What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine fault light power drop

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Hi all, Engine Fault light came on with drop in power rcz 1.6 156 37000m turned back home stopped within 5 mins. Had mobile mechanic call he replaced spark plugs and car was fine for 3 days when it happened again, close to home I stalled and on restart the car ran fine but Fault light was on. Should I ask for coil pack? He said that was not problem on first visit. Thank you for ideas

Pedro

Reaction score
Check for this OBD code P0087 unless the HPF Pump has been changed stalling can be fuel starvation

Marmite

Reaction score
Well that’s how mine started , is it quiet when you start it from cold after it’s been parked up for the night ? Could be timing chain or if that’s good maybe high pressure fuel pump , I’d run a diagnostic test before you go any further

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Hpfp gets a lot of mentions on rcz troubles. I am at the mercy of garages so I will take your advice and see, will post info on outcome.
Thank you, Petrus

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Hpfp gets a lot of mentions on rcz troubles. I am at the mercy of garages so I will take your advice and see, will post info on outcome.
Thank you, Petrus

Flanners

Reaction score
Needs to be a sticky with flashing lights, given the amount that go wrong and the often needless pain and £££s owner's get shafted for.

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
So mobile mechanic returned today and had codes p1336 -7 -8 left to check where solenoid pressure sensor is on an engine plan. He said there was no code for HPFP showing

Flanners

Reaction score
Whilst each case is different I had those codes when my fuel pump went...may I suggest you get someone who know's what they are doing and get a code reader from eBay for around a tenner so you can read and reset codes etc. Have a look on here there are loads of posts about HPFP failure, codes etc. The mobile mechanic you have may very well be on the edge of the usual misdiagnosis and throwing money at parts that do not need replacement, wasting your time and costing you money.

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Sounds good Flanners thanks. My pal came over before the mechanic and got those codes and was talking about a BMW pump which is cheaper than. He has a mechanic who will go to it so he's next in line. I can't drive it in case it drops power again but my pal has a one car transporter if needed. Will post progress soon.

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
VVT solenoid fault symptoms have been mentioned by Peugeot dealership on the phone earlier, does anyone have any experience of this please? Just trying to cover bases and narrow down as had devil of a time with a 307 before

Pedro

Reaction score
VVT solenoid is surprisingly a common generic failure on the Prince engines & can be attributed to poor oil services
If I remember rightly P1336 is bad cam & crank sensor correlation which can be attributed to the ECU adjusting the timing due to multiple misfires this can be a VVT solenoid fault but to make absolutely certain ruling out a fuel issue you need hook it up to a scanner & do a live scan of the High-Low fuel trims checking for fuel rail pressure this can be done whilst driving the car & you can see on a graph the change when the engine is under load (accelerating) if the pump is failing the fuel rail pressure will drop off hence it will lose power

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Turns out it's the chain and pump once inspected by full set up garage.
The chain cost I have managed to get refunded by Peugeot the company. The pump I think is more a wear and tear item so I won't push that too.

Pedro

Reaction score
Guy on eBay Mike refurbs the pumps I believe he charges around £160ish cheaper than than the RRP hovering around £350 -400 ?

Richk

Reaction score
How did you get Peugeot to replace the chain, do you have warranty through them ? I viewed an RCZ in a Peugeot garage and they told me it would be an aftermarket warranty due to car being 8 years old and things like chains and Hpfp are wear and tear items which to me made the warranty useless. In all my years of driving never known chains go so quickly.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
How did you get Peugeot to replace the chain, do you have warranty through them ? I viewed an RCZ in a Peugeot garage and they told me it would be an aftermarket warranty due to car being 8 years old and things like chains and Hpfp are wear and tear items which to me made the warranty useless. In all my years of driving never known chains go so quickly.
Basically it’s an inherent design fault in the PSA engine originally it were down to the poor tensioner they are now onto the 3rd revision, the plastic guides were also a problem but these have been beefed up a little, once the original kit has been changed if you make sure the oil is changed regularly and kept clean and topped up the chain will be fine.

Richk

Reaction score
Didn't realise Peugeot would change them foc, just read so many posts of the chain change swallowing getting on for £1k.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't realise Peugeot would change them foc, just read so many posts of the chain change swallowing getting on for £1k.
Some dealers or should I say stealers? Are charging way over the odds for what is essentially a £500-£600 all in job