What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine noise?

A

Anonymous

My wife owns a 2014 rcz 156 sport with 30k on the clock, fpsh. Over the last few weeks I've noticed an intermittent knock/rattle type sound which seems to be coming from the top part of the engine area. It's intermittent at the moment. Sometimes, but not always from a cold start. At times sounds like a diesel. The rattle seems to change to a more knocking type sound, as the engine warms up. Then eventually disappears. I'm thinking possible timing chain/tensioner issue? Thought these were redesigned on the later models. I'm going to book it into the dealers, as it's still under warranty. No ecu light either.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It does sound suspiciously like the good old timing chain tensioner issue, but you are correct in thinking the modified parts were fitted from new on the mk2.

I suppose it's still possible for a part to fail, modified or not :eusa-think:

You will have to let us know what you main stealer says :wtf:

A

Anonymous

I've rung a couple of dealers up. Going in on Mon, theres an outstanding software update apparently relating to this issue on my car, without the ECU light coming on. Car only needs to be there for an hour. Worth a try.

A

Anonymous

Software update applied at dealers today. Will post back later to see how we have got on. Yet my local dealer (Simon Bailes), didn't inform me of any outstanding updates when I rung them first about the issue. Wasn't until I rung another branch up, that the update was mentioned. Even though the car is registered with the first mentioned dealer. Typical usual dealer service, no doubt. I rung dealer 1 back, to ask them why they didn't point the update out to me, as I was registered with them. Doubtful if I'll be using them again lol.

A

Anonymous

10 days on from software update. Still seems to rattle for a few minutes on start up. Not as bad though.
Think it'll be going back into the dealers again sometime in the future.
There must be an on going issue with the mk 2, 156's for this software patch to be applied.
Do all the 156's rattle from a cold start? At least my current dealer seems to want to help.

drdino

Reaction score
Did the dealer explain what was the source of the rattle, and how the alleged software update was supposed to fix it?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The only rattle I get in my car is at work at the moment. I'm picking her up later :eusa-shhh: :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

drdino said:
Did the dealer explain what was the source of the rattle, and how the alleged software update was supposed to fix it?
No. I asked for further info on the update. Just said to solve rattle issue lol. Sounds like the chain to me.

A

Anonymous

Just happened to me on the 1.6 THP 156 ,2013 with 13.5 k on clock .sounds like a diesel on start first thing in the morning
Goes off after a minute , has done it late afternoon after being stood for a few hours.
Three weeks left on warranty , went to Peugeot service today to book it in they say they've never heard of the problem before? Tried to explain what has been said on here and they seem adamant that it's not covered by the warranty .

So booked in for August 3rd and fingers crossed they see sense .

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Mcb2007 said:
Just happened to me on the 1.6 THP 156 ,2013 with 13.5 k on clock .sounds like a diesel on start first thing in the morning
Goes off after a minute , has done it late afternoon after being stood for a few hours.
Three weeks left on warranty , went to Peugeot service today to book it in they say they've never heard of the problem before? Tried to explain what has been said on here and they seem adamant that it's not covered by the warranty .

Hi, your dealer is totally fobbing you off! A Peugeot dealer never hearing of the death rattle on a RCZ??? What a load of rubbish! Dig your heels in this is covered under your warranty and needs sorting asap!

Let us know how you get on. :eusa-think:

tianorth

Reaction score
Take evidence from this forum with you, just so they can be informed.

Also others who have had the same can you post which dealership sorted it out so that the info can be passed to the dealerships that say don't know about this.

Wasn't this covered under a type of recall from within Peugeot?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter Ambrose in Castleford West Yorks sorted mine out of warranty for £550 very reasonable said they had done loads! Not a recall as I know.

A

Anonymous

neilgsxr69 said:
Mcb2007 said:

Hi, your dealer is totally fobbing you off! A Peugeot dealer never hearing of the death rattle on a RCZ??? What a load of rubbish! Dig your heels in this is covered under your warranty and needs sorting asap!

Let us know how you get on. :eusa-think:

I told them if no joy I would contact Peugeot HQ ,they said they would do all they can to help but seemed sure it was not covered by the warranty . At first told me it had expired anyway then I explained I took out an extra years warranty only to be told their warranty is not as good as the original and this wouldn't cover the fault anyway. But having a couple of weeks of the original left they will look at it .
Trouble is it's not rattling all the time on start up , I've tried recording it so they can listen to it if they are at all interested.

A

Anonymous

My car does exactly the same every morning. Sounds like a diesel, then a rattling, then after a couple of minutes it goes away....

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
When mine developed this problem I took it to my dealer although the engine was hot by then the technician lifted the bonnet and said he could hear the problem even though I thought it sounded ok! Full timing kit chain,tensioner and guides! Job done sorted.

If you listen to most engines with the bonnet up on cold start ups you will get a slightly diferent noise until the oil gets around the engine but a petrol engine should never sound like a diesel even for a short time!

Dealers know about this problem because there's a redesigned tensioner to sort the problem.

tianorth

Reaction score
If warranty is running out contact Peugeot customers services and get it logged with the warranty dept.
They may the get hold of your dealership and tell them how to check.

I spoke to

Jamie Parry
Peugeot warranty
Head office.

He might be still there!