What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine rattle (timing chain) 2012 Asphalt

A

Anonymous

I'll spare everyone the details about the infamous timing chain/tensioner on the mk1 RCZs.

Having just picked up my 2012 Asphalt over the weekend I've noticed it does seem loud - like a diesel - for 30 seconds on start up and settles at 1200 revs and then settles down. Driving around I have no problems and no engine light on the dashboard (yet).

After having a look around the forums I'm not sure if I'm worrying too much or whether I should be going back to the dealers to ask whether it's covered under warranty. As it's a well known problem, coupled with the fact that the chain/tensioners are replaced with a modified part, this should be a simple open and shut case as there is evidence on the forums here of Peugeot admitting to it being a poor part.

As I've had no problems come of it yet it's more a case of me nipping it in the bud before problems arise further ahead. Thoughts anyone?

Joshua

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There re quite a few threads on here that cover this exact problem.

I think a trip back to the dealer is the best advice. If you are not getting an engine management warning it's presumably not serious enough yet to worry unduly, but as it is a very well known issue, with a modified part being issued by Peugeot, I think the dealer will sort it once you point it out, backing it up with a reference to this forum if he is at all dubious.

renegade79

Reaction score
Check YouTube for videos of thp engine start up's. If it sounds similar to yours then it's back to the dealer for you!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, bought mine from an independent dealer a couple of years ago within a couple of weeks of ownership with only 17k on the clock I noticed the cold start up rattle.
Although my car had full service history because it was done independently of Peogeot they wouldn't honor the repair. Luckily for me the dealer I bought it from due to the trading laws had to stump up the cash to get it sorted they weren't happy though ;)
It's somthing that you really shouldn't leave to get worse as a slack timing chain could do some serious damage to your motor.
If your still in any kind of warranty get it back to the dealers to sort, it's not going to go away on its own! :roll:

Good luck hope you get it sorted. :beer:

A

Anonymous

UPDATE: I've just spoken to the Renault dealer in Bolton where I purchased the car from. They've actually been really helpful so far and are going to get in contact with Peugeot themselves and have asked me to give them a try too. From what they've told me, regardless of age and/or warranty I would be able to get it done at no extra cost as the timing chain is a recall/modified part.

We both agreed that even though it's not a major problem and hasn't caused me any grief yet, it's better to get to the bottom of it now rather than have the engine light and limp mode fiasco later on. Sounds positive at the moment! Will give updates as and when.