What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dunlop Sportmax RTs

hubcaps

Reaction score
I'm getting Dunlop Sportmax RT tyres in the standard size (235/40/19) next week. I'll let you know in due course how they perform. I hope they'll be a lot quieter. :dance:

A

Anonymous

hubcaps said:
I'm getting Dunlop Sportmax RT tyres in the standard size (235/40/19) next week. I'll let you know in due course how they perform. I hope they'll be a lot quieter. :dance:

These tyres have had great reviews on another forum l am a member of even better than Goodyear Eagle F1's that are standard fit on my car...so your opinion of these would be of great interset to me...i have read they are very quiet tyres rated at 68db's..softer though than the Conti's :eusa-think:

hubcaps

Reaction score
They probably won't last as long as the Contis, but the soft compound is one of the ways of getting the db level as low as 68. Should be more comfortable too. The conti 3 is such an old tyre now and advances in tyre technology over the last few years have been amazing. Especially motorbike tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I was thinking to buy a set of Michelin Primacy 3 - I will be interested in how you get on with the Dunlops.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Michelin Pilot Super Sports is my selection for out-performing any other road tyre on the market. But anyone selecting something different from the factory Conti's gets a :thumbup:

t110jim

Reaction score
Very interested to find out how the dunlops perform the other option I was looking at at vredesteins

A

Anonymous

hubcaps said:

What do they retail at a corner?

A

Anonymous

Actually see them on mytyres for 28% less than the RRP and coming in at fractionally under £210 (unfitted).

hubcaps

Reaction score
I'm paying a bit more than that (£260), but the place that's fitting them are the only ones round here that can balance wheels properly. I trust them not to damage anything either. I dread to think how much over the years I've shelled out in trying to balance wheels!

hubcaps

Reaction score
Fitting cancelled! Out of the country.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all, :greetings-wavingblue:

A recent post on tyres is decibels to my ears as I'm going to replace the two front rubber hoops on my Z shortly and was wondering what to go for. Hearing other Z owners views are welcomed as general tyre reviews from like tyres BUT fitted on other vehicles isn't always the best reference.

Ive seen that Goodyear F1's (new version) are fitted on the RCZ-R and so was wondering how these generally perform against the Conti 3's that we all know and largely still have I imagine. I specifically mention the F1's as sometimes when a vehicle is updated/ sportier model released, to keep costs down they down spec parts to help keep the unit costs down. Coming from a motorcycling background some tyres that are OE are not always the best choice and hence me specifically asking about the F1's in comparison to Conti's BUT would like to hear opinions on other premium brands such as Dunlops, Michelin's, Bridgestones etc.

Hopefully we can get a post running thus creating our own much relevant and useful RCZ Tyre Reviews from a spectrum of tyre brands, EVEN including opinions of shamed Z owners who have opted for budget rubber hoops :thumbdown: ,,purely for reference they may decree :eusa-think: - SHAME ON THEM !! :clap:

.the big blue (the back bencher returns to the house)

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
the big blue said:

A recent post on tyres is decibels to my ears as I'm going to replace the two front rubber hoops on my Z shortly and was wondering what to go for. Hearing other Z owners views are welcomed as general tyre reviews from like tyres BUT fitted on other vehicles isn't always the best reference.

Ive seen that Goodyear F1's (new version) are fitted on the RCZ-R and so was wondering how these generally perform against the Conti 3's that we all know and largely still have I imagine. I specifically mention the F1's as sometimes when a vehicle is updated/ sportier model released, to keep costs down they down spec parts to help keep the unit costs down. Coming from a motorcycling background some tyres that are OE are not always the best choice and hence me specifically asking about the F1's in comparison to Conti's BUT would like to hear opinions on other premium brands such as Dunlops, Michelin's, Bridgestones etc.

Hopefully we can get a post running thus creating our own much relevant and useful RCZ Tyre Reviews from a spectrum of tyre brands, EVEN including opinions of shamed Z owners who have opted for budget rubber hoops :thumbdown: ,,purely for reference they may decree :eusa-think: - SHAME ON THEM !! :clap:

.the big blue (the back bencher returns to the house)

What you want from your tyres will depict the first thing you want to look at (e.g. longevity, less noise, grip, M+S, etc.). Then you can start looking and comparing brands. Bottom line is that you cannot have a long lasting tyre that grips extremely well and performs in snow ;)

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi RCZ Performance, :greetings-wavingblue:

I hear and appreciate what your saying, I was looking upon it as the best all rounder with regards to a summer tyre for general usage which includes sum spirited usage from time to time when the car makes demands it. The problem being I've only ever known the the stock Conti' 3's on my Z' and hence have no point of reference with regard similarly priced black rubber hoops.

On sports motorbikes i'd pay around £170 for a rear pirelli super corsa OE road legal super stock road/race tyre that would last around 3500 miles and so the general longevity of car tyres has always been great in comparison, although up to now i've not had to pay quite so much for my cars tyres ,,courtesy of 19 inch rims the cars been both blessed & cursed with!

I believe that you favour the Michelin's and so hearing your opinion in comparison to the Conti 3's would be useful and similarly those who have the Goodyear F1's on their RCZ-R's or the guy who was keen on getting the Sportmax RT's.
Being new to performance car tyres no one wants to buy tyres that leave you immediately thinking of the tyre you're going replace them with when you next come to change.

.the big blue

A

Anonymous

Think you should start a thread on this Big Blue and command the attention of the house. :thumbup:

Oh and personally I really don't rate the Contis...never have. They're poor in the wet, noisy and I don't find them particularly hard wearing. Until recently we were just quite restricted in our choices. Some research recently shows that a few more options are now available to us. Thank goodness for that!!

