What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Do we have an issue with the 19" tyres?

A

Anonymous

I have been a member of the forum for a very short time – bought the car on 3rd July, attended the get together at Silverstone, enjoyed a thoroughly great day. No complaints.

However, I have become increasingly aware that the tyre subject on the forum is causing a bit of an issue with no recognizable solution. Many ides etc but no firm solution.

The issue is the 19” tyres. Yes they are an expense, but agreed with members that this should be taken into account when buying and purchasing the car. But nevertheless a summary of concern is:

• The size is not immediately available – however brands that do them are Continental, Pirelli, and Bridgestone do them. There is another brand that was mentioned by a forum member – Falken – but had no joy researching this one.
• The circa price seems to be in range of £218.00 plus and upwards

My issue is not with this – but the fact that if we have a flat – we use the compressor/pump in the boot, which we had with the car - to get to a garage. They do not have stock, so we could be left without car for 1/3days? because the tyre is not a standard size?
By using the compressor/pump in the back – this will presumably make the tyre unrepairable? Hence we have to buy a new tyre?

• My question – if we have a flat – can we use the AA or the Peugeot assist package to tow us and where?
• Is it worth buying a tyre to keep in our garage at home for such an eventuality? Or two? This might save the car being of the road?

I get the uneasy impression that having no spare tyre in the boot and just having a compressor/pump situation causes us big problems?

How does the Forum think? Its stating obvious questions but ones nevertheless we need to ask? Do all Peugeot garages carry the size, is it worth buying a tyre spare to keep at home? What do you think.

A

Anonymous

I'd check what it means by no matching fit. I had a flat on my old car in Belgium - a local garage had an old remould that was a close enough fit with the instruction that I didn't drive above 100km/h and got it changed as soon as possible - but that it would do me through the weekend until I reached the Peugeot dealer I know in Brussels.

To be honest, it's not the end of the world being on the wrong tyre at a moderate speed for a short time. Just be aware it's a) illegal ; b) nowhere near as safe as proper, matching tyres; c) it is going to shake and knock your beloved RCZ so you really need to keep the driving to a low speed/minimum distance - but that's not going to happen in the first ten miles so different from "no driving at all". (To be honest, you'll get away with driving on a full flat for about 5-10 miles as long as you keep below 20mph).

The other option is find a cheap lightweight spare wheel rather than an expensive tyre. Again, illegal (except for the short distance to the garage) and not great on the safety but if you're extra-careful with driving and get it changed as quickly as you can manage then neither you nor the car should come to any harm.

One other thing to check is that on some tyre models the UK and European treads are different (to wash water out away from incoming traffic) which can lead to a big bill to achieve matching tyres. No idea if it's the case on this one.

A

Anonymous

I was hoping to get a space saver with a 5 stud pattern. However as space savers are generally quite small diameter wheels with high profile tyres, I'm unsure whether I'll be able to find one to fit over the massive brake discs and calipers at the front of the car?

The fallback could be to find a space saver that could act as a replacement for a rear wheel as the brakes are smaller and if a front puncture occurs then you have to play musical wheels and get a rear wheel on the front and the space saver on the rear.

Alternatively just go for a yearly subscription to a roadside recovery firm, which will cover this eventuality. I'm tending toward this option as it's a price comparison site away.

A

Anonymous

I had the same issue with my Volvo C70 I decided to buy a spare wheel and jack and kept the compressor just to top up the tyre pressures when needed.

A

Anonymous

Can't remember the exact tyre size of the 19", but was in a Ford dealership today and the Focus RS has 235/35/R19.

A

Anonymous

Ive got 19" wheels on mine and thinking perhaps I should carry a spare wheel and tyre to fit for emergency use. Certainly wouldn't want to do a Europe trip without one!

Will check with the AA to see what they would do if I called them.
Does anyone know what Peugeot Assist would do in the case of a flat tyre, instruct you over the phone maybe?

