What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

EML Light

Woodso

Reaction score
Car has been sat all week, so thought I would take it for a run. All fine along the lanes, running like a gud un. Turned to go on the A41 on the 70 mph section for a blow, when in 4th gear foot going down, slight judder, EML light with "engine repair needed" message. It then went into limp mode, so turned to go home.

As limping along engine temperature dropped well below the usual 90. Stopped at home and with the engine running I thought I heard a tractor coming but it was in fact the cooling fan, which has never been on in the 3 yrs I have had the car. Turned engine off and fan kept on running for about 5 mins.

Went out to it about 20 mins later, started up and fan came on again, went down local lane and although running lumpy, not limping. Got home and this time when I switched the engine off, the fan stopped.

I am thinking Cooling Sensor but does anyone have any other ideas. I do not have a code reader unfortunately.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
The fan going ape is something they do when there is an issue.

I had coil packs go pop and got exactly the same as you. In more or less exactly the same circumstances. In fact I could deliberately make it do it, hold the gear till above a certain engine RPM and *ping* EML and limp home mode.

You don't mention petrol or diesel, only one of which will have coil packs, obviously.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd get it scanned for codes. I'd only ever recommend the correct equipment too. Based on past experience generic stuff can be very hit and miss.

Flanners

Reaction score
Yep sounds like classic HPFP failure symptoms. Mine failed in exactly the same manner giving her some beans onto an A road, had a coil pack replaced too. Get a reader on her. Personally I would get it recovered to a garage if you are not changing the pump yourself.

Pedro

Reaction score
Engine Temp fault will put it into limp mode & Fan full on as the ECU detects abnormal coolant issue best get the codes to rule out fuel pump if you go onto the 41 your not far from me & I can get my machine on it if your stuck ?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Depending obviously on fault codes, I would start cheap & work up. Coil packs (don’t just replace 1 do the lot if the codes indicate it’s that) then work up to the hpfp. If it says it’s coil packs, it might still be the hpfp.
I replaced 4 plugs, 4 coil packs & eventually fuel rail & hpfp before sorting more or less the same problem you are describing.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The Yorkshire man got it all done foc through extended warranty too 😁👍

csb64

Reaction score
Car has been sat all week, so thought I would take it for a run. All fine along the lanes, running like a gud un. Turned to go on the A41 on the 70 mph section for a blow, when in 4th gear foot going down, slight judder, EML light with "engine repair needed" message. It then went into limp mode, so turned to go home.

As limping along engine temperature dropped well below the usual 90. Stopped at home and with the engine running I thought I heard a tractor coming but it was in fact the cooling fan, which has never been on in the 3 yrs I have had the car. Turned engine off and fan kept on running for about 5 mins.

Went out to it about 20 mins later, started up and fan came on again, went down local lane and although running lumpy, not limping. Got home and this time when I switched the engine off, the fan stopped.

I am thinking Cooling Sensor but does anyone have any other ideas. I do not have a code reader unfortunately.
I had a similar incident,got car warm then opened it up and light came on,but did not go into limp mode,other time car not really warmed up put foot down and it was like the turbo packed up.Drove for 30 miles and let car sit for 30 mins started up and problem gone and 700 miles later still all ok.

Woodso

Reaction score
I have taken it into my local garage in Tattenhall and they will get the reader on it on Monday, they are very good and I have used them for years. As they say, when shit happens, it does. Took the wife's 2012 Citroen C4 for it's MOT this morning and it failed on front pad's being less than 1.5 mm, so that is going in to the same garage on Tuesday for new pad's and disc's. This will be the 1st replacement set on the front since it was new and it has done 86,600 mile's, so not done too bad. considering the RCZ has had new one's at 35,000 miles. I also noticed today that Aldi have a code reader on sale for £16.99 but I don't know how good it is, I would rather leave it to the professional's for diagnosis.

Last edited:

Nemi

Reaction score
I have 10 eur code reader which showed the same error codes as the ones provided from professional code reader so i guess the codes are accurate

Flanners

Reaction score
I had a similar incident,got car warm then opened it up and light came on,but did not go into limp mode,other time car not really warmed up put foot down and it was like the turbo packed up.Drove for 30 miles and let car sit for 30 mins started up and problem gone and 700 miles later still all ok.
Start putting some cash away every week/month......😀

Woodso

Reaction score
Well it appear's that it has been misfiring on Cylinder 4, they have cleared the fault but is is still running rough. They have ordered a new set of plugs and a coil pack, due 1st thing in the morning. Replacing plug's 1st as they have never been changed and done just short of 36,500 miles and will only fit the replacement coil if needed. I think I will invest in a code reader for the future.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think HPFP failure usually throws a C4 misfire code.

Pedro

Reaction score
Sounds like you may possibly have fuel issues plugs & coil packs can show a static misfire Bank 1 however fuel trim & fuel rail pressure will also cause this problem together with a failing HPFP & possibly fuel filter problems another one to watch out for with this fault is a vacuum leak (common on these Engines) causes running lumpy/erratic idle & acceleration issue maybe check the air intakes etc