What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine rattle on RCZ200THP.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,
mentioned this a few weeks back but not on technical discussions,so may have been missed.
My 200THP from new has had a horrid ticky come tappety noise from cold,lasts for a few minutes on idle,then disappears,i have taken it back to my dealer for a warranty check,they confirmed the noise but stated it was common on both 156/200.
what is your opinion on this :eusa-think: :eusa-think:not convinced myself but im no expert,i will add the engine uses no oil and after 7.5k i have just topped up.
I did mention to the service manager all Peugeot need to do is fit a suitable cat-back exhaust to mask the annoying rattle but sadly fell on deaf years :police:
Any feedback would be fab,could then pass it onto my dealer.

A

Anonymous

It's so annoying lasts no more than a few mins,i listened to the demo 156 it had and no rattle in the least.

A

Anonymous

I have the 156 and to be perfectly honest i dont think its the quietest engine in the world, my son, who's bedroom is above the drive has commented a few times on how tappety it sounds when i start it up in the mornings.

When i've listened to it i feel that the noise is lower down than the tappets, but as you say it's not there for long ?

I've never had a Peugeot and being a new car to me i was wandering if this is how the RCZ sounds ? I had a VW Scirroco some years ago and that was a tappety car, with engine cold or hot !

FGRob

Reaction score
Yes I get it first thing, I think you will find it's a temperature related rattle, the colder it is the longer it takes for it to go off. I hear it when I leave the house as I go down a narrow high walled lane, by the time I'm at the bottom it's gone.

I tend to keep the revs down until it's warmed a little, it's either oil not getting around fast enough to the tappets or the tappets themselves are set loose, but when stone cold the gaps are even bigger than normal hence the rattle.

Bring back solid lifter - much better.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,it appears im not alone,the dealer did mention if noise persists they would change oil as first point of call,i do agree the noise appeared worse during the cold spell hence reason i took it back in March,but its so annoying as sometimes i start from cold and all is well,but today back to its tappety self.

A

Anonymous

My 200 THP rattles when its cold. It still rattles when its warm too but not as bad. When I first heard it I wondered if they'd given me a Diesel by mistake :lol: . I mentioned it to my dealer during the first service and they assured me its quite normal for this engine.

FGRob

Reaction score
jactac said:
Rob,
is it anything to worry over ?
No not really, it's just a quirk of the engine, I've done nearly 13000 miles plus had a oil change and it still does it every now and then. When it's fully warm it rattles a bit but I just put that down to the injectors.

Rob

A

Anonymous

I always find with "variable" timing engines that you get a bit of rattle. My old Rover K-Series was as quiet as a mouse. my Rover k-Series VVC... Noisey..

A

Anonymous

I do get a little smoke when the engine is cold and cold outside but that seems common on minis and the ds3 too so I don't let it bother me.

A

Anonymous

I guess temp might be the reason. It's winter here but still 22c in the day and around 8-10c in the morning. I get no rattling sound.

FGRob

Reaction score
ValleNorte said:
I guess temp might be the reason. It's winter here but still 22c in the day and around 8-10c in the morning. I get no rattling sound.
That's why I asked, our friend above is in Spain so I suspect his temps are better as well. 22C in winter if only :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

This is a common problem on the EP6 engine used in both BMW mini,peugeot and citroen's.

This fault lie's not with the injectors or oil, its down to the oil pump, it basically is controlled by the car's ecu, rather that constantly pumping oil around the engine, it varies due to engine speed and rev's, which in turn reduced engine load and makes it more efficient due to new EU laws on emissions etc etc.

The cam and crack run off a chain driven belt rather than the common rubber cam-belt so needs to be supplied with oil, this oil runs into a tensioner which holds the belt tight and stops any rattling and keeps the chain lubricated correctly. BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroen are aware of the problem and have been fitting the higher tensioned tensioner, which would have been included on the RCZ since launch.

I'd say there was nothing to worry about, and like a lot of you have been saying it quiten's down after a good run for a few minutes. Its a lot worse from cold, but i would just put it down to the characteristic of the engine.

Hope this clears things up.

A

Anonymous

To quote from this weeks (issue 1169) long-term test update in Autoexpress...

"It's not only the RCZs ride that's taken a turn for the worse. Fire up the 1.6-litre turbo unit from cold, and you're greeted with an almost diesel-like clatter".

I don't disagree.

A

Anonymous

Yep - I too hear this rattle from cold, especially when I leave the multi story I park in after work. It's gone after about a few mins tho so I'm not going to worry about it..

A

Anonymous

This really does seem to be the "norm", so i guess just ignore it and just enjoy the rest of the car, or move to Spain. :p

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all you guys for the replies,especially PeugeotTech uk,cleared up my worry.