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi and thanks mrizzle, :greetings-wavingblue:

I hope that this thread continues and that the House gets behind it as we all need tyres and I'm sure I imagine like so many others would simply replace the original Conti 3's with the same rather than experiment believing that they must be the best tyre for the car because thats wot they come out of the factory with and their expensive cost suggests they must be good BUT are they?? ! :eusa-think:

It was a result of seeing an RCZ-R the other day in a showroom shod with the newer Goodyear F1's that sparked my interest in rubber :oops: ,,,for the Z !!

Hopefully Forum members will continue this thread and we can hear of their experiences of tyre choice which is growing in the 235 40 19 size which might also bring prices down now theirs less of a monopoly.

.the big blue (as a back bencher i now let the next honourable person continue this thread Mr/Mrs Speaker)

hubcaps

Reaction score
As I see it, the only problem with the Goodyears is that they are 92 load rated which you wouldn't notice on the road, but come the day when you prang it you can bet your arse the insurance company would. I don't know however what Goodyears the R is on. As for the Contis. My previous car was a Mazda 6 2.2 diesel sport. When the Falken 912s (225/45/18) wore out I stuck a set of Conti 3s on it. Big mistake. VERY noisy and somehow didn't suit the suspension setup. I scrapped them and got a set of Falken 914s. Only 2db difference, but much, much better. Then I get the RCZ and the bloody Contis are back! I know I've cancelled the RTs for the moment, but I'm undecided whether to go for the Vredestiens or the Dunlops.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
I wanted extreme performance in the dry and great control in the wet. I am not worried about snow or mud. So the Michelin Pilot Super Sports came out on top from all of the reviews I read and found at the time. They are extremely soft but more importantly they give me the confidence when cornering (I had no confidence with the Conti's). I did research other tyre brands but still the Michelin PSS's came out on top. They have the right load rating so no problem there. They also out-perform other tyres under braking. I run the same size as factory as they are available.

I have never had good results with Goodyear tyres on non-US cars, yes they make a great tyre for US made cars (heavy and non-cornering type cars...lol), but the F1's that Goodyear put out are the only ones I would consider for cornering and would consider for the RCZ. But still they were not as good as the Michelin's IMO, but they are starting to grow on me from test results I have seen lately.

I have the following suggestions to people when it comes to tyres:
- you get what you pay for
- buy tyres you trust and ones that provide what you are looking for out of them (e.g. quietness, longevity, adhesion, etc.)
- do not buy a tyre because the tread design looks cool, that is not always a good sign of a quality tyre and may not work well under certain conditions
- make sure that the tyre you buy is for your car and does not put you in jeopardy if looked at by insurance companies (e.g. load rating)
- buy tyres that fit the wheels you have (not too narrow or too wide)

Tyre discussions are always going to be interesting because so many of us have opinions about which ones are the best. Well the best tyres for you may not be what is considered the best on the market, but the ones you want.

At this moment I am sticking with the Michelin PSS's until I see another tyre that can substantially offer something more (excluding those tyres that are made to work on the street and track - grooved track tyres that get street use approval, those tyres definitely work well but have a downside when used on the street more than the track). For now it's my comfort and confidence that matters for how I drive my RCZ.

A

Anonymous

I have Goodyear F1's Assymetrics 2 standard fitment on my car 235/40/18,for a start they look great :cool: in the summer they where amazing so grippy confidence insipiring really,but very firm they are not soft tyres.Cars first winter, they shed water extremely well and are still very quiet tyres,as for wear 5mm left after 9k miles pretty good.My tyres have a anti kerbing type of sidewall aswell which is nice,they are roughly £165 a corner for my car.

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
Just my 2p worth.

I've not been impressed with the Conti's on my car. They appear to be pretty good in the dry but I have no confidence in them in the wet.

For anyone around the Derby area there is a lovely sweeping right hander coming off the A38 onto the A516 Northbound which I have taken many times in the wet on a sports bike into 3 figures. I took it the other day in the RCZ at 70 and had a big front end slide straight on (does anyone else find it amusing when the wife does that grab the door handle, centre console and hit brakes movement thing sitting in the passenger seat :mrgreen: ) it's duel carriageway and fortunately there was no one in the other lane. I would have expected it to take it quite comfortably but was a little surprised it let go so easily.

However to be fair, the car has now done 16K and is still on its original tyres, although they have been rotated front to back and visa versa.

I've always rated Michelins for the wet on both cars and bikes. So I'm also interested to hear how people have got on with other makes on their Z's. I will be changing my tyres at the start of the summer.

the big blue

Reaction score
Im glad that this thread is continuing as its good to hear other Z' owners thoughts and opinions on rubber hoops, RCZ performance makes some valid points ,,including his wise words on 'American automobiles' which have little improved since the days of watching Starsky And Hutch (talk a bounce bounce and wallow) !

I was looking up the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's and I too noted that they only seem to have a load rating of 92Y in a 235 40 ZR19 size, and so was left wondering whether the RCZ-R that has those F1 Asymm 2's factory fitted is only shod with 92 load rated tyres??

Hi' jassyo06, you mentioned that you had F1 Asymm 2's (and hopefully your Z' hasn't taken on the handling characteristics of a 70's Pontiac :eek: ), you stated they were on 18's OR did you mean 19 rims? ,,if the latter are yours 92Y load rated?

From the generally adverse comments about the stock Conti 3's ,,I doubt that anyone has risked their hard earned cash on the newer Conti 5's, BUT if so speak up as that way we'll all know whether Conti's in general can be consigned eternally into the abyss ! :twisted:

Hopefully there will be further input on this thread from many Forum members so that we can create our own recommendations which will be different from that of our Peugeot dealers i'm sure !! :beer:

.the big blue (thank you for your patience in listening to this Forum Back Bencher who has no affiliation to Continental Tyres)