What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine oil level low

A

Anonymous

Had to top up engine oil this morn got message on display, so all turbo cars are sore on oil 5325 miles on clock and 10 months old so about same as my BMW 335i. Still can't complain that's all I've had to do except put petrol in it oils got bloody expensive thou :wtf:

A

Anonymous

I am getting close to 8000 miles on the clock, never had to top the oil up ever yet!

A

Anonymous

bradshaw said:
I am getting close to 8000 miles on the clock, never had to top the oil up ever yet!

Must confess that I haven't checked in quite a while...you've guilted me into doing it...right now!!

A

Anonymous

I bought 5L of the correct specification oil, when I bought the car, as from experience new diesel engines drink the stuff. However it and tthe 1L bottle that I carry around in the boot (emergency supply) remain unopened. My car has covered approx 21K miles (from memory) My only concern is, how long will my oil remain in good condition if not used?

A

Anonymous

Right I'm 6855 and am some way off needing to top up! :)

RON, my understanding is there isn't really an expiration date on oil whether opened or not. It will keep longer depending on how it is stored, e.g. the temperature it is stored at etc, because it's good for as long as the additives haven't started to settle at the bottom.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Right I'm 6855 and am some way off needing to top up! :)

RON, my understanding is there isn't really an expiration date on oil whether opened or not. It will keep longer depending on how it is stored, e.g. the temperature it is stored at etc, because it's good for as long as the additives haven't started to settle at the bottom.
My single skinned shed is probably not an ideal storage space for this liquid gold, due to the fluctuations in temrerature. come to that the boot probably aint any better

A

Anonymous

U shouldn't keep it anywhere frosty ie in the shed :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Concerning that its using oil with such low miles..Some cars use a wee bit more than others..keep an eye on it! :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:

Is storing it in the shed outside any different to your oil sat in the cold steel pressed sump, exposed to the extreme cold frosty chill. ?

A

Anonymous

czar said:
bigmac3161 said:

Is storing it in the shed outside any different to your oil sat in the cold steel pressed sump, exposed to the extreme cold frosty chill. ?
That is a damn good point czar :clap: Hadn't considered that. I was more thinking that it is a technologically advanced oil and may degrade over time?

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
I was more thinking that it is a technologically advanced oil and may degrade over time?

Those computer chips in it make it much more susceptible to degradation ;)

A

Anonymous

Bought my car in July 2011 with 8500 miles on the clock. Between then and my 2 year service carried out in June 2012 I had no oil level warnings. By this time there were 15438 miles on the clock.
At the end of October 2012 I had the first warning that the oil level was low and at this time the clock stood at 19330 miles. I bought 4L of Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil and topped up.
Again, yesterday I have the oil level warning to top up. I now have just over 23000 miles on the clock.
I find it strange that the car should go for a year without requiring a top up. Then after the service it seems to go every 4 months and around 4K and needs topping up.
Also, am I using the right oil............... :?:

A

Anonymous

Well it's the same 1 I'm using

Can't both be wrong

A

Anonymous

According to the drivers handbook, this is the engine oil designed especially for the RCZ. Incidently my HDi has done approx 22K miles and It has never used a drop of oil

A

Anonymous

Yea but they don't do total in gods own country and my engine would been cooked by the time it'd come of a eBay :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

As far as I can see the 5w 30 is listed as the correct oil, BUT 0w 40 is a better oil.
0w rating means it flows quicker at low temp and the 40 means it holds its structure better in use.

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
Yea but they don't do total in gods own country and my engine would been cooked by the time it'd come of a eBay :thumbup:
The stuff they recommend is 5W30 as opposed to 0W-40 that you are using. I haven't got a clue what the difference is, but it's enough that I wouldn't dare use it.

A

Anonymous

If topping up you should use the same grade as is already in the engine but if doing a complete oil change then it's possible to use a different grade. Some manufacturers specify a range of oil grades suitable for their engines. I don't know if that's so for the RCZ though, and as mine's on lease the oil I'll be using is whatever the dealer puts in during the service.

Sent from my hot tub using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

I think they put different oil in when they did the 2 year service.
Why would it go a year with no warnings.
Nothing else has changed. I drive the same way and the mileage is no different.