only occurs when accelerating and only when you step off the gas and change gears. If you decelerate and change gear, there is no such sound. I will replace the spark plugs and ignition coils next service (in three months) and check the lambda sensor.

Pedro

Reaction score
This pop pop pop only occurs when accelerating and only when you step off the gas and change gears. If you decelerate and change gear, there is no such sound. I will replace the spark plugs and ignition coils next service (in three months) and check the lambda sensor.
You can clean the Lambda sensors with EGR cleaner if the one before the cat is sooty it may mean the engine could be running too rich aka Misfire & popping so take out the pre cat sensor & check condition also if possible take out after cat sensor & check if relatively clean also check the Map & Maf sensors as these can alter the mixture control if dirty as the ECU can't correlate correct fuel air ratio from the data sent by those 2 if they are not performing properly it is not uncommon for owners or dealers to clean these on a regular basis say every 35.000Klm during service intervals