What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine management light drive drive.

EmmaChip

Reaction score
My partner and I purchased an RCZ yesterday, on the drive home the dreaded engine management light came on. Still drove okay, slight judder over 70mph before the light came on. And there was a slight smell from the engine once the light appeared. Hard to explain a bit oily maybe. There had been a fuel pump issue (what they thought was the fuel pump) previously but the previous owner replaced it and said the EML hadn’t come since so thought it was that.

This is my partners dream car and I’m gutted for her.

We got it at a price where we have quite a bit over to spend on it but I’d rather go to my local garage with known issues that he can tick off.

So far I’ve read the fuel line can split and timing chain can stretch (although no rattle noises).
Any other suggestions? Really keen to get it resolved so we can enjoy this car!

Pedro

Reaction score
You need to code read the ECU if you are losing power at 70 it may still be a fuel related problem (fuel rail pressure?) mine juddered on acceleration going up to 60 klm & I went through the whole fuel system before I caved in & changed the pump which is a generic fault on every model except diesels as for smells these engines can give off an oily whiff when they are at full temp & there may be oil residues around your engine

Goatz

Reaction score
My money is on the high pressure fuel pump. It’s a common fault and I had the same issue, engine light came on on the drive home after buying the car!!! Good news is that it is an easy fix. If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty you can solve it for £150 by sending it off for repair, but as Pedro says, you need to know the error codes first.
You can buy a code reader for cheap on eBay/amazon. It will be a good investment
P.s. it’s best not to drive the car right now, if it is the hpfp at some point the engine warning light could start flashing and this would mean you cat converter is being damaged.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Could also just be a coil pack, cheap fix but as Already said needs A code reader.
Sounds like the previous owner has had problems and got shut, ask them for receipts to prove a new HP fuel pump has been fitted and any other work they’ve had done.
Good luck hope you can get it sorted let us know how you get on.