What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Fault Warning - Turbo Coolant Pump?

SouthWestern

Reaction score
My daughter's 2010 RCZ came up the the "Engine Fault, Repair Needed" warning.
Taking it to her local independent, they found a couple of codes:
P2600 Peugeot Coolant Pump Control Circuit open
P2603 Peugeot Coolant Pump Control Circuit High

The garage checked that the pump was running, it was, and then cleared the codes.
However, the "Engine Fault, Repair Needed" warning was quickly back, and I guess the codes are back...but...
I have tried a couple of simple OBD readers, and they say no codes are stored. Is this to be expected?
Is there anything I should look at before handing it over to a garage?
Sounds like it might be a poor contact is some wiring, I thought I could look into that but so far haven't even found the pump!
Where is the pump and any suggestions what to look at for these codes?

Thanks!

misterx

Reaction score
Must admit I have become somewhat sceptical about the Engine Fault - Repair Needed warning. Over the past few years it has come on several times and often there is nothing found wrong.

I gave up taking the car in when they started charging to diagnose, and found that the warning light often goes off of its own accord after a few days. There is no rhyme or reason. If the warning is there when the car is at the garage for something else, I get them to check and clear it, Hardly ever is there actually any work needing to be done.

The risk with this strategy is one day it will be a genuine problem and I might make it worse by ignoriing but that is a chance that I am willing to take given the age and mileage of the car.

SouthWestern

Reaction score
Must admit I have become somewhat sceptical about the Engine Fault - Repair Needed warning. Over the past few years it has come on several times and often there is nothing found wrong.
misterx - that is the problem exactly. For predictable faults, this kind of warning system is fine. The faulty module is identified, the dealer changes it, job done. But many years of fault-finding (on computers) has taught me that faults are often not predictable; when things "go wrong" there is a clue in the name - things have gone wrong and that might also be the diagnostics system, or the power supply, or the wiring, or some gremlin that no-one ever thought of. i'll be checking that fuse (thanks frankvdb) shortly.

SouthWestern

Reaction score
I have the HDi but found your error code on a Dutch site.
In that case they only had to clean the fuse. It also explains where the pump is located.
frankvdb thanks! Had not found this post myself and it sounds very relevant; I was intending t clean all contacts but had not thought about the fuse. Sure enough, it was coated in some sort of varnish. I cleaned this off...
The warning is still there, but I don't know if this is stored because of a momentary error days ago, or if it means there is still a problem.
BTW I did find the pump. It was much smaller than I expected it and though I looked at that component several times yesterday - I didn't think that was the pump!
So I took the plug off and tried to clean those contacts...

SouthWestern

Reaction score
Now had the codes read at my local independent - they are usually very good.
Their reader also showed a P2603 - turbo coolant pump open circuit as a permanent fault.
So will probably get it in to have the pump changed.
Interesting though, I can hear the pump running after the ignition is switched off, it stops if I remove the 5A Fuse F21 (called: Fans control, Turbo pump (petrol), Valvetronic motor (1.6 l THP 200) ) so I think that proves the pump is running. Not sure how to know if it is running correctly though... it hums quite softly with a sort of ticking sound.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a manufacturer recall on early 2010 cars for the turbo cooling pump and a ecu update to do with this, they’re not actually recalling cars just picking up on it when dealers get them in for servicing. Check with your local pug dealer and see if your car is one affected as you’ll get the repair free of charge.

SouthWestern

Reaction score
There is a manufacturer recall on early 2010 cars for the turbo cooling pump and a ecu update to do with this, they’re not actually recalling cars just picking up on it when dealers get them in for servicing. Check with your local pug dealer and see if your car is one affected as you’ll get the repair free of charge.
Thanks, I found that reference earlier via a different post:, my daughter called her local dealer and they said the work has already been done.

sloweslowe

Reaction score

Hi Neil,

I've been getting the engine warning - repair needed on my 2010 RCZ for a little while now. Coolant leaking but car is working absolutely fine so i delayed getting it fixed. I've been quoted £621 to replace the coolant pump and remove/check the coolant system by Robbins and Day Nottingham. They're quoting the £621 but not even certain it'll fix the problem - just 90% sure!

Where did you go to get the repair free of charge? And is there anything official i can send them to argue my case?

Pedro

Reaction score
ECUs Historically store codes in their memory system they sit there but hardly ever appear or cause concern unless an Engine system fault is triggered which may prompt the ECUs memory to regenerate the "Stored codes" in conjunction with a new or existing persistent fault (ie component failure warnings) that could be why "Ghost codes" can appear for no reason relating to different sensor failures but only one specific fault is actually live at the time of the spike

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you actually losing coolant? It’s a common issue for the coolant level sensor to fail on early cars you could replace it or just unplug it like some have but you’ll need to keep a regular check on your level

SouthWestern

Reaction score
"Engine Fault, Repair Needed" warning.
...is back again. Once again, there are no codes stored according to the two OPBD-II readers that I have.
The turbo cooling pump was replaced back in early 2020 after my local independent read the codes:
P2600 Peugeot Coolant Pump Control Circuit open and P2603 Peugeot Coolant Pump Control Circuit High
I would really like to be able to read the codes myself, any advice on a code reader to buy?
My code reader/s worked on our Mercedes Vito (several faults!), and on daughter's Corsa.
It has not been able to read codes on this RCZ, and on our Peugeot Boxer.
Is this typical for Peugeot, and hence, do I need a reader a bit Peuget-specific?

Pedro

Reaction score
I have a Topdon & a Foxwell NT634 & these will read everything in the system they will also both facilitate fuel trim freeze frame data whilst the car is in motion (handy to find if the HPFP is failing) the Foxwell can reset service lights etc both these cost less than some of the more costlier scanners which do far less for the price

SouthWestern

Reaction score
I have a Topdon & a Foxwell NT634 & these will read everything in the system they will also both facilitate fuel trim freeze frame data whilst the car is in motion (handy to find if the HPFP is failing) the Foxwell can reset service lights etc both these cost less than some of the more costlier scanners which do far less for the price
Thanks, the NT634 is one that I have been looking at. (Also 650 Elite). foxwell.co.uk say that these are not sold in UK and no warranty... anything to be genuinely concerned about? Do you still get updates - that's the thing I am most concerned about, though we don't have a new car...

Pedro

Reaction score
I had an email for updates around 2 months ago they were for Mercs plus a system update for service data reset so I assume they are still running the updates I am signed up online & have not had any info regarding scanners no longer being supported I bought both from ebay & have had good service from both although I have a suspicion these new generation Isoft versions may be also Foxwell as the design is exact in almost every detail but as I said the Foxwell has been used on my RCZ & on BMWs Vags etc with no problems