What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Does RCZ have the some as 206?

A

Anonymous

Does the RCZ (200 hp) suffer from the same problem with the engine that Peugeot 206 1,6 VTI suffers from? Something with water in the oil if I rember correctly. It is the engine that Peugeot has together with BMW.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I know, cokeing up and timing chain/tensioner issues.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

RCZIain said:
From what I know, cokeing up and timing chain/tensioner issues.

I'm thinking of bying a RCZ from 2012, but does this mean that I should not ?
Or is there any way of preventing this ?

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2011 and is in perfect health.
Tensioner/chain issue is easy to diagnose, the car sounds like a clattery diesel from cold. This could well have been sorted by the previous owner.
The coking up issue, is from what I understand an issue with all direct injection engines not just with the RCZ.
They don't like sitting idling for long periods.

This would cause poor idling and general loss of performance.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
I have been wondering about the tensioner on my 2011 (60km on the clock now). It rattles a little at idle when cold, but is fine about 1 min later. Rekon it's worth investigating or wait till the rattle becomes loud? The car is performing perfectly otherwise.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all answers, I will let the garage take look at this before I bye the car or nor.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
SilverGTi_6 said:
I have been wondering about the tensioner on my 2011 (60km on the clock now). It rattles a little at idle when cold, but is fine about 1 min later. Rekon it's worth investigating or wait till the rattle becomes loud? The car is performing perfectly otherwise.

The THP engine does rattle a little when first started up from cold but you will know for sure if the timing chain kit needs replacement it just sounds like a Diesel engine.

It's not really a big deal £500-£600 to sort many owners wouldn't bat an eye to spend that kind of money on four new tyres!

90vanman

Reaction score
I've nearly stopped laughing at the remark about 'most people wouldn't mind spending £500 to £600 on a SET of tyres!!! Not so long ago I spent £224 on one tyre, albeit from a Peugeot dealer. 'Is it me?' I often ask myself, or are marque dealers just rapists? they always seem to have my trousers down, this also applies to Land Rover and Harley Davidson dealers, and my bum is pretty sore now! Unfortunately, most newish vehicles need a full DEALER service history to be worth more than two bob. I am perfectly capable of changing oil and filter air filter cam belt and most other jobs on most vehicles, but try convincing a buyer of that. Dave

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
90vanman said:
I've nearly stopped laughing at the remark about 'most people wouldn't mind spending £500 to £600 on a SET of tyres!!! Not so long ago I spent £224 on one tyre, albeit from a Peugeot dealer. 'Is it me?' I often ask myself, or are marque dealers just rapists? they always seem to have my trousers down, this also applies to Land Rover and Harley Davidson dealers, and my bum is pretty sore now! Unfortunately, most newish vehicles need a full DEALER service history to be worth more than two bob. I am perfectly capable of changing oil and filter air filter cam belt and most other jobs on most vehicles, but try convincing a buyer of that. Dave

I think it’s just another knock down tool dealers use to drop your trade in value and when you see some previous posts about poor dealer servicing there is no guarantee the car has been serviced any better than your enthusiast owner.

My Z is 8 years old now so I don’t think not having a full dealer history will affect its secondhand value much.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I've done quite a few jobs on my RCZ. Plugs, cabin and air filter, gearbox oil. I've left the oil and filter changes to a local garage though.
If I'd got bigger balls I'd have had a go at the chain and tensioner!

90vanman

Reaction score
Hi, further to my earlier remark about dealer service history, I am curious and a little worried about the effect that the current diesel paranoia will have on resale prices. I chose a diesel RCZ as it seemed a little more relaxed in producing its quite amazing performance than the little petrol engine. However, since the loonies like saddo khan and his ilk started spouting about the 'EVIL' motor car, what is going to happen to resale values. I also have a diesel Freelander, a vehicle of almost the same age as my RCZ, and the tales are beginning of slumps in value, but I will not change to battery power or wind power or anything else until there is nothing else left. I envisage a scenario the likes of MAD MAX, where the last diesel is kept running on chip oil with the forces of law and order in hot pursuit with almost flat AAA batteries. :eusa-think: :wtf:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
90vanman said:
Hi, further to my earlier remark about dealer service history, I am curious and a little worried about the effect that the current diesel paranoia will have on resale prices. I chose a diesel RCZ as it seemed a little more relaxed in producing its quite amazing performance than the little petrol engine. However, since the loonies like saddo khan and his ilk started spouting about the 'EVIL' motor car, what is going to happen to resale values. I also have a diesel Freelander, a vehicle of almost the same age as my RCZ, and the tales are beginning of slumps in value, but I will not change to battery power or wind power or anything else until there is nothing else left. I envisage a scenario the likes of MAD MAX, where the last diesel is kept running on chip oil with the forces of law and order in hot pursuit with almost flat AAA batteries. :eusa-think: :wtf:

Very interesting this whole debacle of the Diesel engine with all manufacturers experiencing 30% drop in sales last year alone ( figures in the UK ) and today I heard the loons saying to ban the petrol car in 10 years time !!! :wtf: :wtf:

I too envisage Mad Max scenes, what about all the classic cars? all the rich won't want to lose them, mind you they will probably be the only people who could afford the price for the last bit of fuel.

But in 10 YEARS time, that's not only weasels but petrol cars too - anyone know how long you can store petrol, going to dig a big hole and put underground tank in. Mind you they won't let you do that either - dictatorship I say.
Oh well we'll all be dead by the Russians - who cares. !

Cheers M :beer:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
My previous 3 cars were diesel. The last one a 200bhp 508 GT, but I felt it was time for something a bit more exciting.
Yes the diesels are a bit more reliable but I just can't see a diesel rcz being as engaging as a higher power petrol one.
Also the resale value issue crossed my mind so I chopped the 508 in before
I was lumbered with it, or have to accept a low trade in. Of course it may all be scare mongering, but £6.5k last year might have been £2.5k this year for all I knew.
So I jumped ship, and ended up paying £1500 cash for my RCZ :)

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
If those nutters B.R.A.K.E have their way we’ll all be traveling by horse and cart! :crazy:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Far too much pollution using a horse & cart, horse poo all over the place, no, it’s walking everywhere, if God hadn’t intended us to walk everywhere, he wouldn’t have given us legs :wtf:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Far too much pollution using a horse & cart, horse poo all over the place, no, it’s walking everywhere, if God hadn’t intended us to walk everywhere, he wouldn’t have given us legs :wtf:

Well I'm setting off for work now, should be there by Monday ..... See ya !! :greetings-wavingblue:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
DKZ5745 said:

Well I'm setting off for work now, should be there by Monday ..... See ya !! :greetings-wavingblue:

Giddy-up .... and don't forget bucket and shovel .... for the roses. :roll: :roll:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
stewartwillsher said:
Plecodoras said:
DKZ5745 said:

Giddy-up .... and don't forget bucket and shovel .... for the roses. :roll: :roll:

And ...
My Great Aunt told me ... her father drove a four-in-hand at about the turn of the century (19th to 20th that is).
Had his own wagon and did house removals and such like, competing with steam wagons.
Steam wagons ... filthy new fangled contraptions ... and no good for the roses either!

[sorry ... bad form following up one's own post, I know!] :oops: