What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Does RCZ-R need special clips for windscreen?

misterx

Reaction score
Well, its now two weeks since I notified Autoglass that my windscreen needs replacing due to a large (25cm) crack in the centre bottom of the screen, caused by a small impact that spread.

They made an appointment for last week and an hour before they were due to arrive I had a call to say they were awaiting special clips and had to postpone the visit. Every time I have called since then, they say they are still waiting for the special clips. Latest is they hope to be able to come out to me on Monday next week.

Fortunately the car is drivable but if the screen had been fully broken I would have been without transport for over a fortnight. Are they spinning me a load of B*$$sh$t or are there really special clips needed and are they really like gold dust?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I had to have a new screen in my Z a few weeks after getting it. It wasn't autoglass that did it, as I contacted my insurers who arranged for someone to come out & do it, but it was just a standard car glass repair company.

As far as I remember, the guy sealed the screen in place, and I don't remember seeing any clips being used at all.

I was surprised at the extent of dismantling required just to replace the windscreen, having had a few screens done over the years in various cars, this was by far the most work involved.

I would try calling another company and asking them if there are any special requirements for replacing a Z front screen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 3,118

misterx

Reaction score
Not as easy as calling another company. Autoglass are the only company approved by my insurers. If I go elsewhere the excess I have to pay will rise and there is a maximum payment that won't cover the screen itself. Ironically the insurance was taken up through Peugeot when I bought the car.

A

Anonymous

Looking at how much dismantling has to be done I would guess that the special clips aren't for the windscreen but are spares in case other trim clips break. After all, what would be the point of them replacing the glass but leaving the roof arches off because a clip broke during the dismantling. So that would be my guess :?:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
stevebasshead said:
Looking at how much dismantling has to be done I would guess that the special clips aren't for the windscreen but are spares in case other trim clips break.

Could be right with that one Steve. :idea:

As far as calling another glass company, I realise you will probably have to go with whichever company your insurers use, but there is nothing to stop you simply asking the question of another company, you don't have to use them.
They may not be able to tell you over the phone as it will only be the admin dept you speak to, and they are likely to say the fitter will advise when he comes out, but on the other hand, if Autoglass "knew" they needed clips before coming out, maybe another company will know :eusa-think:

tianorth

Reaction score
Have a word with your dealership and find out what's involved in replacing a screen, then you can see what clips are required.

You can also see how long it would take to order the clips and get them.

misterx

Reaction score
An update: Autoglass duly visited today as scheduled and fitted the screen. It was a long-winded process as has been described earlier on this thread. HOWEVER.........

Two hours later when they came to refit the rear view mirror they found that there was a mismatch between the size of the cavity that is an integral part of the new screen, and the size of the boss on the mirror fitting. This means they are unable to refit the mirror to the new screen and will have to order in yet another screen. I now have an email to say the second new screen will be delivered to them available on Friday.

In the meantime I'm off to Halfords for a sticky-on mirror so I can see what's going on!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So glad my insurers didn't use Autoglass :lol:

One point though, the fitter had a REALLY bad time re-fitting the rear view mirror. It took him longer to do that (and around 5 cigs) than it took to replace the screen. :sleeping-yellow:

In the end, he dismantled the mirror housing. That made it easier to re-fit the mirror, but then he couldn't get the housing back on. :eusa-think:

To be honest, I don't think he ever managed to get it back on perfectly, but you can't really tell to look at it. :shock:

Good luck for Friday, keep us posted, maybe a few photos of the job in progress....... ;)

misterx

Reaction score
Friday came and went, unlike the technician from Autoglass who failed to arrive and failed to call me to cancel the appointment. Was meant to be with me between 13:00 and 18:00 so when it got to 17:30 I knew I had wasted my afternoon. I called them and they said the had run out of time and would reschedule for next Friday, 30 Jan. Not happy. Will be calling in at the main dealer's service department later today to ask them for a second opinion. Will wait to formulate my official complaint to Autoglass until it is resolved one way or another.

tianorth

Reaction score
If you don't want to be messed around next time you can go to their depot at the time they stipulate and have it seen to there. At least this way they can't mess you around.

misterx

Reaction score
tianorth said:
If you don't want to be messed around next time you can go to their depot at the time they stipulate and have it seen to there. At least this way they can't mess you around.

I thought of that when the last appointment was broken but when I offered to take the car there (nearest depot is ten miles away) I was told that the next appointment would be no quicker to arrange. true, they'd have had to sort it next time if i was at their place.

Anyway, I have a result as the service department of my local dealer have managed to refix the mirror for a labour cost of about £55 without replacing the screen again. Not only do I get my £75 excess back from Autoglass but it doesn't go down as a claim. Effectively Autoglass have replaced my screen free of charge. This is the least they should do, given the inconvenience they have caused me. I have saved them the trouble of replacing it for a second time, which it transpires was unnecessary and was only going to happen due to their technician's incompetence.

misterx

Reaction score
tianorth said:
Any idea how it was done just in case someone else has to go through this?

As far as I am aware it was simply a matter of lining everything up before "twist and clicking" the mirror back into the housing. It fits directly onto a mount that is attached to the screen itself, and variations of 1mm or so can make it tricky to line up.

It is an unscientific matter of wiggle it around until you hit the right spot, very difficult as you can't see what you are doing. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread by DKZ5745 who has an RCZ R and needed a new screen, refitting of the mirror took as long as fitting the new screen. It seems that it is simply a very fiddly job and Autoglass ran out of patience.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
tianorth said:
Any idea how it was done just in case someone else has to go through this?

From my recollection Chris, the metal connector is a strange unequal 5 sided shape, which as misterx said, has to be lined up correctly, pushed into place, and then twisted to lock.
The problem is that the plastic cover obscures the metal connector, so you cannot see to line it up. This is why after an age of trying, my fitter dismantled the plastic cover so he could see what he was doing. After that it was only a matter of minutes to push click & turn but then......... It was almost impossible to re fit the plastic cover once the mirror was in position.

I had thought it might just be my fitter who wasn't very good, but it seems it wasn't an isolated occurrence. :shock:

Methinks a design faux pas. :eusa-think: