What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine/motor oil for my 2011 Peugeot RCZ THP156 which has been optimized to 190hp/285nm

tomflek

Reaction score
So I have had my first ever RCZ now 6 days and kept checking out oils etc, oil seems to be black-greenish, it has been driven now little bit over 155000km and I found 1L bottle of this oil back in the car trunk: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/mobil/9025701 (oil and oil filter changes has been done since 5000km ago) so decided to put it all to engine since it was already screaming that ''top up engine oil'' and I read that car maintenance booklet recommends Synthetic 0W-30 but since car has been optimized to have more power, I assume that 5W-40 is better choice since I read that it actually cleans better that engine and runs better at cold temperatures, basically better engine oil for this car since it has been driven already over 155000km and it's 11 years old already, so I kept reading that 5W-40 does make older cars engine run longer and wear and tear keeps minimized. Also booklet recommends that LOW SAPS 5W-30, so now it has that 5W-40 added less that 1L and read that it's safe to mix up those 5W-30 and 5W-40 but I won't get the best benefits of those 2 oils when mixed, so it's just that.

But what you guys think? Should I actually instead drop the oils already out of the car and change the oils and to what then exactly, what oil would be the best which keeps engine healthy long time and minimizes the best that wear and tear of engine, just reminder, that I live in Finland so half year is below freezing temperatures and car has been optimized to 190hp/285nm.

Also found this site about the oils: What Type of Engine Oil for Peugeot Rcz 1st gen 2010-2012 and it actually says to put for all season 5W-50! So I assume that 5W-40 is good middle ground between LOW SAPS 5W-30 and 5W-50

Last edited:

Flanners

Reaction score
Given the temperatures in Finland and that the R uses Total 0w30, that would be a good bet; can't see much issue with a 5w30 or 5w40 either especially as higher mileage engine but why change from spec if not burning/using much oil?

Not good that the car indicating low oil, keep tabs on the level in your ownership

Whatever you do change the oil asap as I would not be relying on the previous keeper, their choice of oil or when it was last changed.......enjoy!

Pedro

Reaction score
Total Ineo Quartz ECS low saps 3 is the Peugeot benchmark for these engines depending on climate & mileage you are right using the 5w 30 semi synthetic being over the 100.000 Klm range

tomflek

Reaction score
Given the temperatures in Finland and that the R uses Total 0w30, that would be a good bet; can't see much issue with a 5w30 or 5w40 either especially as higher mileage engine but why change from spec if not burning/using much oil?

Not good that the car indicating low oil, keep tabs on the level in your ownership

Whatever you do change the oil asap as I would not be relying on the previous keeper, their choice of oil or when it was last changed.......enjoy!
Yeah, well I guess I just go ahead and drop the oils and change them + oil filter, and then add this oil: https://www.autodoc.fi/total/15229577 as I have understanded that it's the best and recommended by Peugeot and then see if it keeps using that oil too much but I have also understanded that these THP engines keeps using quite lot of oil, like 1L at 5000km, some engines more and some less, also depends how fast you drive + read also that synthetic oils tend to run out of faster. But thank you very much for responding!
Oh, I don't know what you know about this Autodoc, but when I entered my car register into it, it says my car is actually made 2010 while it says on car papers that it has been registered 2011??

Last edited:

tomflek

Reaction score
Total Ineo Quartz ECS low saps 3 is the Peugeot benchmark for these engines depending on climate & mileage you are right using the 5w 30 semi synthetic being over the 100.000 Klm range
I couldn't find that Total Ineo Quartz ECS low saps 3 from like Autodoc, but if I understand correctly, that my linked (https://www.autodoc.fi/total/15229577) Total oil 0W-30 is also fine for all seasons, since lower that number before W, oil runs better at cold temperatures.
''Low SAPS Oil is simply oil that has low levels of Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, and Sulphur. Each manufacturer will decide which SAPS level will be most effective for their engine and will choose an ACEA C rating, which you will find in your vehicle's handbook.''
Thanks for the respond!

Pedro

Reaction score
Ebay that's is where I get mine & if it was my car with your mileage I wouldn't put 0.30 in that engine but its your choice & Low saps codes relate to its efficiency at cleansing the internals of the engine

NF7

Reaction score
I have 0w30 in my engine and the valve stem seals and piston rings leak heavily. I'm losing 1L oil per 1,7k kilometers. 5w30 fully synthetic should be better, although my mechanic flat out told me, for the THP engine 5w40 and nothing else.

The car has 128.000 kilometers and will have an oil change in 14 days (going also for chain replacement and fixing valve stem seals and piston rings leaking). I'll put 5w40 inside (the lowest winter temps here are around -20C so still a nice way above the spec).