What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Drive Belt replacement

Woodso

Reaction score
My drive belt has started squealing, I can see that the tensioner is at it's stop, so the belt will need replacement. The tensioner has a large nut and "peg" to hold it open and whilst I do not have a socket big enough, I have a basin spanner that I use round the house on plumbing jobs and it does release the tensioner to hold it open, so I will be using that. I can see that there are actually only a couple of grooved pulleys so I thought that replacement should not be a major issue and only take a few minutes. I have however noticed that at the rear of the biggest pulley towards the rear of the engine, there does seem to be another tension pulley getting it's drive by friction.

My question is how do I release this pulley and can I do it from the top as I cannot get access from below as I have no ramps, lift etc.

Last edited:

chrismac

Reaction score
Be very careful that the basin spanner does not fly off. The amount of damage that can be done is frightening. You can buy individual sockets from any Halfords.

Pedro

Reaction score
My drive belt has started squealing, I can see that the tensioner is at it's stop, so the belt will need replacement. The tensioner has a large nut and "peg" to hold it open and whilst I do not have a socket big enough, I have a basin spanner that I use round the house on plumbing jobs and it does release the tensioner to hold it open, so I will be using that. I can see that there are actually only a couple of grooved pulleys so I thought that replacement should not be a major issue and only take a few minutes. I have however noticed that at the rear of the biggest pulley towards the rear of the engine, there does seem to be another tension pulley getting it's drive by friction.

My question is how do I release this pulley and can I do it from the top as I cannot get access from below as I have no ramps, lift etc.

chrismac

Reaction score
Here you go........

Attachments

• Aux belt.pdf
    305.3 KB · Views: 77

Woodso

Reaction score
Thanks for that Chris, will give it a go if I can get at everything from above, if not I am stuffed. The replacement belt is only a few quid, so nothing lost if I cannot do it due to access.The basin spanner is perfect for releasing the tension, checked and tested. Just a thought to throw out there, if the belt has stretched enough for the tensioner to reach it's stop, would it be a bad idea to "pack" it out, so that the tension is thus increased on the belt, cos it doesn't seem to be damaged in any other way.,

Last edited:

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my drive belt after a Peugepot "free" diagnostic showed the current belt is cracking. (they wanted £100 to replace it).
I can release the tensioner and lock it with the pin OK. I can see the belt now has slack. When I pull the friction wheel release tab though, it seems jammed and does not release the friction wheel.
I dont want to pull on the release cable too much in case I break it. I cant remove the belt either, as it is still "trapped" by the friction wheel.
Anybody got experience of what may be causing this? Or what to try next? 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
Maybe the mechanism is goosed try & drip a little thin oil down the cable it may be dirt holding it back form releasing properly

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
Thanks for that Pedro. Just went out to see if any oil would help and the friction wheel moved before I had to do anything!
Only thing I can think that has changed is the engine has cooled more. Might be useful for someone else in the future. Maybe check the friction wheel on a cold engine?👍

Woodso

Reaction score
I found it tough to pull that tab, so I put a cable tie round and used pliers and it popped out.