What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine sound system removal

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

My rcz asphalt has the sound system membrane thing onboard which artificially amplifies the engine sound.

I want to remove the system because it's resonant at highway speed and next month my exhaust will be changed.

Does anybody know how to remove the system safely. I can disconnect the hose from the cabin

Thanks!

XeviouS

Reaction score
Conversely, if anyone knows how to modify the sound system to make it louder...I'd love to know how! :D

Abzynthe

Reaction score
XeviouS said:
Conversely, if anyone knows how to modify the sound system to make it louder...I'd love to know how! :D
You could try and remove the diaphram so its constant.

RCZ performance removed his, so maybe he can help :)

A

Anonymous

Is it not the vibration of the diaphragm that creates the noise? Air is sucked past one side causing a pressure difference, the diaphragm bends then flaps back the other way as it reaches its maximum elasticity and this process repeats and the flapping creates the noise we hear inside the car. {Edit: I've just read the info on the 3rd picture posted above and that is indeed exactly what it does}

I think removing the diaphragm will only let you hear the air rushing to the turbo, and likely adversely affecting the turbos performance as it'll be sucking air from the resonator pipes as well as the air intake.

I think I remember reading about there being foam bungs in the resonator pipes. If my memory is indeed right then perhaps removal of the bungs would increase the noise.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
stevebasshead said:
I think I remember reading about there being foam bungs in the resonator pipes. If my memory is indeed right then perhaps removal of the bungs would increase the noise.

sounds interesting. Will have a look into it on my R this weekend. The R already has a quite roarty sound but a bit more of it wont hurt :cool:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
stevebasshead said:
Is it not the vibration of the diaphragm that creates the noise? Air is sucked past one side causing a pressure difference, the diaphragm bends then flaps back the other way as it reaches its maximum elasticity and this process repeats and the flapping creates the noise we hear inside the car. {Edit: I've just read the info on the 3rd picture posted above and that is indeed exactly what it does}

I think removing the diaphragm will only let you hear the air rushing to the turbo, and likely adversely affecting the turbos performance as it'll be sucking air from the resonator pipes as well as the air intake.

That makes sense. I think I was thinking it worked like a one way valve.

thornebt

Reaction score
I've never heard of this system before. Was it only fitted to particular models or was it an optional extra?

A

Anonymous

thornebt said:
I've never heard of this system before. Was it only fitted to particular models or was it an optional extra?

In the netherlands all 200's.
Seems that i'm the only one who wants to get rid of the system :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Lkooman said:
thornebt said:

In the netherlands all 200's.
Seems that i'm the only one who wants to get rid of the system :eusa-think:
Perhaps packing the resonator pipes with more foam will reduce the sound or eliminate it. Use closed cell foam not open cell, open cell allows air to pass through and therefore carries more sound.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
XeviouS said:

If you have any success with that, ExviouS, don't forget to post the results & method on here, I'm sure there will be many that would also like to do this :!:

A

Anonymous

Because it seems that everybody whants more sound i decided to take a look in the pipes. I removed the pipes from the membrane and there aren't any restrictions in both pipes. I think you nee to change the membrane.

Edit: there's a splitter in the inlet pipe, see last picture. I removed it and give it a try. Don't think this gives a better sound...

Friday i changed my filter to a pipercross inlet filter and i my opinion it sounds better/louder than K&N.

A

Anonymous

Great post, thanks.

Something I didn't pick up on from your original posting, you say yours is resonating at highway speed. This is odd as I only hear mine when I accelerate, I never hear it otherwise. I guess the question should be, are you absolutely certain your noise is coming from here?

A

Anonymous

I've been out for a test drive and there's a sligt decrease in sound with removed splitter.....

stevebasshead said:
Great post, thanks.
Something I didn't pick up on from your original posting, you say yours is resonating at highway speed. This is odd as I only hear mine when I accelerate, I never hear it otherwise. I guess the question should be, are you absolutely certain your noise is coming from here?

I removed the sound pipe and the resonating at highway speed is gone, it isn't very loud but its annoying. At the moment i'm driving without connect 3d system because it's back to peugeot for the 3th time, so i've time to listen to all strange sounds :wtf:

asphalt

Reaction score
My asphalt has the same issue, resonating noise at highway speed. Not when accelerating.
I will check your solution.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
@Lkooman
Are you happy with the pipercross?
Considering it on my R...

The exhaust got already way louder than at the beginning. But I'd like a little bit more sound :)

A

Anonymous

RCZ-R said:
@Lkooman
Are you happy with the pipercross?
Considering it on my R...

The exhaust got already way louder than at the beginning. But I'd like a little bit more sound :)

I really like the pipercross, the intake sound is better than K&N and it feels like the car is a bit more responsive. This can also be caused by the increased sound.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Thanks!

Mine arrived today. Will put it in my R this weekend and give some feedback.

Attachments

• 91831423817884930.jpg
    91831423817884930.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 22,175

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
So can any of the 200 owners tell me where this pipe steals the noise from?
Or even put a picture how is this connected?
You put me in some thoughts...