Greg

A

Anonymous

hi looking in the peugueot assist book i believe it only covers mechanical or electrical faults they will not come out if you have a flat put the incorrect fuel in or lock your keys in the car you can how ever upgrade the package to cover this like every else nothing is for nothing'i do my banking through barclays and with the account ive got i have roadside assitance but i still would like to get a spare for peace of mind i just dont fancy the inconvience

A

Anonymous

J_SLADE1 said:
hi looking in the peugueot assist book i believe it only covers mechanical or electrical faults they will not come out if you have a flat put the incorrect fuel in or lock your keys in the car you can how ever upgrade the package to cover this like every else nothing is for nothing'i do my banking through barclays and with the account ive got i have roadside assitance but i still would like to get a spare for peace of mind i just dont fancy the inconvience

This was the steer I got from my dealer too - I upgraded (for £20) to cover flat tyres, etc.

GT RCZ

Reaction score
im with you will buy a spare even it has to be a full size.

Cannot imagine the hassle of going through a recovery company for the sake of swopping a wheel in ten minutes.

A

Anonymous

GT RCZ said:
im with you will buy a spare even it has to be a full size.

Cannot imagine the hassle of going through a recovery company for the sake of swopping a wheel in ten minutes.
I agree that it's a hassle to go through the likes of Peugeot assist/RAC/AA just for a flat but I'm a 5'2" female and when I got a puncture on my 17" wheel a few months ago I simply couldn't budge the wheel and in fact it took TWO men to remove it from the axle (first time so maybe that was why!) so I have to rely on my recovery agency. However, I think having a spare tyre in the boot is a good idea in case they're going to be hard to purchase in the first instance.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. The summary as I see it are:

Problems – Buyers Beware

• The tyres are definitely a problem as they are not a std size: 235/40/R19

• Most tyre/come garages do not stock this size - and that would include Peugeot dealers!

• To get the size in stock would/could take a few days

• When you have a flat – the canister of gas/gung will be used to inflate the flat – thereby ruining the tyre – certainly making it un-repairable if it could be?

• On this basis – you not only have to pay for a new tyre, but also new gung!

• Are Peugeot dealers going to supply new gung canisters – or do we pay for them as well?

Issues:

• Peugeot Assist – as you have with your new RCZ only covers mainly mechanical damage as I understand it?
• On ringing Peugeot Assist and speaking to their ‘Extended Warranty Administration’ ( 0870 7527050) they can supply for £20.00 extra cover to cover things like keys lost or in the car-locked out, Missed fuel etc but not ‘Flat Tyres’ cover! Very helpful but not the cover we want!

Requirements:

The real issue as I see it, we have a flat, I want the car towed to at least see if I can repair the tyre? To the nearest dealer or tyre repair centre? I am being devils advocate here but

• Peugeot have left us in a vary precarious position as – if we are not prepared we will fork out £235.00 plus every time (whatever the cost of the tyre) when you have a puncture.
• There could be a possibility that more than 1 tyre goes at the same time – hence the compressor/gung will only cover one wheel and tyre? What do you do then?

Summary from the Forum so far:

• To buy a spare tyre now before the unthinkable happens?
• Do you buy a tyre and wheel – as some may suggest? Very expensive – and could it be housed in the boot?
• To keep it in the boot – I presume a tyre that is? If so, when you have a flat – how do you get the tyre on the wheel?
• Take out extra cover – for flat tyre scenario? AA are talking £95.00 for a call out!

The best suggestions so far seem to be in the scenario of 1 flat tyre:

• Buy a spare tyre
• Take out separate AA/RAC cover that covers towing to a garage with a flat tyre. This may make sense as you are covered for a period of time as opposed to paying call out charges for road side assistance?

Does the Forum agree?

FGRob

Reaction score
There is the option of reducing the profile to say 35 instead of 40, you are basically reducing the thickness of the tyre by 12 mm, but that then allow's you a better choice, there is even options for "Run Flats" at £179 each - not sure if they would work on our rim though. The cheapest price was £65 per tyre up to £200 for the high spec - so it's something to consider as there was a very big choice.

You could also increase your width to a 245 and go with a 35 profile, you are only 10mm down on thickness but you have the width to worry about - not sure if it would catch or not - but again in this size there are a lot more choices with a cheaper price range.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

I googled the tyre size and the first hit was an Alfa Romeo site:

"I've just purchase a new pair of tyres, in 235 40 R19 there is normally only two choices, pirelli’s or continental’s. EP tyres has launched the Accelira sport tyre retailing at around £95 per corner. Have any Ti owners tried these tyres?"

Reply: "I have them on my Brera - only done about 300 miles on them, but so far they are good in both wet and dry conditions."

A

Anonymous

hi checked today Best price quote for continental’s was 285 squid from eblys tyres cheltenham per tyre to 300

if you go for cheaper tyres will we be getting the same spec/ tyre tread as the continentals

i think you get what you pay for quality with the continental’s and i was told by eblys that they would last longer than other brands . they did not have tyres there but could get for next day. this could be the case for most tyre centres untill there are more calls to stock them or other car makes use the same size spec tyre.

just have to drive with extra care and avoid any potholes/ rubbish in roads!

RCZ1

Reaction score
rwhillis said:
Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. The summary as I see it are:

Problems – Buyers Beware

• The tyres are definitely a problem as they are not a std size: 235/40/R19

• Most tyre/come garages do not stock this size - and that would include Peugeot dealers!

• To get the size in stock would/could take a few days

• When you have a flat – the canister of gas/gung will be used to inflate the flat – thereby ruining the tyre – certainly making it un-repairable if it could be?
In 21 years of driving I've never had a puncture that was repairable :!:

• On this basis – you not only have to pay for a new tyre, but also new gung!
The gung is quite reasonable :!:

• Are Peugeot dealers going to supply new gung canisters – or do we pay for them as well?
Its up to you to replace the canisters - available from Halfords.
I've had the canisters on my last 4 cars - no spare wheel. Its never been an issue for me and the gung when I've had to use it as done its job admirably :!:

Issues:

• Peugeot Assist – as you have with your new RCZ only covers mainly mechanical damage as I understand it?
• On ringing Peugeot Assist and speaking to their ‘Extended Warranty Administration’ ( 0870 7527050) they can supply for £20.00 extra cover to cover things like keys lost or in the car-locked out, Missed fuel etc but not ‘Flat Tyres’ cover! Very helpful but not the cover we want!

Requirements:

The real issue as I see it, we have a flat, I want the car towed to at least see if I can repair the tyre? To the nearest dealer or tyre repair centre? I am being devils advocate here but

• Peugeot have left us in a vary precarious position as – if we are not prepared we will fork out £235.00 plus every time (whatever the cost of the tyre) when you have a puncture.
• There could be a possibility that more than 1 tyre goes at the same time – hence the compressor/gung will only cover one wheel and tyre? What do you do then?
Buy extra canisters - I do :!:

Summary from the Forum so far:

• To buy a spare tyre now before the unthinkable happens? Don't tyres have a limited shelf life ie they don't store forever - garages / tyre fitter places have quick turnarounds so stock is not stored for long periods :?:
• Do you buy a tyre and wheel – as some may suggest? Very expensive – and could it be housed in the boot?
• To keep it in the boot – I presume a tyre that is? If so, when you have a flat – how do you get the tyre on the wheel?
• Take out extra cover – for flat tyre scenario? AA are talking £95.00 for a call out!

The best suggestions so far seem to be in the scenario of 1 flat tyre:

• Buy a spare tyre
• Take out separate AA/RAC cover that covers towing to a garage with a flat tyre. This may make sense as you are covered for a period of time as opposed to paying call out charges for road side assistance?

Does the Forum agree?

The cannisters have always done their job when I've had to use them and have got me to where I wanted to go albeit driving no higher than 50 mph.
To me, its not an issue but then again, I will have 18" wheels - but the same scenario still applies.